Few Questions about Howard

Howardsmom

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Howard
So Howard went in for his second set of puppy shots yesterday. He's about 9 1/2 weeks old. He knows weights 14 pounds up from 8 pounds 3 weeks ago!! He does have a bit of a UTI and he's getting antibiotics for it. The vet said there is no blood, but bacteria and a lot of sediment. Said it was pretty common for puppies. I was wondering if there is a supplement to give to help his urinary tract and prevent UTIs in the future?

Also he does have tear staining. No infection or anything, but she said it was just due to the pigment in his tears. It's not terribly noticeable because it's where the black coloring around his eyes meet the white fur, but I can definitely tell. I try to wipe them out daily with either eye wipes or paper towels to dry them. I was wondering if he is too young to try angel eyes? I can't really find an age recommendation online. Do you all think its safe? Oh he is on blue buffalo puppy lamb and oatmeal so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. He is doing well on the food although he still poops a ton and its not always as firm as I'd like (although much better than royal canin bulldog puppy). He's gained weight and his coat is soft. He also is getting the brownish stains around his mouth. I know all this is cosmetic but I hope to get it under control before it gets too bad or causes any skin problems.

Thanks so much!!

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
So Howard went in for his second set of puppy shots yesterday. He's about 9 1/2 weeks old. He knows weights 14 pounds up from 8 pounds 3 weeks ago!! He does have a bit of a UTI and he's getting antibiotics for it. The vet said there is no blood, but bacteria and a lot of sediment. Said it was pretty common for puppies. I was wondering if there is a supplement to give to help his urinary tract and prevent UTIs in the future?

Also he does have tear staining. No infection or anything, but she said it was just due to the pigment in his tears. It's not terribly noticeable because it's where the black coloring around his eyes meet the white fur, but I can definitely tell. I try to wipe them out daily with either eye wipes or paper towels to dry them. I was wondering if he is too young to try angel eyes? I can't really find an age recommendation online. Do you all think its safe? Oh he is on blue buffalo puppy lamb and oatmeal so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. He is doing well on the food although he still poops a ton and its not always as firm as I'd like (although much better than royal canin bulldog puppy). He's gained weight and his coat is soft. He also is getting the brownish stains around his mouth. I know all this is cosmetic but I hope to get it under control before it gets too bad or causes any skin problems.

Thanks so much!!

The "Cranimals" brand, and other cranberry products help with preventing UTIs. Speak to your vet as well as do your own research. I would be hesitant to purchase their recommendation right away, just because you can probably find it cheaper elsewhere.. At least that has been my experience.

I would try to find a holistic way to get rid of the stains, before using Angel Eyes. It contains tylosin which is a low-grade antibiotic. A bit harsh to use on a puppy, plus it's expensive stuff. Others here use water and hydrogen peroxide mix I think, they will chime in soon..

Your best bet for the staining is to change the food. You mentioned he has runny poo, how long has this been going on? The antibiotics could be the cause if it's short term, but if it's been continuous then it's the food.

OP
Howardsmom

Howardsmom

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Howard
The "Cranimals" brand, and other cranberry products help with preventing UTIs. Speak to your vet as well as do your own research. I would be hesitant to purchase their recommendation right away, just because you can probably find it cheaper elsewhere.. At least that has been my experience.

I would try to find a holistic way to get rid of the stains, before using Angel Eyes. It contains tylosin which is a low-grade antibiotic. A bit harsh to use on a puppy, plus it's expensive stuff. Others here use water and hydrogen peroxide mix I think, they will chime in soon..

Your best bet for the staining is to change the food. You mentioned he has runny poo, how long has this been going on? The antibiotics could be the cause if it's short term, but if it's been continuous then it's the food.
Thank you so much for the advice. I will check out those supplements. As far as Howard's poo - when we got him the breeder had him on purina and his poo was fine (go figure). I did a gradual switch to Royal Canin bulldog puppy thinking - hey it's made just for him! Well that was a disaster and the majority of his poo was a pudding like consistency. I gave it a week but then after seeing that it got bad reviews I switched to Blue Buffalo which my other dog is on. It has definitely gotten better. He's been on it for 2 weeks. They are much more formed but still softer than I'd like. Not sure if it is just his age and if that is normal. Occasionally we get a pudding like poo but most of them are just very soft snake like poo (kind of twists around in a pile if that makes sense..gross I know). I've also added Perfect Form by Honest Kitchen to his breakfast and dinner and I think that helps too. He just started the antibiotic yesterday so I do expect some diarrhea with it.

C

Cooper11

Coop and gracie had pudding :poo: seemed like it took forever for him to start pooping solids. I would give it a little more time and if stools are still loose maybe consider Fromm my mom just put Gracie on that.....she was have solid but soft poo and now my mom said he :poo: looks really good and she goes less often!

Do you use stainless steal bowls? Coop has tear stains too but not the brown around the mouth (knock on wood) I know how you feel though The stains don't make us love them any less you are just more embarrassed for him and strangers are the ones to notice it and ask what is wrong or what it is! I haven't had it happen too often but they will say what is wrong with his eyes why is his fur brown like that! My poor baby! :)

C

Cooper11

And actually when did the brown on his mouth start.....before or after the food switch? If it was after you may just want to consider changing his food!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I would try using baby wipes or somthing mild to clean his face...He is still a baby so I would try to avoid anything harsh right now! The blue buffalo is a good brand but if u look in the nutriten forum it does have a thread that gives us food recomendations by rating...The tear stains could be food related or enviromental..Make sure you always keep the mouth clean after eating and drinking as that may help as well...I also just switched Brutus to Fromm Beef Frittatta from Solid Gold and the difference has been amazing...Also keep in mind what works for one puppy doesnt work for all...You have to just find what works for Howard...Ahhh the puppy vet visits dont ya just love them lol We went every 2 weeks it seemed like for months for shots/dewormer .... good luck and let me know if you need anything...

OP
Howardsmom

Howardsmom

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Howard
Thank you all so much! I definitely don't want to use anything harsh as he is still such a baby :luv::luv: Gosh I love him!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Thanks so much!!

[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] and [MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] give HRH a cranberry pill everyday -- they can give you that info to help with the UTIs. For the wrinkle cleaning we use unscented baby wipes daily and witch hazel once/twice a week

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.