What age do the stop the puppy barking and can hold it all night?

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Hi All,

Bongo is pretty stubborn about crate training for the most part he doesn't bark at night and if he does it's because he pooped in his bed :barf:. When we put him in there initially he will bark for about 10-15 minutes and then fall asleep we ignore it. He's 9 weeks old now so my question is in you experiance when did the whining and barking stop :cursing: and how old were your pups when they were able to hold it all night? so tired and here is Bongos mom with the breeders daughter.. Dads Iphone Mar 2012 033.jpg Dads Iphone Mar 2012 013.jpg

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I always used the rule for potty being 2 months 2 hrs 3 mnths 3 hrs 1 hr each mnth until you feel comfortable with no accidents...It took Brutus until about 7 mnths to be able to go all night as in about 10 hrs...Here and there he will wake me to go out but thats b/c he drank alot of water after 10pm...Our routine was first wake up go potty feed/water 10-15 mins go back potty and after about 1hr of play I would take him out again...after naps right away take him to potty and everyday I would try to wait a little longer..I dont have much advice with schedule b.c I aways took Brutus out every 1-2 hrs during the day! When you work its harder to train the puppy...Good luck with it...THe barking wil stop he is just trying to get you to take him out of the crate...If you want when he barks you could take him outside so he knows bark okay go outside potty...I tried to do that and it did work but after a whie ughhh getting up all the time was tiring...LOL

I like how you have the basketbal for a pillow and Bongo is so comfy :lol:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hi All,

Bongo is pretty stubborn about crate training for the most part he doesn't bark at night and if he does it's because he pooped in his bed :barf:. When we put him in there initially he will bark for about 10-15 minutes and then fall asleep we ignore it. He's 9 weeks old now so my question is in you experiance when did the whining and barking stop :cursing: and how old were your pups when they were able to hold it all night? so tired and here is Bongos mom with the breeders daughter..View attachment 18793 View attachment 18794

You got yourself nearly new born there son, how long have you had him one week? you got a long road ahead. Hope you enjoy your new puppy, they are like baby's. Right now he is feeling insecure from leaving his litter mates and missing his mom and old surroundings. Please be patient and do your home work. [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] gave you good places to start. Sounds like this is your first time.
All night could be 6 months old. Maybe Even longer, keep your cool.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
lola was about 4 months, maybe 4.5 before she slept through the night without going out. we stopped when we physically had to wake her up and scoop her out in the middle of the night to pee. if she doesnt want to get up, why should we ?? BUT we did give her a hamster bottle of water in her crate recently and she wet the bed both nights after she drank ALL the water. we only give her about a cup of water now, and only when she hasnt been drinking lately. watch the water intake at bedtime and it should give an indication. Lola is only 11 months but if we're home, she never leaves one of our sights.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I was blessed with a very fortunate situation... at 10 Weeks old he never cried, barked, or nothing and held his pee and poop until the next morning at 7am (solid 9 1/2 hrs). I don't know what made him adapt so well but I sure am not complaining.

I threw a night light in the basement area with no one in there and when I asked to go in the kennel, gave a small treat like ice cube etc and bamn, lights out and see you in the am. <smile>

Good luck, your early in the game but consistency is key and you will get the results your looking for just stick with it and do not give in.

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Beefy is 4.5 months old and he just started to hold it all night. I usually get up in the middle of night still just cause I have to tickle. I try to get him up so he can go out just in case but he gives me the "Woman, leave me alone" look.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
oh yeah! lola would get a kong with PB in it...which kept her entertained at least for those first 15 minutes. she always knew 'go to bed' and we only have to say it once, but she ALWAYS gets her kong with PB as a reward. and she has two nylabones in there as well. i used to give her a 'cookie' (a hard kong liver treat) but we stopped extra treats to get her to eat her kibble. now we just have to shake the kong and say peanut butter and she's in.

