New English Bulldog Mommy: Expecting

Audra

Mar 20, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Full of Bologna
Hi all,

I am bringing home my sweet baby Bologna in 4 1/2 weeks! I can't wait! i am super excited. My husband and i have been doing toooons of research and talking about getting an EB since fall of last year. We lucked out finding out a family friend had a beautiful EB having puppies right at the perfect time, and she happened to have one that looked exactly how i wanted. So i have been able to be close, meet, hold and visit Bologna since he was 5 days old.

I mostly wanted to intoduce myself and get some good advice on how i can prepare for bringing my new puppy home. My husband and i have had dogs growing up with our families but neither of us have ever had our own dog or specifically puppy. At the moment we don't have children, but have a mini piglet (8 weeks old and 4 lbs) who we love! We are hoping he and Bologna are best friends and keep each other company. But they will be so different to train and take care of. Any new advice for becoming an EB mom?

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Ask for advice and you shall receive! Um....first off......

I wanna see the piglet.

:pics:

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
Hi Audra! Congratulations on your new baby :) I pretty sure all of your questions will be happily answered here. I'll be looking forward to pic of him, and I can't wait for video of puppy & piggie playing!! That's gonna be hilarious :D

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:welcome: how exciting for you! My sister has piggies...I'm certain they will be buddies! Can't wait to meet your whole family! :hmm: bologna and piggy....I'm sure my Jake would eat them both! :ROFL:

OP
Audra

Audra

Mar 20, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Full of Bologna
Thanks everyone! Here are pics of Bologna our baby to be : photo.jpg

And Lincoln Casanova our piggie: full body.jpg

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Hi and welcome! Those are two very handsome boys your have there!!! I can't wait to see how they get along when you bring Bologna home. :)

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Welcome and both of ur babies are to cute 😁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldoggie371

Mar 11, 2012
Willis, MI
Bulldog(s) Names
Ciara, Boz, Echo & Aries
Welcome to EBN! Your babies are adorable! My advice would be don't let him out of your sight for a while! Lol. Give him LOTS of age appropriate toys to chew on or he will find other things.

OP
Audra

Audra

Mar 20, 2012
Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Full of Bologna
I would say my main questions right now are:

How old should he be when i get him neutered. I have heard early is good, i have heard 6 months to a years is good. I don't want him to ever be aggressive but i worry about him being stunted if i do it too soon. Since i have heard both i am wondering from actual EB owner whaty they did with their males.

2nd, i am terrified that he will be a money pit. I knew what we were getting into when we decided to get a bulldog. I knew they have a history of health problems, so i did my research and i have checked a lot into his family history. His parents haven't had any problems to speak of. But how do you deal with spending a lot on a dog already and then spending tons more if they have any major maladies?

3rd Shots, the lady i am buying my puppy from will be getting all of the shots done up to 8 weeks. What i have read is that you shouldnt have your puppy around other dogs/parks until he has had all of his shots. What shots will he still need after 8 weeks and at what age? I don't have to wait til he is 6 months for him to be around other dogs do i?

4th, one of the biggest questions is about potty training. I have heard the EB's are very stubborn and can be harder to potty train. We have a fenced backyard, a doggie door and a bedroom set up for my piggie that Bologna will be able to share. I do work and so does my husband. We are home a lot but gone a lot too. How do i even start the pottie training process? Keep him in his Crate while we are gone with puppy pads and take him out when i am home? would it be unwise to lock his crate in front of the doggie door so his two options are in the crate or outside? I would hate for him to forget how to get back inside and get sunburnt or hurt. How did the rest of you potty train and should i expect this to be a really long process?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I would say my main questions right now are:

How old should he be when i get him neutered. I have heard early is good, i have heard 6 months to a years is good. I don't want him to ever be aggressive but i worry about him being stunted if i do it too soon. Since i have heard both i am wondering from actual EB owner whaty they did with their males.

2nd, i am terrified that he will be a money pit. I knew what we were getting into when we decided to get a bulldog. I knew they have a history of health problems, so i did my research and i have checked a lot into his family history. His parents haven't had any problems to speak of. But how do you deal with spending a lot on a dog already and then spending tons more if they have any major maladies?

3rd Shots, the lady i am buying my puppy from will be getting all of the shots done up to 8 weeks. What i have read is that you shouldnt have your puppy around other dogs/parks until he has had all of his shots. What shots will he still need after 8 weeks and at what age? I don't have to wait til he is 6 months for him to be around other dogs do i?

4th, one of the biggest questions is about potty training. I have heard the EB's are very stubborn and can be harder to potty train. We have a fenced backyard, a doggie door and a bedroom set up for my piggie that Bologna will be able to share. I do work and so does my husband. We are home a lot but gone a lot too. How do i even start the pottie training process? Keep him in his Crate while we are gone with puppy pads and take him out when i am home? would it be unwise to lock his crate in front of the doggie door so his two options are in the crate or outside? I would hate for him to forget how to get back inside and get sunburnt or hurt. How did the rest of you potty train and should i expect this to be a really long process?

