Pool water safe???

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
We hung out in our pool a little bit tonight, we have steps that lead down into our pool. Vegas stood on the first step and drank some pool water, I freaked and brought him back inside. I started googleing to see if it was harmful and what I have found it won't kill them with the small amount as long as they drink fresh water more. So what do I do to keep him from drinking the pool water or do you know if it will be harmful. He wasn't drinking alot, but he did drink some. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] Do your bully's drink pool water?

And just for the record I was on him like flies on :poo: watching him on the first step. We do have a baby gate that goes completely around our pool that is locked 24/7. That was one of the main points of buying this house is that it did have a 4 ft. gate completely around the pool. Next....lifejacket, but I don't think he will like going in the water. I did put him in the floater chair at Christmas and float him out and he was scared and shaking. I brought him back inside.

C

Cooper11

I have no experience but you wold think the chlorine is so diluted he would have to drink ALOT for it to be harmful to him. When I researched it, it is said that the pool water is NOT detrimental to your dogs health but should be avoided. I think you got the right info when you googled it. If you catch him drinking the pool water just make sure he drinks his water also. But like I said I think he would have to drink ALOT for it to affect him. Just start telling him No every time he is about to drink it.....although I m sure that is hard. A pool is just Giant Drinking Bowl! :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
When we had our pool my Beagle and Lab would drink the pool water and they never had any problem with it. I think as long as they do not drink a lot of it or all the time it should not hurt anything.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I am positive that he can't drink enough pool water to hurt him.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
First [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] you know how much I loooooove your Vegas! I need a picture of him pool side!!!! My brothers Boston Terrier does it all the time and he never had a problem. Just like others said as long as it isnt alot and all the time!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Mine have drank some of the water without any problems. We use chlorine tablets. If they get to a point where they want to drink too much I figure it is time for them to go inside. Jesse is a stinker she loves to stick her whole face in the waterfall!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Our dogs drink the pool water all the time! Even when the pool is green. LOL I have been told by a friend that chlorine actually is a flea deterrent!

The only time is it bad is when you first Shock the pool. Then the water is too concentrated with Chlorine, so they can get over dosed. Abby and Bella have never had an issue with it, however Sophie does. If we forget and let her out after a shock treatment, she will get almost like a Chlorine poisoning, her eyes get glazed over and she pees all the time, in her sleep, on the floor in front of you. Like she has NO control at all. So now we will shock it at night, by morning it is fine.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I feel pretty confident on this subject as a certified pool operator....I know pool chemical.....chlorine, bromine, acids, etc. If pool water is balanced people and animals can safely ingest small amounts, however if the chemical balance is off then all bets are off and there are always new bacteria to be concerned with.... The other thing to consider is the delicate skin of our bullies....some will tolerate chlorine and other pool chemicals better.... I always rinse Schultz with fresh water to get the pool water off of him, as it makes him itchy when it dries.....mostly common sense is called for if fresh water is available poolside a dog will prefer it to the pool water...they are smart like that....

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION] we use chlorine tablets as well, we don't go in ourself if we have used shock or alot of chemicals and since we are new pool owners we have our water checked every two weeks to keep it in balance. It is free and about 2 miles from our home. Thank you for all your advice. I would not just let him out there with us to drink all that he wanted but I freaked that he drank just a little. Now although I am not just going to let him do it, I know it won't kill him.

[MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION]

christmas2011infl033.jpg

Christmas day, He likes to hang out on the first step, this is when we needed to add a little more water

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I feel pretty confident on this subject as a certified pool operator....I know pool chemical.....chlorine, bromine, acids, etc. If pool water is balanced people and animals can safely ingest small amounts, however if the chemical balance is off then all bets are off and there are always new bacteria to be concerned with.... The other thing to consider is the delicate skin of our bullies....some will tolerate chlorine and other pool chemicals better.... I always rinse Schultz with fresh water to get the pool water off of him, as it makes him itchy when it dries.....mostly common sense is called for if fresh water is available poolside a dog will prefer it to the pool water...they are smart like that....

Yep I agree! If they get in the water it dries out their skin and they will become very itchy. I give them a quick bath if I bring them into the water.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
@desertskybulldogs, @Bella'sMom @Saalwi we use chlorine tablets as well, we don't go in ourself if we have used shock or alot of chemicals and since we are new pool owners we have our water checked every two weeks to keep it in balance. It is free and about 2 miles from our home. Thank you for all your advice. I would not just let him out there with us to drink all that he wanted but I freaked that he drank just a little. Now although I am not just going to let him do it, I know it won't kill him.

@ChanelnBrutus

christmas2011infl033.jpg

Christmas day, He likes to hang out on the first step, this is when we needed to add a little more water

Awwwww :heart:,,, he has his Psycho Bully shirt on :ROFL:

mommydanford

Feb 21, 2012
Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly May Giggles, Mister Moe Wrinkles, Lil' Miss Jitterbug Wiggles and Calling All Angels Trudeaux
Molly gets in our pool and also drinks the water, but mostly licks it off of us. She hasn't had any problems with the water making her sick. She doesn't like to swim that much and will hang out on the steps or the deck.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online