Cooper throwing up again!

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I haven't had much time to be online these past few days so I'm late to this. I'm sorry so Coop is sick again. Maybe he just has a virus? Have they done any blood work?

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
Sick again? Geez Meg, you have had a rough couple weeks too! I send you big hugs! I know you will make the best decision for your baby! Keep us posted, I am so upset I can't keep up with the threads as I'd like, but I did remember to check up on Cooper and I am sad to read he is still having problems. I am no expert, but I say do the scope and rule something more serious out!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] -- hey Meg, I know how frustrated you are and I am sorry if i repeat anything that is already in the thread, but we went through this with Nitshcke when he was about 8 - 12 months... he turned out to be allergic to rice, which was in every food we were giving him, even the bland diet. here are pictures of his face before we knew of the rice allergy and after.... he also was constantly getting cyst until we stopped the rice. Not say Coop is allergic to rice, but he may be allergic to something else in the food that Sandra ([MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]) has suggested.

not sure why -- but I am not able to load any pictures... I'll try again later

OP
C

Cooper11

I haven't had much time to be online these past few days so I'm late to this. I'm sorry so Coop is sick again. Maybe he just has a virus? Have they done any blood work?

Yes I have had blood test and xray done twice in 2 weeks by 2 different vets. He did have an infection in the beginning but now his blood test i normal.....he didn't throw up today! :) I feel bad cuz I have had family staying here from out of state so we have been busy and haven't been home much. I know he misses me cuz he is all over me when I am home. Wanted to sit on my lap, playing rough, and lot of kisses :)

OP
C

Cooper11

@Cooper11 -- hey Meg, I know how frustrated you are and I am sorry if i repeat anything that is already in the thread, but we went through this with Nitshcke when he was about 8 - 12 months... he turned out to be allergic to rice, which was in every food we were giving him, even the bland diet. here are pictures of his face before we knew of the rice allergy and after.... he also was constantly getting cyst until we stopped the rice. Not say Coop is allergic to rice, but he may be allergic to something else in the food that Sandra (@cowsmom) has suggested.

not sure why -- but I am not able to load any pictures... I'll try again later

Yes would love pic!! And I don't care if you repeat questions I have already answered. It would take a long time to read every comment. I know I am wondering about allergies too and thinking maybe I should just do the allergy test and if I have to have it done later on again so be it. I am for sure he is allergic to something outside. I haven't been home much these last few days and when I get home his face looks really good other than these eye boogers that came out of nowhere and they are bad! His face just looks a light pink and he looks good but once he starts going outside he gets red and his one eye water a lot! No throwing up today!!! But he also didn't eat that much. I am suppose to slowly add more daily but once I started thinking he was better and adding more was when he threw up. I am going to call vet tomorrow to see if I can get him in to look at cysts and talk about tummy and weigh him. I am afraid he may be losing weight!! Thank You for taking the time to give me advice and ask about Coop. You all mean so much to me!!!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hi again.. hoping today is a good day for your little guy.. Yes they did xray and nothing.. gave him shots and sent him home.. he layed on the floor and shook I was terrified.. I almost called 911 and my husband was like "YOU nut! you can't call 911 for a dog":nope:.. so back we went.. again they observed and wanted us to wait til the morning.. the next morning he passed the toy.. BUT like others have said it could be so many other things.. just hoping you can get to the bottom of this soon.. I feel your pain!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes would love pic!! And I don't care if you repeat questions I have already answered. It would take a long time to read every comment. I know I am wondering about allergies too and thinking maybe I should just do the allergy test and if I have to have it done later on again so be it. I am for sure he is allergic to something outside. I haven't been home much these last few days and when I get home his face looks really good other than these eye boogers that came out of nowhere and they are bad! His face just looks a light pink and he looks good but once he starts going outside he gets red and his one eye water a lot! No throwing up today!!! But he also didn't eat that much. I am suppose to slowly add more daily but once I started thinking he was better and adding more was when he threw up. I am going to call vet tomorrow to see if I can get him in to look at cysts and talk about tummy and weigh him. I am afraid he may be losing weight!! Thank You for taking the time to give me advice and ask about Coop. You all mean so much to me!!!

Before allergy identified. see how red his face is and his eye boogers were thick and constant.
Copy (1) of IMG_2352.jpg

after rice and dairy was out of his diet and we had him on Benedryl... no red face and very little eye boogers

IMG_4957.jpg

OP
C

Cooper11

Just checking in ?? How is your little guy?

He is doing better and worse...if that makes sense. He had stopped throwing up and then threw up on Saturday and then was fine and now threw up again last night. Both right after he ate and hand fed him last night so I know he didn't eat to fast! But the throwing up has been better but not we have the red face, watering eye, cysts, I am thinking it is the food...but I am scared to try something different because this is the only food that has helped with his throwing up. I am waiting for doc to call me back to see when I can get him in for the scope thing!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Okay I have of course been following Coops story and I think it's time to do the one thing you have not tried.

Get him off that crap of food!!!! At this point, it certainly would not hurt him since he is throwing up what you give him already.

