Pedigree Dogs Exposed - Follow Up

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Anyone in Canada watching this tonight on The Passionate Eye?

These closed minded breeders are killing me. The (ridgeback) woman who says she puts down perfectly healthy puppies who are born without a ridge, oh dear...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I can not watch the show you are talking about... but your comment alone makes me very angry :cursing:

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I've never watched any of those, just because I know they will piss me off. :(

OP
Poppy

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
There was criticism on bulldog breeders that were more focused on looks rather then health (several other breeds were also brought up). Anyway they interviewed a bulldog breeder and I was just so horrified and embarrassed. She does care about the animals but you can tell her top priority was looks and show ring potential, health was way down the list.

The pugs are even worse!! I'm getting upset just thinking about it. Anyway I truly recommend everyone to get ahold of the documentary. It's very informative.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
There was criticism on bulldog breeders that were more focused on looks rather then health (several other breeds were also brought up). Anyway they interviewed a bulldog breeder and I was just so horrified and embarrassed. She does care about the animals but you can tell her top priority was looks and show ring potential, health was way down the list.

The pugs are even worse!! I'm getting upset just thinking about it. Anyway I truly recommend everyone to get ahold of the documentary. It's very informative.

Since I live in the states I will have to Google it, thanks for the heads up, I will check it out for sure. Better to be informed.

Got it bookmarked. thanks

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I can not watch the show you are talking about... but your comment alone makes me very angry :cursing:

Ditto. I can't watch those kinds of shows. I spend the next week so pissed off I can't even think. No thanks. Ignorance is bliss for me.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
I can't bring up this video from the CBC website because it kept saying unavailable. But I did watch the original documentary in 2008 just now. Now that makes me feel bad. Watson had to have the soft palate resection surgery like the pekingnese what was a champion at Crufts. Watson is neutered so he won't be passing on this trait but do you guys think because of our love of bulldogs that we are harming the breed because of all these exaggerated features?

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I have not and will not watch this but breeders who put down healthy puppies because of looks are missing the boat--there are a lot of us out there willing to pay good money for pet quality pups!

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
Why was she putting them down! That's ridiculous she should sell them as pet only with limited registration and a neuter/spay contract! Neither one of my bulldogs is show quality and I couldn't love them more! They are both getting fixed.

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Why was she putting them down! That's ridiculous she should sell them as pet only with limited registration and a neuter/spay contract! Neither one of my bulldogs is show quality and I couldn't love them more! They are both getting fixed.

she said the ridgeback without a ridge was not according to standard and she felt that lack of a ridge is associated with other genetic faults which is all rubbish because there is no proof of that.

the video isn't just about putting pet quality pups down but also how some of the breeds we have today have exaggerated features to the point where they have trouble just carrying on with normal daily activity

Last edited:
OP
Poppy

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
I can't bring up this video from the CBC website because it kept saying unavailable. But I did watch the original documentary in 2008 just now. Now that makes me feel bad. Watson had to have the soft palate resection surgery like the pekingnese what was a champion at Crufts. Watson is neutered so he won't be passing on this trait but do you guys think because of our love of bulldogs that we are harming the breed because of all these exaggerated features?

Personally I went with bullies due to their temperament and did my best to find the right breeder. My dogs are not "breed standard" and thank goodness for that.

I feel assured that they are not common because it takes special people to love and care for these dogs and be breed advocates. Since I've become involved with rescues I am SHOCKED at the amount of abandoned bullies :(

Some links to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O0l0f50AAk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6l7hl_pedigree-dogs-exposed-part-1-of-6_animals
(the audio is a bit off on this one)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.