Natural balance food.....

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Any input on this brand? Brooklyn has been on prescription d/d food for a few months and doing great on it - I asked my vet of a good food to switch to so he doesn't have to be on prescription food forever and he said he loves natural balance for bulldogs. Wanted some input on it from you guys though, if you have any. Hopefully it's good input :) thank you!!

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Before I read the bad reviews of the food (google it on consumer reports) I had bought some to try - my bullie ate it the first few days, had runny poo and the 3rd day, somehow picked through it (I had mixed 2 together) and didn't eat it. I have Earthborn hollistics on order right now and hoping he does well on it.

Some people have been using it here with no problems, but I wanted to try something else. You may want to as well. How old is your dog? Do you know of any allergies?

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
I feel like there's always going to be bad reviews on every food! My dog is 1 year and 4 months and no known allergies :) I know a lot of ppl here use Fromm- I asked doc abt it he said he finds natural balance to be his Fav so idk!

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I feel like there's always going to be bad reviews on every food! My dog is 1 year and 4 months and no known allergies :) I know a lot of ppl here use Fromm- I asked doc abt it he said he finds natural balance to be his Fav so idk!

I agree, but I've been researching food for weeks now, and had never seen reviews like this. The reviews on the food I had seen on the sites to buy it were all pretty good, until someone posted the link to the consumer reports webpage here, and the posts people have written are horrifying and also very similar in things that happened to their pets on this food. I can tell you though, my bullie likes to eat - and he didn't want to eat this food.

There are lots of experts here, they helped me too. You may want to also read other peoples' threads here and the Nutrition section to see what else is favorable.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake

I know lots of Bully's who do fine on Natural Balance. In fact, that's what we first switched Jake to when he came home with us. But he had issues with chicken and once I educated myself..I felt a different food would be best. I decided if I was going to switch..might as well try the higher rated foods. I went to Fromm Surf n Turf..no go..has chicken! Then went to Fromm Beef Fritatta..much better. After months on this, I just felt his :poo: still wasn't right..tried Natures Variety..salmon..:eek: he had an immediate bad reaction! Swollen and pink pads on his feet and hives. I went right back to the Fromm Beef and waited a few months for his system to calm down. I used that time to read and get help here. I settled on Earthborne Great Plains Feast. It's been wonderful for him. But what does well with Jake might not be right for your Bully. It's a trial and error thing. I would read the ratings and educate myself as to why there is a difference. I would always aim for the highest rated you can.
As far as vets recommending foods..they don't have the time to fully investigate the differences in food. They rely on sales reps from their visiting companies. another good site is Dog Food Advisor...good luck

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Ok ill be honest its an ok food but I'm not wild about it. If your dog has allergies then ok but if not I think there are better for the price. Yes I have fed this food to my dogs. I think fromm or earthborn are good places to start actually. Let us know what you decide n welcome to the forum.

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Thank you so much for your input. Brooklyn is doing phenomenal on the prescription food I should just keep him on it! No tear stains, no wax or ear infections anymore. But it is a pain to get and so expensive. I was just looking for something a little easier but scared to switch since he is so healthy on this food. I will have to research and think about it :) hank you!

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
A lot of the foods recommended here aren't available where I live, so if you're looking for something you can buy close to you, I'd decide on something you know a feed store or specialty store near you has, or you may just have the same difficulty with getting a different food. They foods are more expensive also, I am finding. May I ask what the cost of your prescription food is and how you get it? The food I ordered had to come from PetFlow - no one has Earthborn near me. If you find the prices aren't much different and your baby is doing great on the one you have, I'd keep using it, honestly. Most of us here it seems have switched foods due to allergies, skin, yeast, and/or stomach sensitivity/poo problems. Best of luck to you!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
you need a visit from our "food queen"!! :rofl: It's kinda like a visit from the tooth fairy..but you won't have to lose anything to "see" her! :laugh:

@cowsmom....ohhhhhh sandra.....

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
He is on hills prescription diet d/d for skin support! Reason why.... Different vet thought he has bloody stool from a food allergy and put him on this food. It did a miracle for his face and coat...... Turns out the bloody stool was from polyps that another vet diagnosed! So anyway we kept him on the food cuz he actually ate it and it was doing such good things for him otherwise! And to be honest I'm not sure how much it costs? I buy cans and dry food.... Venison, duck, lamb, potato, salmon, and mix it up but I buy it in bulk b/c that vet office is far from me! I spend a few hundred bucks every time I buy it. AND.... Trupanion insurance pays for 40% of it :-D but not forever....they will lower my premium eventually instead of givin me checks for the food!

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ohhh, I haven't heard very good things about Hills (a lot of vets push them though, as they get a kickback the rumor is), but it is good he has been doing well on it. Our was on (whisper) Iams until recently and it's only now that it seems he just can't tolerate it anymore as his hair is coming out in little tufts all over his body and we think it's finally the food. I see raves about Fromm here but also raves about what I ordered, the Earthborn Holistics, which is cheaper. I also feed straight kibble though, no wet. Have you always mixed wet and dry?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
He is on hills prescription diet d/d for skin support! Reason why.... Different vet thought he has bloody stool from a food allergy and put him on this food. It did a miracle for his face and coat...... Turns out the bloody stool was from polyps that another vet diagnosed! So anyway we kept him on the food cuz he actually ate it and it was doing such good things for him otherwise! And to be honest I'm not sure how much it costs? I buy cans and dry food.... Venison, duck, lamb, potato, salmon, and mix it up but I buy it in bulk b/c that vet office is far from me! I spend a few hundred bucks every time I buy it. AND.... Trupanion insurance pays for 40% of it :-D but not forever....they will lower my premium eventually instead of givin me checks for the food!

Okayyyyyy....the prescription foods are NOT good for permanent use. They are full of chemicals. I had a cat on this brand for years..and later found out..it was NOT good for long term use. Again...your vet gets a kickback from all these companies..epecially the ones they carry. I would only use them if it were life and death..like kidney failure or something irrevervisable. Also..that whole Trupanion...don't hold your breath for a premium reduction! I,like most others here, just got a huge rate increase from them.AND may I add, I've NEVER had a claim.....ever!

Backnblack

Mar 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
We feed our Bully and Boxers Natural Balance Bison and Sweet Potato...Zero problems, going on 2 years now.

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Omg I've had like 9,000 claims haha they probably hate me. Anyway. Everyone has their own opinion with food I guess - thanks for replying!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.