Allergy panel results and dental done!!

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Mr. D pulled through his dental like a champ today. I can't say how much I love my vet. He also shaved his gums back a bit on his bottom teeth due to the gingival hyperplasia - he owns boxers so he is skilled in this area. It was nice of him to do this for me. They also gave me complimentary doggie toothpaste and cut his nails for free too. (Mr. D hates having his nails cut, so I asked if they could do it while he was under). He did great with the anesthesia (I was a wreck all day worrying about it) though he hasn't drank any water yet but I already called and said it's normal. They had to extract 3 teeth, poor guy, and remove the abscess. Said he had tons of fur sticking all in his gums they had to pull out too. Our poor baby! It isheartwarming to see the attention he gets at this vet and how the staff all adore him and refer to him as "Chunk." And, though the bill was high (ouch) it was less than quoted, not knowing they'd need to pull 3 teeth. And they were able to save the big canine fang the abscess was on!

And, got the allergy report. Ironically, the Natural Lamb and Rice I got him that I haven't been feeding him due to the awful complaints about it online, is on the list of food recs for him. Plus he had runny poo the whole time on it, mixed with his icky Iams. He has been just on the IAMs for the last week or so and poo is firm now, though he is has a week to go on his antibiotics for his chin. The good news is, the vet thinks maybe his chin was breaking out so badly due to the icky mouth, so hopefully that gets better too,

Foods he is allergic to: Venison, Corn (borderline), Oat, Barley, White Potato, Alfalfa, and Duck. He has a LOT of grass, weed, trees, fungi allergies. We may look into allergy shots was quoted an allergy kit that would last about 9 months would run about $300 and ordered specifically for his allergies. I think we may just see how he does with the food change first and see if that helps his skin/coat. The fungal panel still has a week to go.

So, experts, now that we know the foods that are bad for him, and knowing I don't want to feed him Natural Balance, does anyone have any food recs for me? My vet uses a few different brands for his own dogs, including Wellness and something organic I can't recall the name of.

@desertskybulldogs and anyone else, I would love your input. Thanks for reading and Happy Friday!

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
Glad he is doing well...

I am certainly no expert on Bulldogs or foods as I am just taking the plunge into ownership this weekend, however I have been doing a lot of research on foods via the internet, the companies themselves, and by talking to breeders in my area.

I am really liking the Taste of The Wild brand. All natural ingredients combined with a great price.

ToTW Pacific Stream could be a viable option for you. The main ingredients are: Salmon, ocean fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, canola oil, salmon meal, smoked salmon, potato fiber, natural flavor, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries..... hmm it does have potatoes though!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think either myself or [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] can go through our recommended brands to find one without any of those ingredients. Your panel and Sarah's are similar if I remember correctly. oat and barley are going to be the trucky ingredients I think.

Oh and I think that chin will clear up when you quit feeding iams :)

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
I tried those expensive allergy shots made just for Gunny around 300.00 or more I can"t remember and they didn"t work for him but they may work for your Bullie.

OP
B

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@gunnyboy, thanks for your input re: allergy shots. I don't know if I am quite sold on them yet, to be honest. Our bullie is pretty much only outside to do his business due the heat here, so if the food can help the hair loss and chin acne, I think and hope, that might be enough.
@desertskybulldogs I'd appreciate any recommendations. I was looking at Ca. Naturals that only has lamb and rice, no other fillers listed that I saw, but I do read a lot of controversy bc they are now a P and G brand. @Dissident thanks for helping. I am going to look for something with no white potato in it though I think...
ETA: @desertskybulldogs, he's never had chin acne like this and has been on Iams his whole life with us and he's 5 now. HE may just have finally had a bad reaction to the food that manifested in that and the hair patch loss, but I really do think it may have mostly been related to the dental issues. The antibiotics have helped some though.

Last edited:

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Gunny has a little chin acne I was a the vet yesterday and he gave me Muricin to put on it I"ll let you know how it works.

OP
B

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How funny, I bought some of that today too!! I'll let you know as well. Vet apologized for not mentioning I get some last time.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=4447]bulliemommi[/MENTION] Mack has similar food allergies as Mr. D. He has done really well on Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Lamb Meal. Ruggles is on NVI Limited Ingredient Turkey (he is allergic to lamb) and is doing well also!

OP
B

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@bulliemommi Mack has similar food allergies as Mr. D. He has done really well on Nature's Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Lamb Meal. Ruggles is on NVI Limited Ingredient Turkey (he is allergic to lamb) and is doing well also!

Thanks for that, I will go look it up now. I was actually just looking at
[h=3]Meadow Feast Grain Free-Lamb Dry Dog Food by Earthborn Holistics[/h]
Does anyone here use this one?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=4447]bulliemommi[/MENTION] how awesome is it to have such a great vet!!? I am very lucky as well - so comforting when you take them you can trust what is being done.

My boy was allergic grasses, weeds, molds and trees as well and on allergy shots for about a year -- I saw no difference in him at all, until we changed his food. It may be different for you, but the food change and the bad teeth coming out should really help get him in better shape!

Good luck and keep us posted

OP
B

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
awww, thanks @2BullyMama, I am glad you have a good vet too! And thanks too about your info re: the allergy shots. I am thinking now, yes, we will wait on those!
I have been stressed, anxious, and feeling horribly guilty knowing he must be hurting badly for almost 2 weeks since they told me about his teeth and today was the soonest I could get him in because they don't open until 9 and we have to be at work before then and couldn't arrange it until today. I just feel so relieved and relaxed. Just trying to find a good food now. He still won't drink water but he did eat half his dinner (instructed to only feed 1/2 of what I normally give him) moistened with hot water (I asked if I needed to make him chicken and rice and they laughed at me) and took his antibiotic and pain pill with cheese fine. He's snoring away right now. My poor baby. I hope he's feeling better soon.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
awww, thanks @2BullyMama, I am glad you have a good vet too! And thanks too about your info re: the allergy shots. I am thinking now, yes, we will wait on those!
I have been stressed, anxious, and feeling horribly guilty knowing he must be hurting badly for almost 2 weeks since they told me about his teeth and today was the soonest I could get him in because they don't open until 9 and we have to be at work before then and couldn't arrange it until today. I just feel so relieved and relaxed. Just trying to find a good food now. He still won't drink water but he did eat half his dinner (instructed to only feed 1/2 of what I normally give him) moistened with hot water (I asked if I needed to make him chicken and rice and they laughed at me) and took his antibiotic and pain pill with cheese fine. He's snoring away right now. My poor baby. I hope he's feeling better soon.

Ahhh.... give him big bully hugs from me!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

JAMESnJACLYN

Feb 18, 2012
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda(RIP), Dozer

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online