Need Scheduling Help for Dozer

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Hi Everyone!

I am in the process of starting to house break Dozer, he will be 4 months old on March 23.

This is the first time my family or I have ever owned a dog. I have been training him with much success. He knows sit very well and he knows stay. He wont eat anything unless he stays and then we say "Ok" and then he will go get his chow. He also knows "Down" which is him laying on his belly (he can also stay and hold this position about 70% of the time). Generally he seems very smart for his age!

In any event, I was hoping maybe one of the pro's here could draw up a schedule that my family could adhere to when it comes to feeding/deficating/walking/training/crating ect for Dozer.

Here is our schedule:

Myself: Works Monday through Friday...out of the house at 7:30AM-ish and come home at 6PM.
Dad: Works everyday except Wednesday & Sunday....3AM to 1PM to 2:30 PM (returning home varies)
Mother: Works Monday through Friday 8:30AM to 5:30PM to 7:30PM (returning home varies)

We dont have a backyard but have an outside deck. Dozer's crate is kept in the finished basement which serves as my apartment and sleeping quarters. My parents come up and down regulary and have access to it whenever they want. My gf also comes over every day as well. It's climate controlled and has heated/cooling tile floors.

Currently, after every meal, after every nap, and every play session I take him outside and say Potty about 1000x lol (the same word we used for the wee wee pads), he generally wont go unless I bring the wee wee pads outside (even then it's a hit or a miss). He also doesnt seem to like walking much. The only way to get him to walk is bait him with treats, but that doesnt seem to work after a while. He generally sits or wont budge at all after a certain amount of walking, which isnt much, maybe two or three houses (all the homes on my block are connected). In the house he is generally good with going to the wee wee pad on his own (95% of the time) and is fairly active with walking and playing with his toys.

Also, if anyone cares to share any articles on how to house break a dog, I would greatly appreciate it. I tried google but got sooooo many different articles and methods I didnt know which one was right since anyone could really publish something on the net and say it works ect...I'm more concerned with what has worked for you guys since we all have bullys, and we know how stubborn they can be. In the mean time, I have had a dog sitter come to the house every day from when my mother leaves to when my father comes home. I had to do this since he just got over pnemonia and we were worried he would puke or choke on it or may need medical attention and no one would be there. Either way I think its good to have some one there as opposed to not having anyone.

Any feedback/tips is GREATLY appreciated. I wanna do this once and do it right!!!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I see you don't have any responses... I guess I'm wondering why you haven't been housebreaking him while all this other training is going on? You are going to have to establish a schedule and stick to it so your dog knows what's going on. Expect mistakes and if your dog isn't getting it - it's not the dog's fault. It's your fault. :D

Googling it will make your head explode. ha ha ha It's not rocket science - it's just consistency.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im going to tag a couple of people who maybe able to help. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] welcome to the forum

OP
BrooklynStar

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Well Dozer was very sick with pnemeonoa and he only got his last shot a few days ago so he's only be able to go outside for a few days now.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have a wonderful website for you..I will try to link it to you...
www.canismajor.com

Okayy. This will get you to them..I especially loved the crate training one..let me know if you have trouble pulling it up...

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=4363]BrooklynStar[/MENTION] sounds like you are on the right track with the house training. We also crate train them when we are gone, but let them out as soon as they wake up, after playing and after they eat and anytime we see them just walking around and sniffing, (just in case). It takes time, so just be patient and consistent and before you know it he will have it down.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online