Fbjdd

Mar 16, 2012
Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bongo
Hi all,

Were new to the forum and we just got Bongo our 8 week old male English and I love him. The question I have is that I've heard that a harness is recommended for this breed as to not damage the throat. At the same time I've also heard there terrible and promote pulling which makes sense .
I have a collar for Bongo right now but I would like to know you opinions on this.
thanks for allowing us to join your forum.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I got my puppy at 10 weeks, used a collar until today at 14 weeks. I clicker train and he is very obidiant he walks beside me and very little to no pulling, I like the harness after todays first walk but I think I may have needed the leash in the beginning.

Clicker training was the best thing I did out the gate, tonight for example it was kennel time, he didn't want to go on his own. I grabbed the clicker, got a sit (treated) went to kennel pointed and said kennel and down the stairs he came and in the kennel. (treated) and goodnight :)

Also click and treated to heal and walk beside me randomly to promote walking as he wasn't to fond of it.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
WELCOME TO EBN.
In my opinion it is better to teach the dog not to pull in a leash. Better for him and for your self too. If you don't teach him not to pull you'll be in trouble and you have much more control with a leash. You need it when he's all grown. Best time to start training is now.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN. We have an Introduction and Welcome forum. Please use it so that all the members can properly welcome your bully and his/her family. We also love pix... hint hint.

I think the concensis is that there is less chance of harming the bully with a harness although the above posters are right about teaching them to watch nicely. Our Princess Gracie has a harness for each color outfit she wears....LOL (I'm kidding.... sort of );)

Anyway, Im glad you joined and look forward to seeing pix of your baby and hear more about he and his family. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We trained not to pull and use collars and harnesses depending on where we are going with them. Walk around the neighborhood = collar -- Bulldog meetup or event = harness

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
watson pulls on a harness and doesn't pull on a collar. For short trips, we use a collar and long trips we use the kong harness

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
WELCOME TO EBN.
In my opinion it is better to teach the dog not to pull in a leash. Better for him and for your self too. If you don't teach him not to pull you'll be in trouble and you have much more control with a leash. You need it when he's all grown. Best time to start training is now.

*applause* @ Riisi

Bo used to pull so hard on his "flat collar" that he made himself almost pass out; not once...but three or four times! . I am not kidding or exaggerating in the least. It scared me. A harness, however, wasn't going to solve that problem. Harnesses are for pulling and I intend to get Bo one so he can pull a wagon with Miss Bea riding in the back. Bea tends to fizzle out on longer journeys; which means anything more than one block. The other part of a harness that I like is that the leash attachment ring stays at the TOP of the harness and on the back of the dog which means less tangling and less "getting your feet caught in leash" when the collar is spinning around the dog's neck. A harness will not solve the pulling problem and will, in fact, make it worse. EB muscles are clearly in that massive chest! My solution was a "pinch collar" which, unless used correctly, won't help either. (I learned this very recently from my Rescue Hero, Cindy at CBRR. I was doing it all wrong!)

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Welcome to EBN. I use a harness on Mack. When I walk Ruggles I use his harness but it is a battle of wills. My husband usually walks Ruggles, uses a pincher collar, lets him free walk (out in front of him rather than on his left side). My husband is not trainable!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] :hmm: no you werent kidding! she has every color and you know it :laugh:
Thats why she is a princess! duhhh

Yes we started with a collar but we soon went to a harness...we go to the vet we do the collar though as its easier for them!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online