Need ideas for a pet gate

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Hi Everyone,

Well the crate training isnt working. He keeps pooping in the crate even though I make sure he poops/pees before he goes in. Cant keep waking up at 3am cleaning poop off the crate, walls and then giving him a bath. I'm sleeping in the same room as him...hes doesnt whine to be let out or barks he just poos and then plays in it...by the time i wake up its too late. My work performence is being effected and I cannot let that happen since my line of work consists of helping people and making arrests ect.

Now, there is a section in my basement/apartment where Dozer has been staying that we would like to section off using a gate. The wall is 103 inches long and was hoping to find a gate that can be drilled/mounted directly into the wall or the stud of the wall. Of course we'd like to have a gate that can latch or lock so we can walk through back and forth. I made sure the area is puppy proof and this will atleast calm his nerves and give him plenty of space to run around for the 4/5 hours that we arent home for 4 days a week. I looked online of course but didnt find anything like that...maybe there is something that flew under the radar is categorized under a different name or somehthing; or maybe some members here have devised their own variety of what i explained.

Not sure if the pooing/peeing is seperation anxiety or what but considering he came from a puppy mill to a pet store all he has known is to soil his living space. I dont blame him but I have to adapt and make changes because it clearly isnt working. He doesnt even like staying in there even though I have tried and read all about crate training and making it feel safe/fun ect...he hates it.

Ideas???

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Can you bolt to both sides of the 103 inch opening?
If so, attach a 4x4 to each wall; then attach a 48" chain link gate to each 4x4.
That should be about 103" total. Adjust wood thickness as needed.

If not, making a freestanding fence wouldn't be that hard. Some 2x4s with cross bracing and then use garden fencing.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I just went on petsmart.com to look at the width of some of the products I had in my mind for you but none of them are that wide. Not sure what to suggest..........

kaikousha

Jan 25, 2012
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor & Odin
When we were looking for babygates I found several that drilled into the wall on Amazon. Also one at Petco. I don't think I can post links here so I'll try to find some of the ones I was looking at and PM you! :)

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
awww. as cute as pups are, puppy time is ROUGH. hubby and i are in our early 30s and we got lola as a puppy. i cried at least twice with overwhelming feelings of ..what did i get myself into...this is too much work. can you imagine what i'm going to be like with children!!?? but it will pass...and you will laugh about the hard times soon enough. i don't have any gate advice, but maybe have his last meal alot earlier, like 5pm, and no more food after that in the evening? try to manage the poop schedule as much as the crate situation. :) hang in there!!!!!!!

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
You can use a playpen too. I got a large rug and a 4x4 playpen for Watson. he stays in there during the day when I am at work. He is 60lbs now and there is plenty room for him vs the crate that I used to keep him in.

They only problem I see in all this is that a bigger space will not help with his potty training. He will not have a sense of his den and he will probably soil all over the area.

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Playpen !!! All the way. It saved our lives with Brooklyn. He would pee jn his crate and I hated that. He never learned. He has a gigantic playpen and loves it. His indestructible dog bed is in there with a blanket food and water. Not one accident to date! He's been in the pen since he was like 3 months old and we expanded the size as he got bigger. He's in there from 6am to 415pm no walks during the day! Highly recommend

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I feel your pain ... Daddy was a rescue from an amish puppy mill and we got him at 9/10 weeks old ...... pooped in his cage, played in it, threw it around, jumped up the sides of his crate so everytime you cleaned him up you had also minutely clean all those tiny little bars in his cage.

He was THE worst dog I have EVER had to house train. It was well over a year before he stopped peeing in his crate and in the house. He is now over 18 months and he still slightly pees his bed occasionally. I keep telling him that he will spend the rest of his days sleeping in the laundry room instead of progressing upstairs to sleep with the humans, unless he changes his ways!!!

I just think that Mummy bulldog is caged up in a puppy mill and because she is forced to pee and poop in her cage all her life then any kind of house training that a normal pup would pick up from it's Mum just isn't there!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.