All of his symptoms are allergy related. (entropion is the rolling inward of the eye which can many times be caused by swollen eyes from allergies, interdigital cysts are formed from bacteria build up, from either paw licking or immune system not producing good bacteria, tear stains, runny eyes.... )

His immune system is going downhill, which is why he is getting worse, and showing more and more signs that it is taking a toll on him.

First, you must answer the question: "What causes allergies?" Why do some years you have horrible allergies and others they are mild? You may assume that there is less pollen count or something, but it actually has to do with your immune system. Your immune system produces antibodies that combat allergens.

So if you are in top shape health wise, diet and exercise are good, you will have less allergy symptoms that normal. But if you have a virus, infection, are pregnant, eat nothing but McDonalds everyday, not on a good diet and getting regular exercise, ect. your allergies will be horrible!

One of the reasons food change helps so many bulldogs is because a good diet can help build up the immune system and help produce antibodies to fight allergens. While it does not cure an allergy, it will certainly make it less uncomfortable than normal.

So at this point, I know you wanted to wait until the tummy settled to try a new food-- but if you really do not think he swallowed something large and has a blockage then I think it would not hurt to at least try a new food.

However, I do think getting a scope would be beneficial as well. But if he is pooping normal (2x a day) if it were me, I would try a food change first. Or try bland diet instead of the prescription junk.

I cannot be sure but I am thinking that [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] 's Maggie used to throw up all the time until a fromm switch. She also had interdigital cysts when trying a new food that disappeared when changed. If it was not Maggie, maybe someone here can remember the dog that threw up every night in the middle of the night?

While it does not work for everyone, I do think it is worth a try at this point. HUGS xxoo :hug:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Okay I have of course been following Coops story and I think it's time to do the one thing you have not tried.

Get him off that crap of food!!!! At this point, it certainly would not hurt him since he is throwing up what you give him already.

All of his symptoms are allergy related. (entropion is the rolling inward of the eye which can many times be caused by swollen eyes from allergies, interdigital cysts are formed from bacteria build up, from either paw licking or immune system not producing good bacteria, tear stains, runny eyes.... )

His immune system is going downhill, which is why he is getting worse, and showing more and more signs that it is taking a toll on him.

First, you must answer the question: "What causes allergies?" Why do some years you have horrible allergies and others they are mild? You may assume that there is less pollen count or something, but it actually has to do with your immune system. Your immune system produces antibodies that combat allergens.

So if you are in top shape health wise, diet and exercise are good, you will have less allergy symptoms that normal. But if you have a virus, infection, are pregnant, eat nothing but McDonalds everyday, not on a good diet and getting regular exercise, ect. your allergies will be horrible!

One of the reasons food change helps so many bulldogs is because a good diet can help build up the immune system and help produce antibodies to fight allergens. While it does not cure an allergy, it will certainly make it less uncomfortable than normal.

So at this point, I know you wanted to wait until the tummy settled to try a new food-- but if you really do not think he swallowed something large and has a blockage then I think it would not hurt to at least try a new food.

However, I do think getting a scope would be beneficial as well. But if he is pooping normal (2x a day) if it were me, I would try a food change first. Or try bland diet instead of the prescription junk.

I cannot be sure but I am thinking that @kazzy220 's Maggie used to throw up all the time until a fromm switch. She also had interdigital cysts when trying a new food that disappeared when changed. If it was not Maggie, maybe someone here can remember the dog that threw up every night in the middle of the night?

While it does not work for everyone, I do think it is worth a try at this point. HUGS xxoo :hug:

:bravo: Agree wholeheartedly!!!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
He is doing better and worse...if that makes sense. He had stopped throwing up and then threw up on Saturday and then was fine and now threw up again last night. Both right after he ate and hand fed him last night so I know he didn't eat to fast! But the throwing up has been better but not we have the red face, watering eye, cysts, I am thinking it is the food...but I am scared to try something different because this is the only food that has helped with his throwing up. I am waiting for doc to call me back to see when I can get him in for the scope thing!

oh Lord Ok i am thinking of you.. its so hard when they go through these things? Let me know what the doctor says.. I know the food change is a hard thing.. we went through H _ _ _ changing Duke's food BUT a remarkable difference once we did..One thing at a time.. give him big hugs from us and please keep us posted.. we are all worry worts around here! ( its a good thing)

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke

I cannot be sure but I am thinking that @kazzy220 's Maggie used to throw up all the time until a fromm switch. She also had interdigital cysts when trying a new food that disappeared when changed. If it was not Maggie, maybe someone here can remember the dog that threw up every night in the middle of the night?

EXCELLENT INFO!!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
One last thing I wanted to mention.. I took the advice of everyone on here and changed Duke's food to Nature's Variety Instinct and when I did was when I had Duke at the ER.. remember I told you he swallowed the toy 3 months prior.. the vet told us but putting him on good food it actually helped his system work better.. hope this makes sense.. Believe me when I first changed and he was throwing up etc I wanted to shoot myself and felt as if I made him sick. it was the best decision we ever made.. Duke would get swollen paws, ear infections once a month etc.. Honest to God.. the only time I call the vet now is to make his annual appointment for his vaccines.. ( hope this helps)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.