Adopted a 3 year old bulldog and have questions.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
f8d44126.jpg

OP
J

jw570

Mar 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Here is another question: Should I close her crate door (so she doesn't go in) while we are home so she explores some more? Or will this confuse her even more?

Thanks

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Here is another question: Should I close her crate door (so she doesn't go in) while we are home so she explores some more? Or will this confuse her even more?

Thanks
I'm no expert here on this but if it was my Lucy, I would leave it open for a week or two giving her time to adjust to her new home.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I'm no expert here on this but if it was my Lucy, I would leave it open for a week or two giving her time to adjust to her new home.

Agree... then start closing it while you are with her.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Another thing, after Lucy starts setting in and isn't always rushing to her crate for a her safe spot, you can leave the door open while your there too. My guys love to go into their crate when we're home to take a nap. Lucy is different though and needs to learn that she can trust you and her new enviroment. :hug: to Lucy!

OP
J

jw570

Mar 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Thanks for all the great advise. If anyone has anything to add it would be appreciated!!!

Pictures coming soon!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
great advice from everyone. even puppies can be on the shy side like my 11 month old Lola. we close the crate when she's home with us there....and sometimes we have to scoop her out in the morning or after work. ok, we always have to scoop her out of the crate. she just loves sleepin in there!

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
@jw570, Sorry it took so long to respond! I also applaud you for bringing this girl into your home and giving her a real bullie life. We want nothing more than happy cuddly bullies but sometimes we have to teach them how to be that way. Even though she is 3, she still needs to learn those basics. This will be based on 2 things....trust and patience. She has 3 years of no socialization so it maybe take some time. I would leave her crate open to let her explore at her own comfort level. My foster, Sugar Boo was also 3 when she came to me. She lived her entire life in a cage. She had no idea what affection was, what toys were, she would look at me like "why are you touching me?" try to make her interactions positive....walks are a good bonding exercise. when you praise her...use affection not just treats. Over time that bond will develop. Sugar Boo has been with me almost 11 months now and I wake up to bullie kisses, she seeks affection and I come home to a happy bullie dance. Its taken some time but its soooooo worth it!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.