Frank
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bongo
    Likes (Received)

Default Harness vs Collar for walking

Hi all,

Were new to the forum and we just got Bongo our 8 week old male English and I love him. The question I have is that I've heard that a harness is recommended for this breed as to not damage the throat. At the same time I've also heard there terrible and promote pulling which makes sense .
    I have a collar for Bongo right now but I would like to know you opinions on this.
    thanks for allowing us to join your forum.
    Thanks,
    Frank & Bongo

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kain
    Likes (Received)

I got my puppy at 10 weeks, used a collar until today at 14 weeks. I clicker train and he is very obidiant he walks beside me and very little to no pulling, I like the harness after todays first walk but I think I may have needed the leash in the beginning.

Clicker training was the best thing I did out the gate, tonight for example it was kennel time, he didn't want to go on his own. I grabbed the clicker, got a sit (treated) went to kennel pointed and said kennel and down the stairs he came and in the kennel. (treated) and goodnight

Also click and treated to heal and walk beside me randomly to promote walking as he wasn't to fond of it.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Harness vs Collar for walking

WELCOME TO EBN.
    In my opinion it is better to teach the dog not to pull in a leash. Better for him and for your self too. If you don't teach him not to pull you'll be in trouble and you have much more control with a leash. You need it when he's all grown. Best time to start training is now.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

to EBN. We have an Introduction and Welcome forum. Please use it so that all the members can properly welcome your bully and his/her family. We also love pix... hint hint.

I think the concensis is that there is less chance of harming the bully with a harness although the above posters are right about teaching them to watch nicely. Our Princess Gracie has a harness for each color outfit she wears....LOL (I'm kidding.... sort of )

Anyway, Im glad you joined and look forward to seeing pix of your baby and hear more about he and his family.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

We trained not to pull and use collars and harnesses depending on where we are going with them. Walk around the neighborhood = collar -- Bulldog meetup or event = harness
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Watson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

watson pulls on a harness and doesn't pull on a collar. For short trips, we use a collar and long trips we use the kong harness

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    WELCOME TO EBN.
    In my opinion it is better to teach the dog not to pull in a leash. Better for him and for your self too. If you don't teach him not to pull you'll be in trouble and you have much more control with a leash. You need it when he's all grown. Best time to start training is now.
    *applause* @ Riisi

Bo used to pull so hard on his "flat collar" that he made himself almost pass out; not once...but three or four times! . I am not kidding or exaggerating in the least. It scared me. A harness, however, wasn't going to solve that problem. Harnesses are for pulling and I intend to get Bo one so he can pull a wagon with Miss Bea riding in the back. Bea tends to fizzle out on longer journeys; which means anything more than one block. The other part of a harness that I like is that the leash attachment ring stays at the TOP of the harness and on the back of the dog which means less tangling and less "getting your feet caught in leash" when the collar is spinning around the dog's neck. A harness will not solve the pulling problem and will, in fact, make it worse. EB muscles are clearly in that massive chest! My solution was a "pinch collar" which, unless used correctly, won't help either. (I learned this very recently from my Rescue Hero, Cindy at CBRR. I was doing it all wrong!)

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to EBN. I use a harness on Mack. When I walk Ruggles I use his harness but it is a battle of wills. My husband usually walks Ruggles, uses a pincher collar, lets him free walk (out in front of him rather than on his left side). My husband is not trainable!

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

@BruceP no you werent kidding! she has every color and you know it
    Thats why she is a princess! duhhh

Yes we started with a collar but we soon went to a harness...we go to the vet we do the collar though as its easier for them!
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Remove Ads