:welcome: to you and your family! Adorable pictures...

As far as neutering you will get different opinions..I would have loved to wait until at least 18 mnths but we had to have it done right away at 8mnths due to an issue with his private(prolapse urethra occurs in young unneutuerd males) not all bullies but some will have it if they are rough humpers ...lol...Some people say it stunts growth and others that did it around 6 mnths say there bully is still nice in size...What makes you comfortable I say do!

With spending money well I have no advice in that area! I never would have thought so young he would have a major surgery for something that isnt genetic or a disease just an injury ... There is no real way to forsee any money that will be spent on health...It does cost to maintain as far as good food, good hygeine and the beginning vet visits with the shots,dewormer, fecal sample could sometimes get expensive..I had to pay quite a bit for his surgery and I didnt have 3,000 on hand so they have Pet insurance, or Care Credit which is like medical credit card for you and your pet.

For the shots we didnt have Brutus around other animals besides his sister and my moms dog (i know they are up to date on shots and healthy) for almost 6mnths if not longer..he didnt go to parks, other peoples yards or where other dogs have been. There are about 6 shots that you will have to go to the vet for and they most likey wont do all at the same time they will be split up..just in case their is a reaction they wont know which shot caused it...We went every 2 weeks 1 shot until he was done. It was pricey b/c each time we paid the inital checkup and shot cost plus nails..There is a lot of upkeep to the bully.

For the potty training please please do not let the puppy ever roam anywhere unattented...They are just like children if not worse lol and want to get into everything and try to eat everything...Bullies overheat quick in the heat and in the winter if its too cold they could catch a cold themselves..I took Brutus out every hour or after eating, drinking...I would never give him full roam until he was accident free...Use a schedule that works for you and if you know your leaving or he is going to be crated for a period of time try not to feed/a lot of water before crating...I dont have much advice about craitng and leaving thanfully I was able to be home with brutus during the training fase...Again welcome and glad you found us

PS HOpe you can understand my ramble...Nice to meet you and cant wait to see more piggy pictures and of course Bologna pictures...CONGRATS!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and for your new pup. As far as the neutering goes, you will get a lot of opinions. My vet and this is what I do is wait at least until he is 1 year old. My vet likes to wait until 18 months, but at a year old should be good. Find a good bully vet, not all vets are good with bullies, so do your homework, find peeps in your area that have bullies and ask them who they take them too. Wait until he has his shoots at 16 week before taking him anywhere. Crate training is in my opinion is the best. Plus this will help with potty training. I do nor like doggie doors with bullies, but I live where it is hot and this is dangerous. They will go outside on their own and get hot and will not come back in, and the next thing you know you have a dead bully from heat exhaustion. Potty training starts as soon as you get him home. Take him out as soon as he wakes up, after playing, before and after eating, and if you see him sniffing around. At first it may be every hour or two. As far as the money goes if he has a good blood line usually you don't have that many problems. But keep a couple thousand around just in case. Here is an excellent article on bringing puppy home. Have fun and enjoy your beautiful pup and post plenty of pics of him.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/content.php?r=354-Welcoming-Home-Your-New-Bulldog-Puppy

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Welcome to the site. You have gotten great advice and I see David has directed you to the article here on EBN.

I am so glad you found us and I am with everyone else....I can't wait to see piggy/bully pics.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
The cheapest part about owning an English bulldog is the actual purchase price. Coming from good bloodlines is great, but it's not just parents you have to have to worry, it's everyone down the line. My baby has epilepsy. He comes from great lines. His father was the number 1 show dog in Brazil. None of his litter mates, his parents, grandparents, or anybody down the line have this. Yet I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars on him over the last 5 years. 90 percent of it having to do with epilepsy. Get insurance.

Crate training is the best. I would suggest leaving your bull dog in the crate unless you're home. Do not allow him to use the doggy door when you're not at home. Bulldogs are 1 of the top stolen dogs. They are worth a lot of money.
We neutered our male at 5 months old. He was starting to show signs of possession ..... and he is not stunted in growth at all. He does pee like a girl tho.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Thanks everyone! Here are pics of Bologna our baby to be :View attachment 18731

And Lincoln Casanova our piggie: View attachment 18732
:hiya: and :welcome: to EBN!! All I have to say is OMG you have two piglets....:laugh: Just kiddin'. I'm always calling Wilson, my male EB, a pot belly pig. :D
I'm on my third puppy in less than a year and the only advice I can give now is to have lots and lots of patience, it's going to be a busy next few months. :luv: Can't wait to watch them both grow up!! :up:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online