The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Just click this link: Petflow

Use cup on code: englishbulldog

Free shipping over $49

OP
C

Cooper11

How's the boy today?

So far so good. He is still sleeping ALOT! And he has been going in his kennel to sleep....usually he will sleep on me. But his color looks better. I gave him beef and potatoes 3 times today....small portions. I am about to go get some more veggies from the store. ordered my fromm last night! I am hoping this is just a food issue!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So far so good. He is still sleeping ALOT! And he has been going in his kennel to sleep....usually he will sleep on me. But his color looks better. I gave him beef and potatoes 3 times today....small portions. I am about to go get some more veggies from the store. ordered my fromm last night! I am hoping this is just a food issue!

Prayers and positive thoughts! I'll even cross my fingers!!!

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
I hope that Cooper is doing better! Hopefully the food change will help him out.

I feel for you..this must be so frustrating. :( Are you absolutely positive that he couldn't have a blockage or anything? You know, a scope was never mentioned when Delilah was having problems with throwing up. They did a barium test on her with x-rays and stuff..did you guys do that one?

OP
C

Cooper11

I hope that Cooper is doing better! Hopefully the food change will help him out.

I feel for you..this must be so frustrating. :( Are you absolutely positive that he couldn't have a blockage or anything? You know, a scope was never mentioned when Delilah was having problems with throwing up. They did a barium test on her with x-rays and stuff..did you guys do that one?

actually I am thinking that is what he said they will do is the barium test.....how much did that cost you?? We have had xrays and blood work but not the barium test with the xrays

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] I'm thinking it was like $250 at my vet. It ended up showing us quite a bit about her intestines.

OP
C

Cooper11

@Cooper11 I'm thinking it was like $250 at my vet. It ended up showing us quite a bit about her intestines.

What was wrong and what did they do for her?????? 250 isn't bad I was thinking much higher. I have already spent ALOT and I need the allergy test done plus that test! UGH He is lucky his momma loves him so much!!

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] well, at the time she was really, really sick. She was vomiting blood and having extremely loose, explosive black diarrhea with blood in it. Her heart rate was ridiculously fast, her breathing was labored, she was running a fever..she just wasn't looking or feeling good at ALL. It was terrifying. She couldn't keep anything down.

They were worried about obstruction, and something actually did get lodged in there which was shown with the barium testing. My regular vet did that. The stupid emergency vet didn't do anything about that, just charged me a crap ton of money for other tests that really didn't help. They took an x-ray of her chest at the emergency vet and found out that she had pneumonia and that she had aspirated fluid and vomit into her lungs, and at the time we thought that was the only problem but then my regular vet found the obstruction. They also tried saying she had megaesophagus..but later x-rays show that was a fluke result and that she doesn't really have that.

She ended up actually passing what ever was obstructing her on her own. We played the waiting game with that while she was being very closely monitored because of the pneumonia. She was one sick puppy..they actually suggested having me put her down instead of paying the bills..and I said heck no, I am not euthanizing my one year old dog! (she's 2.5 now) She had to get large fluid injections twice..the ones they put in their back and make them look like a hunch back, lol. She was on IV fluids. All kinds of medication. She ended up going to the emergency vet two nights and our regular vet two days, and then she stayed a 3 day weekend at the vet to be monitored. Uggh it was the worst week of my life. :(

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
This ended up being like a $2000 vet bill that I'm still paying parts of it off. If my mom hadn't just gotten money from the guy's insurance company who hit her car, we would not have been able to save her because the emergency vet doesn't take payments and for some stupid reason they wouldn't give me Care Credit.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Wow, put her down instead of fixing her, that would of been hard to hear. Nice to hear you got passed it and she did well after.

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
[MENTION=4305]Vince00[/MENTION] It was terrible. I broke down and cried and begged my vet to let me do payment plans because I love her so much and didn't want to lose her so young. I managed to get them to let me, thankfully. When they first said it, might as well have stuck a knife in my chest!

OP
C

Cooper11

@Vince00 It was terrible. I broke down and cried and begged my vet to let me do payment plans because I love her so much and didn't want to lose her so young. I managed to get them to let me, thankfully. When they first said it, might as well have stuck a knife in my chest!

OMG! She is lucky to have you as her momma!!! :yes: Horrible and I bet between them saying to put her down and seeing how sick she was you were a reck!!! WHat vet do you go to? I might have asked you where you were from but I can't remember. I am from the Waterloo Area and just fond a vet I liked and they are experienced with bulldogs but I called yesterday and they said he would call me back and he didn't. Made me mad :cursing: even though i said wasn't an emergency call me when he had a break I didn't feed Cooper barely anything Friday cuz I waited to see what the vet said cuz he was throwing up again! So I finally fed him later that night some potatoes and ground beef...and then gave him some more this morning.....Thanks to [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] for giving me those suggestions. Tonight he got most of the veggies the store had available. It is a small town store and i thought they would have sweet potatoes but they didn't! So I boiled peas, red pepper, and potato and mushed it up and gave it to him and he loved it! He hasn't gotten sick yet but that doesn't mean much cause he will go 2 days with no throwing up and then out of the blue throw up!

He was a bit more spunky tonight running and running into me being the bully he is :) but he also slept most the day. I am not sure if it cuz of his food or not that is making him tired but I know he sleeps more than his sister Gracie. But every bully is different. He ate his mush tonight and then I went outside with him to potty and I was brushing him while we were out there and he was trying to attack me lol...then he started eating the grass again. I was like OMG Coop seriously I dunno what to do. I told him no don't eat the grass I didn't want him barfing?

Ok [MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION] read above what I fed him tonight! He just either farted a way loud :fart: while I was typing this or he burped. It sounded like a brp and he sat up so I was worried he was about to throw up then came the smell......no gas huh!?!?!?! lol
Also how much of this veggie mush do you give her a day? I know he is older than her and weighs more but I kinda want an idea. Hopefully I get into the vet Monday and I get my Fromm ASAP so we can start seeing if that will help him!

[MENTION=4277]gunnyboy[/MENTION] Thank old man :) for thinking of Coop

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] thanks for the link I ordered a big bag of the beef fritatta or whatever its called lol. Having that link there helped a lot and was easy for me to just click it and pay...not having to search everywhere! :)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
He's probably sleeping a lot because his body is tired. Being sick is hard work!

I don't know about the gas. He could still have some old stuff in his system. Abby doesn't have gas, not ever. She gets awful hiccups, but no farting or burping.
I feed Abby about 4 cups a day but I mainly do that because she needs her meds 4 times a day and she has to take them with food. She also small and needs the calories. Coop has been sick, I don't think I'd feed him more than 2 cups a day at first. Break that up into 2 or 3 meals if you can. You don't want his stomach working harder than it has to right now.

I hope he continues to hold it down. He's been through enough already and so have you :)

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.