Help with Stella!

StellasMama

Jan 30, 2012
Huntington Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Hey everyone, just a quick question. Yesterday we were taking Stella out to go potty (we live in an apartment) and she was behind us going down the stairs and we heard something that sounded like she tripped. We did not actually see her trip. Now she has been limping ever sense. It seems as though she is favoring her front left leg. She does not whimper or cry when it is touched or when she walking on it. We have been having her rest and not play around. I'm a little worried that it may be something substantial except that she doesn't seem to mind it. Any advice?

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Bullys are super tough and will rarely let you know if something is wrong. I remember an article where some one let their bully limp for a couple of weeks and it turned out he had a broken leg. Not saying your bully has that but have a vet check em ASAP.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would keep her as quiet as possible and see how she is tomorrow morning ... if it is worse or the same then yes call the vets. I certainly would not wait the two weeks that the idiot in the article did!!!

Also remember that if it is a torn muscle from maybe tripping and twisting the wrong way that first thing in the morning Stella will appear worse. Just like us when we go to bed, an injury can seem stiff in the morning until we get it moving again.

Go with your instinct on this one!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Seems we have a few Bully's here with painful legs and things! I'd also wait a couple days..IF there are no signs of pain..like crying or whimpering. I'd keep her calm as possible..no jumping or stairs..if no improvement in a few days..OR it appears worse..yes take her in! Good Luck!

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
I would take her to the vet also if it wasn't better in a day or two......but I'm paranoid about my baby. Hope Stella is feeling better.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
you have already gotten good advice so ill just say i hope stella gets better soon.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
well I'm with everyone else and just keep an eye on her. She may have tripped a little and pulled something. Another thing to be aware of is young pups have growth plated in their bones that have no hardened or fussed if you will and can be permanently damaged if they are allowed to jump off things like couches and beds and sometimes just coming down stairs.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I'd still have her looked at by a vet. I had assumed my BabyGirl had hurt her leg from playing or running but the vet said he couldn't feel anything wrong. He looked at me blankly and asked if I wanted an X-ray. Of course, I wanted to explore all possibilities because it was heartbreaking for us to watch her limp. Cost of X-Ray, $125. The X-ray actually revealed she had arthritis. She was prescribed a weeks worth of pain killers but I give her joint supplements and she no longer limps but I do notice on cold days like today that she chooses to sit more than stand. That was last year.

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
My mom told me when I first got my bullies to carry them down the stairs or keep a very close eye on them anyway, she had a friend that had a young bullie who fell down the stairs and broke her shoulder.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I agree with with [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]. Because of these growth plates we carried Usko down and up the stairs until he was about one year old and almost 50 lbs and we still don't let him in the couch (but now thats for another reason). It is advised with all heavier breeds. Give a day or two and if it doesn't get better go to vet. If you take her now the vet will probably say to give it a day or two....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online