Adopted a 3 year old bulldog and have questions.

jw570

Mar 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Last Friday I adopted a 3+ year old AKC English Bulldog from a breeder (it was unable to produce puppies so he wanted to part with it). He has kept this girl in a kennel for all of it's life. We have taken it in and are keeping it in our house in a crate. The crate is open during the day and while we are gone we close it up. The dog has never went to the bathroom in the house and walks fine on a leash. However, we are having problems with the dog coming out of the crate and socializing with us throughout the day, and it's not always willing to go back in the house when left out. It's like two different dogs fun and loving (outside), cold and shy (inside). Anybody have any suggestions? I have had dogs all my life, but always had them as puppies. Is this typical given the situations? Everything I read and everyone keeps telling me the dog will warm up the idea of being inside and just be patient...any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks so much!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm very happy this sweet girl has you...finally a chance at love. We have a few people who have adopted bully's like yours. I'll tag a few and get their advice.

Welcome..by the way. So glad to have you here! [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]...[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]....[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]...[MENTION=1930]RescueMe[/MENTION]

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
That was a terrific thing you did adopting her, now she can live a fun and happy life :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
How awesome it is to give this girl a life she never could have had otherwise. I am no expert but think maybe LOTS of rewards when she is inside. To get her in the house if she doesnt want to come, a cookie will get her thinking right maybe? By cookie I mean a carrot, dog biscuit, green bean etc. We have many with different levels of experience on this and can help better. BUT with bullies positive reinforcement seems to be the best way to get them to do anything. Welcome! :)

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
First of all, Bless you for giving her a home. You said she is 3 yrs old and lived in a kennel all her life. So she will be so scared of everyday noises in the house and everything that is new to her. I would get you a treat bag to carry at all times and praise her and treat her everytime you interact with her. Everytime you touch her, treat her. It will take time but she is young and can overcome it. It will take patience on your part.

It took some of my fosters months to come out of their shell when they have lived in a crate all their lives. The reason yours likes the outdoors is because she probably hasnt spent too much time on grass. New feelings of freedom is probably why she likes it so much. If there are specific things bothering her let me know and I will see if I can help....

[MENTION=939]NikkiSchoolcraft[/MENTION] Im tagging she might have some more insight on how to help her

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Oh and we want pics too...lol

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Congratulations and welcome to EBN. Having spent 3 years in a kennel, it will take a while for her to get used to socializing and she may never get to the point of following you around everywhere, always wanting your touch and attention. As [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] said treats to encourage behavior is very effective with Bulldogs!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well bless you for taking this girl in and since she is only 3 years old there is hope. As everyone has said plenty of praise, treats and time will help bring her out of her shell. We had a 10 month old pup that we got that was no socialized growing up and was crated almost all her life. I took a little less than a month for her to come out of her shell, but she was younger. She is now playing with the other bullies and having a blast. She is still a little shy but not as much as she was. So just keep working with her and one day she will blossom into the beautiful girl she is supposed to be.

OP
J

jw570

Mar 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
No nothing specific just really shy. Comes out of her crate to eat, drink, and go outside. Goes back in after all the previously mentioned. The last day she came out a little more, to look around. I tried to give her treats to get her out, but no real luck. I sit on the floor and call her out and she will come and sit by my side and let me pet her. But then goes back in her crate after I get up.

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
I have nothing to add to the discussion, other than welcome to EBN and congrats on your new bully! Can't wait to see pics and hope the socializing goes well!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN..... Glad to have you here and hope you will be posting pix of your baby soon ;)

Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie, Ruler of the Known Universe, aka: HRH, came to rule here about 1.5 years ago as a 3.5 year old retired breeder dog. She was never socialized but I don't think her entire life was in a crate because the breeder said she was allowed in one room of the house and also their kids played with the dogs. When we got her she was horribly afraid of everything and I mean everything. She would tremble if we made her go in our kitchen. She trembled outside and flinched at every sound. She has never poo'd in the house, she walks on a leash pretty well and is as loving as you'd ever want from a family member. Now after 1.5 years she is still a chicken :poo:, but nothing like when she came here. Patience, LOVING patience, is what it takes... did I mention LOVE:heart:. HRH Princess Gracie is loving, friendly, bully stubborn, OCD, LOVING family member. Bullies are treat/food orientated dogs but its the security and love that wins them over.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Poor babe, she's probably so confused. I'll bet she thinks she's doing the right thing and what is expected of her by staying in her crate.
I'm sure over time with lots of love she will get what it means to be a part of the family. Good luck with her....and pictures would be fantastic!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
First of all, Bless you for giving her a home. You said she is 3 yrs old and lived in a kennel all her life. So she will be so scared of everyday noises in the house and everything that is new to her. I would get you a treat bag to carry at all times and praise her and treat her everytime you interact with her. Everytime you touch her, treat her. It will take time but she is young and can overcome it. It will take patience on your part.

It took some of my fosters months to come out of their shell when they have lived in a crate all their lives. The reason yours likes the outdoors is because she probably hasnt spent too much time on grass. New feelings of freedom is probably why she likes it so much. If there are specific things bothering her let me know and I will see if I can help....

@NikkiSchoolcraft Im tagging she might have some more insight on how to help her

Nothing to add.... This is fantastic advice.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hello there! I don't really have any thing else to add that's not already been said, but your an angel for adopting Lucy. Give her lots of time, patience, coax her with her favorite snack or kibble and lots and lots of love. She's going to need lots of time and needs to learn to trust you. She's led a sheltered life so far in her short 3 years. Can't wait to see pictures of Lucy.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.