Just for fun .... how many dogs is too many??

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
So this is just for fun!! :D

At what point does somebody have too many dogs!!!????? :bully:

We came over from England with just the two (shih-tzu poodle mix and mini schnauzer) and in the 3 1/2 years we've been in Ohio have managed to increase that by another 4, to make a total of 6!!!

I found that once you get past 3 dogs it becomes a "pack" and so the hairy crowd that follows you around the house merely gets a little bigger. So actually not that much of a difference ... just more friends following you around when you're cleaning the house.

So why do I get greeted by this look of astonishement and amazement when I happen to mention I have 6 dogs like I'm some kinda alien .... :p

One client actually said to me .........." You have six dogs .... six... thats SIX dogs?!!" So I burst out .... "You have eight children!" Childish I know ... but she does ....... (I'd rather have the six dogs).:rolleyes:

Like I said .. just for fun .............. please do not take offence if you too happen to have eight kids. <o

Weberbulldogs

Jun 24, 2010
North Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Halo & her Baby Moose & 2 Frenchies Herschel and Margo
At this time we have 5 dogs 1 english bully, 2 frenchies, a yorkie and a Chihuahua-mix, we have 6 if you count the Frenchie we co-own with my Mom :) . Maybe its just GA but 5 seems average around here :D

arimaeis

Aug 14, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ms. Piggy
I'm at a weight limit cap...
I have Ms. Piggy my little bully @ 45 pounds
Gabe, my mastiff/anatolian shepherd @ 230 pounds
and Bella, another mastiff @ 186 pounds

Three is a happy number for me.

mom2bullies

May 29, 2010
Auburn,WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chesty, Cadence and baby Echo and Mello (Delta)
Wow glad to hear that..... We have mom and dad bully....and three babies....problem is I don't want to give up the babies.... We will find out ....but glad to hear that 5 is ok.....:heart::heart::heart:

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
I have two, and want at least one more furry kid. I have had to "oversee" seven dogs at once, but they are owned by a dog trainer so it wasn't really too much work. Four or five would be my personal limit but also live in a smaller three bedroom home.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
So this is just for fun!! :D

At what point does somebody have too many dogs!!!????? :bully:

We came over from England with just the two (shih-tzu poodle mix and mini schnauzer) and in the 3 1/2 years we've been in Ohio have managed to increase that by another 4, to make a total of 6!!!

I found that once you get past 3 dogs it becomes a "pack" and so the hairy crowd that follows you around the house merely gets a little bigger. So actually not that much of a difference ... just more friends following you around when you're cleaning the house.

So why do I get greeted by this look of astonishement and amazement when I happen to mention I have 6 dogs like I'm some kinda alien .... :p

One client actually said to me .........." You have six dogs .... six... thats SIX dogs?!!" So I burst out .... "You have eight children!" Childish I know ... but she does ....... (I'd rather have the six dogs).:rolleyes:

Like I said .. just for fun .............. please do not take offence if you too happen to have eight kids. <o

You have 6 dogs? Six???

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Just kidding. Um, yeah. 2 is too many. Especially when they are named Orion and Vegas.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
We have 3, 2 Bulldogs and a Belgium Malanois. I don't know if there is a magic number. As long as you are capable of taking care of them and their needs, go for it.

We were watching Discovery the other night and they advertised a show about hording. The next episode was on animal hording, cats. Terri looked at me and said "Hey if you don't stop looking at puppy and rescue pictures, that may end up to be us" Who ever heard of a dog lady? It is always a Cat Lady.lol

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
As long as you can keep up with personal care, vetting,cleanup and most importantly love I think there's no upper number.

For some one is too many, for some the sky's the limit. :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great answers.

I love having 5. They are each different too, so I have no favorites. One thing I must admit, that I miss about have one is the personal one on one spoiled love and attention. Try sitting on the floor with 5 bulldogs for some love. You WILL get mauled!!! So one on one time has to be made, and planned. Organization and planning for me, because 2 don't get along. So yeah, it is much more difficult than just having one. Two is nice cuz they can be playmates, and you can still manage that one on one playtime and not get completely mauled on the floor!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I havent thought of how many is too many really. We only have the 2 now, my eb and my pug but I SO would LOVE another bully wether it be french or english etc. My hubby and I are both animal people and I think I am actually the rational 1. He would have already brought home 4 more dogs if it werent for me being logical about it all. haha. Our bed is full with the 2 we have so I dont know where we would get more room, the beds dont come any bigger than cal king. :p The limit here legally for the lot size is unfortunately 3, we didnt know that when we bought the house or we would have looked at a bigger lot size. SAD!

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Right now at my house I own 3 dogs. 1 American Bulldog, 1 English Bulldog, and 1 English Bulldog/Black Lab mix. But, then I foster French Bulldogs. The last one stayed for almost 9 months (because of health problems). So, usually 4 here.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I think it depends on the person/owner, the size of their house, how much time they spend at home, if they are willing and able to give them all the care they need. I have 2 now, my Samson and my beagle Loki. At home it's just me, my boyfriend and our furbabies. We own a 3 bedroom/2.5 bath townhome so there is plenty room for us 4. We have a backyard but it's only like 250-300 sq ft so I think we could get another bulldog or a small breed dog but I think it would be unfair to the pup to have a high energy breed like a lab. One day I'd like to have much more! I am going to school to be a vet tech and even though CA limits you to 3 dogs (unless you have a kennel license) there are alot of people in my classes that have ALOT of dogs and pets in general.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I think it depends on the person/owner, the size of their house, how much time they spend at home, if they are willing and able to give them all the care they need. I have 2 now, my Samson and my beagle Loki. At home it's just me, my boyfriend and our furbabies. We own a 3 bedroom/2.5 bath townhome so there is plenty room for us 4. We have a backyard but it's only like 250-300 sq ft so I think we could get another bulldog or a small breed dog but I think it would be unfair to the pup to have a high energy breed like a lab. One day I'd like to have much more! I am going to school to be a vet tech and even though CA limits you to 3 dogs (unless you have a kennel license) there are alot of people in my classes that have ALOT of dogs and pets in general.

Not sure if it is a city law or state but you are not limited to 3 dogs in Cali. It depends on the lot size apparently at least here in my city I can have 4 if my lot is 10,000+ sq ft. we didnt know this tho till after we bought our home and our lot is just under that. :( Not sure if 4 ,ay be the limit before having a kennel lisence or not tho?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Not sure if it is a city law or state but you are not limited to 3 dogs in Cali. It depends on the lot size apparently at least here in my city I can have 4 if my lot is 10,000+ sq ft. we didnt know this tho till after we bought our home and our lot is just under that. :( Not sure if 4 ,ay be the limit before having a kennel lisence or not tho?

I would say yes. I would assume that means because of the lot size you can have 4 without applying for a kennel license. Not sure whats involved in getting one. I've only ever looked it up by city and any city I have ever lived in here in cali limited you to 3, above that you need a kennel license.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online