C

Cooper11

:) You have a newborn! Sorry to say but you are just beginning! Try to make sure you let him out right before you kennel him and make sure he goes potty. If he is pooping in his kennel he may just be stubborn or you have too big of a kennel for him. In my case Coop was stubborn. He only :poo: in the kennel a handful of time but when he did O Lord he rolled around like a pig in the mud! :barf: I don't know why they do that. If you notice him pooping in the kennel at a certain time then I would set my alarm and let him out cuz waking up sucks but it is so much better than waking up and having to clean poo out of the kennel. Cooper would whine when he needed out...usually wouldn't potty in the kennel unless I didn't hear him whining or if he had the runs or maybe some times cuz he was lazy.

I think around 4 months they tend to get the potty training under control but he will still have accidents here and there. Coop is 7 months and hasn't pottied in the kennel since December but he still had his random accident in the house when he just wanted to go pop a squat on my living room carpet right after he came in from outside :shout:

Hang in there the first 2 months are the worst....really similiar to an actual newborn baby. When they are this young it is just so hard for them to know right from wrong and i know you are like what the heck did I get myself into...:) We all say that! But in a few month you will be able to trust him enought to be out of his kennel and not having to watch his every move. I barely ever kennel Cooper anymore only if I leave the house.....he will sleep with us or roam the house and doesn't chew on anything or potty in the house. I trust him! :) Gracie on the other hand is a chewer and my step dad won't let her sleep in the bed cuz she snores hella loud! :blink: and she is a chewer so my mom doesn't trust her to have free roam of the house just yet.

These dogs are awesome and I know you are in love with your bully now but your love for him gets stronger and stronger the older your puppy gets!!! Good Luck! And hang in there! :)

C

Cooper11

O yeah were you the one who had the pic of you and your bully and he nipped you in the nose! :rofl: sorry that was so funny!!!!! bahahahahaha I laughed and had to show the family!!! Cooper was a biter....Gracie not so much...but Coop grew out of it. Those baby teeth are dangerous weapons and you will be so happy around 4 months when he starts losing them! :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Linus is now five months and its very "hit and miss" as to whether he holds it all night or not. Daddy is now 18 months and still "dribbles" a bit in his bed .. no idea why???!!! Not sure there is a right or wrong answer to your problem ... sorry!!!

OP
Fbjdd

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Thanks everyone for the help no pannick I'm in it for the long haul I love Bongo. He was just a lot different then our pug who was crate trained and litter box trained but we got him at 11weeks so he was older and more adjusted. Where as Bongo is fresh out of his litter and he's 9 weeks now we've only had him for a little over a week.
but I'm not worried just trying to get a feeling for what's normal.

OP
Fbjdd

Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Yeah he caught me really good it was surprising because our pugs baby teeth werent that sharp not even close. Bongo is a little shark lol.

C

Cooper11

Thanks everyone for the help no pannick I'm in it for the long haul I love Bongo. He was just a lot different then our pug who was crate trained and litter box trained but we got him at 11weeks so he was older and more adjusted. Where as Bongo is fresh out of his litter and he's 9 weeks now we've only had him for a little over a week.
but I'm not worried just trying to get a feeling for what's normal.
We don't think you are worried silly! We have all been there and done that and feel your pain!!! :) I had the same question as you did when I first got Coop. My other dog use to poo in his kennel when he was left alone and OMG I wanted to just die every time I came home and the kennel was brown inside of poo! He isn't a bully....when I got him he was 5 months old and knew nothing about going potty outside or that pooping in the kennel is a no no!

C

Cooper11

Yeah he caught me really good it was surprising because our pugs baby teeth werent that sharp not even close. Bongo is a little shark lol.

I feel you! Cooper would get my 2year old good somtimes and I would feel so bad. When I would play with Coop it would always be a short play cuz those teeth hurt so bad. But now with his adult teeth...soooo much better! I was so so happy when he started losing his teeth. To tell you the truth he was such a bad biter I was concerned especially having children I loved Coop but I didn't want them getting bit even tho it is just play Coop didn't know how to be gentle. Around 4 months when he lost his teeth he totally change. He is so laid back and loves to cuddle. And has stopped the biting!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.