Quick question for after bringing home my new pup

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
SO Monday they go for their shots and health certificates. My question is what type of checkups / vet visits do I need to prepare for? Assuming he/she is healthy, what is the standard vet wellness schedule for a new puppy?

4 more days till he or she comes home!!!! (Yea, still have not decided between the two, so she is just holding both!)

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Fecal testing..Bring poo..They check heart, lungs, test their legs..Im drawing a blank

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Def bring fresh :poo: with you! We went to the bet 5 days after bringing Brutus home! They checked his :poo: , eyes, ears, legs, nose, mouth, butt, paws, full body check I called it lol ... They will tell you the shot schedule which is best to split them up just in case their is a reaction.. Do not bring the puppy around other dogs or where other dogs have been until the shots are complete...I belive there are 6 shots that have to be given but dont quote me b.c I dont quite rememberexactly but I know there are quite a few shots! The first set should be given by the breeder and you should have paperwork to show shots, dewormer and vet check! Im drawqing a blank if I missed anything!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Def bring fresh :poo: with you! We went to the bet 5 days after bringing Brutus home! They checked his :poo: , eyes, ears, legs, nose, mouth, butt, paws, full body check I called it lol ... They will tell you the shot schedule which is best to split them up just in case their is a reaction.. Do not bring the puppy around other dogs or where other dogs have been until the shots are complete...I belive there are 6 shots that have to be given but dont quote me b.c I dont quite rememberexactly but I know there are quite a few shots! The first set should be given by the breeder and you should have paperwork to show shots, dewormer and vet check! Im drawqing a blank if I missed anything!

BINGO!

OP
D

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011

Thank you for this. Won't the vet do all of this during the 8 week visit when he is getting his health cert?

What I was meaning is after I bring him home, when should I be thinking about the next vet visit? 12 weeks? 16 weeks?

P.S.

All you guys and girls are great. I don't think I would have ever taken the plunge and bought one of these without the help of this forum.

C

Cooper11

[MENTION=1883]Dissident[/MENTION] so you don't have him yet? If you are just going to be getting him you should take him to your vet for a check up within a week. We took Coop and Gracie the following day. You want to get your pup checked over in case there are any problems. Then your vet will tell you when you need to come back for his next shots and then after yo get those you will have to go back and get his last shots. Other than that you will be good. If he haas problem or anything like soft stools then I would get him check for parasites and see when your breeder dewarmed them last! Good Luck!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Last edited:

Firefighter Lilt

Feb 24, 2012
Baltimore,MD
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandon
I think everyone beat me to it.. But I would take them to my vet soon as they come home let them do their checkup in case the other one missed something.. They pretty much get distemper shots every 3wks ,There are other shots once done with the distemper shots that can be added in there once old enough.. If the pups are going to be around woods where deer are there is a shot .. Near other dogs there is a shot.. round rodents there is a shot... There are other to list but the vet can tell you all of them... Just dont ever be scared to ask questions... That one question maybe the question that help out ur pup in many ways.. Like what to feed ur pup Shew, there is alot out there but what is best for ur pup .. Were all changing here and there ... I've learned with these guys everyday is a new thing I've learned .. But enough of me blah blah ... Congrats on the new soon to be home pup... Dont forget to show some pics for us!!

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
favorite position.jpgI agree, straight to the vet. Then as Roz at work would say, tons of hugs and kisses. A new home is strange, fun, scary and everything else to them.

OP
D

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
Thanks again all. I am actually meeting the breeder at the vet for their 8 week checkup, so I don't feel a real need to take them to a second vet. I will probably just end up going to the breeder's vet (assuming of course that I like the vet and feel confident in them). They are close enough to me that it is not an issue, and I don't really know any local vets that deal with Bulldogs.

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] - No chance of two!!! Me and those two puppies would be living on the street! :nonono:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Thanks again all. I am actually meeting the breeder at the vet for their 8 week checkup, so I don't feel a real need to take them to a second vet. I will probably just end up going to the breeder's vet (assuming of course that I like the vet and feel confident in them). They are close enough to me that it is not an issue, and I don't really know any local vets that deal with Bulldogs.

@JAKEISGREAT - No chance of two!!! Me and those two puppies would be living on the street! :nonono:

:hmm: well..I 'spose there would be worse things! :ROFL:

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we got lola at 11 weeks, adn we had 3 sets of shots, once a month for three months. then a spay. now she's good until next years rabies booster

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.