Laser Pointers and your Bully

Mugmug

Jul 6, 2011
Miami, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mugsy, Baby (RIP), & Romeo
So I was jumping from video to video on youtube this morning and stumbled upon videos of dogs chasing laser pointers across the floor and having a great old time. Got me thinking....isn't it bad for their eyes?

Anyone do this with their bully? It's very tempting.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Too funny, he wanted that thing.

MikiLove

Jan 24, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Shia
I have done this with my bully. It is really entertaining. I don't think it can be too bad for her, because I don't do it for extended periods of time. Like maybe 5 minutes or less, and only when we NEED to wear her out, she has lots of energy!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We did this for YEARS with our guys... they love it and the trick is to make sure you keep it away for the eyes. We had to stop for two reasons --- Banks became OBSESSED where she would not engage/play with anything else and she developed coliatis so we have to watch her getting too excited.

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Omg it's the best! At night when it's dark in the room we would bring out the laser pointer (when he was a puppy) and it would make him sleep like a rock from bein so exhausted from chasing it!

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
YES...jameson is obsessed with the laser or the flashlight. it's to the point his ocd kicks in. he won't play with anything else...after breakfast we go out..then inside he gets a bone with pb so i can eat...then about 30 minutes later he gets the look. he starts huffing and puffing...pacing...looking at the place the light sits...coming over looking at me...pace some more...you get the picture. after dinner the same thing...it's total ocd...he could do it for hours if i allowed

C

Cooper11

My little boy got the Thomas the Train set that comes with a bigger train and a red light and the train follows the red light. I think Cooper liked this gift more than my son. Both Gracie and Coop chase ofter it....we will point it high on the wall and Coop tries jumping up and getting it. I have used this light to get Gracie to go down the steps to leave, I have used it to get Coop in the Kennel lol There are lots of uses for these light. The light that I have is pprobably 20 times as big s that little laser pointer. We laugh the whole time he chases it and my son loves playing with Cooper and the light! :)

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
Skyler plays with the boys with his laser pointer a lot!!! Not so much now that weather is a little warmer, but when it was still cool outside they wore themselves out trying to chase it

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
It's funny indeed but a very bad idea if done too much for any dog. It makes them obsessed in a sense that they're always looking for something that's not there. That's just my opinion. :)

Edit: Forgot to say :welcome: to EBN too! :p

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
That was a cute video. When I was a teenager we used to play with the laser pointer with ours cats. They would go nuts knocking stuff over trying to get that little red light! I've never tried it with a dog though. Tank is constantly looking for something enough as it is! LOL

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I have to agree with [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] I had a friend who did this with her boxer and now the boxer walks shaking his head! Im not even kidding...I have spoken with vets who say it could be bad to do with dogs due to the obesseive nature after not being able to get it after a while..just my opinion I could be wrong

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Gio is OBSESSED with chasing laser pointers, flash lights, reflections of metal, or anything! He could chase the laser pointer all day!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Gio is OBSESSED with chasing laser pointers, flash lights, reflections of metal, or anything! He could chase the laser pointer all day!

Banks is EXACTLY the same way....

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Gunny still loves it and has for years, maybe thats why he acts goofy all the time, I do it with a flashlight works well but after awhile he looses interest. but alot of fun for both of us were silly kind of guys.

gunnyride8.jpg

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.