Integrated Veterinary Medicine

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I have two clients .. husband and wife .. who own Bouviers and one of them, Gus, has been having a lot of problems and he is also getting close to the expected life expectancy of a Bouvier which is very similar to an English Bulldog. The husband actually told me that they had accepted the fact that they would be lucky to see the end of the year with him still with them.

They found out about a vet that is very local to them (and me). She is chinese and certified in chinese medicine and also a fully qualified vet here in the States.... so she has taken what she feels to be the best of both medical worlds and has integrated them into how she practices medicine.

So they took, Gus, their Bouvier along to see her for the first time about a month ago and the first thing she did was put him on TOTW Bison ... she said it was the leanest protein source and the one best suited for him. Also, this vet gave them a recipe that she wanted them to add to each meal .... and told them no dairy of any kind. The vet said that Gus had a lot of Mucous and he was carrying pain in the front of his body but it was manifesting as a weakness in his back end so he could no longer get himself up from a lying down position to a standing one. She said that dairy helps to build up mucous and that was what was causing that phlegmy (sp) sound and what he occasionally was throwing up ...the clear or brown phlegm.

After the intial consult they changed to TOTW and added this mix to his food, but the vet had also ordered for a specific blend of herbs to be made and they picked that up about two weeks ago. They add the mixture of herbs to his food each day.

At the same time as they picked up the herbs Gus had his first dose of acupuncture. Two weeks later (yesterday) he went back for his second dose. In a months time they will take him back again for a third. The vet said he may need five or six acupuncture treatments but the length of time in between each one gets extended.

I knew these clients long before the discovery of this vet, and had heard how Gus could not stand up by himself. How he looked and acted old and lethargic and how his arthritus was causing him pain. Apparently, last night it was warm enough that they left the french doors leading out of their bedroom to the patio open with just a locked fly screen. Gus took off twice, like a bat out of hell, into the back yard last night after some imaginary animal, and on the second time took the fly screen with him! They say he is acting like a two year old again.

He had been on rimadyl for the pain, and to start the vet kept him on it but I know that now she has moved him onto a different kind of arthritus medicine .. can't remember the name.

The reason I bring this subject up here is because I am firstly fascinated with this integrated style of medicine. Maggie has always been very mucous and phlegmy ... so when I heard about the dairy I took it out of her diet completely. There has been a NOTICEABLE change in her breathing and before she used to wake up in the mornings and be very congested ... totally gone now!!! My next step is to add this mix to all of my dogs food .. it can't harm them and see what happens.

If anybody else wants to try it too ...... chopped celery, chopped spinach, chopped kidney beans, pear, fresh raw beansprouts chopped. All these things are low in natural sugar.

I actually mentioned this to another of my clients who is one of the directors for Case Western medical school here in Cleveland ... and who is also a crazy animal/dog lover. She told me that integrated medicine is really starting to emerge in the treatment of humans too. That there are doctors who are taking the best of everything.

Just thought I'd share cos I find it very interesting ... in a world where I think antibiotics are prescribed for anything and everything without any real care or consideration given to the patient ... human or bulldog!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
We had our Rottie on accupuncture treatments for 2 years. The doctor also used herbs and vitamins. The accupuncture was sooo wonderful. Now she was on prescriptions aplenty also! We lost her to bone cancer but I know we got an extra 2 or 3 years with her.

Last edited:

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Very interesting, I've been thinking I should give Kain an egg treat since I'm probably the only one who doesnt. I will double think that for sure.

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I got everything today but the raw beansprouts so will have to go try another grocery store tomorrow ... but I will report back on how it goes. I'm planning in just mixing it into their food ..... not just the bullys but the others too. The way I look at it is that it sounds really healthy so it can't harm!!!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
This was very interesting to read! Thanks for taking the time to post this! Very helpful information for all of us!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
sounds like doggy coleslaw. I may have to try it if it works out so well with the babies at your house Karen!! The boys are already on a bison formula food, so that step is covered, but they do get yogurt in their food. None of my seem really phlegmy though

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
VERY interesting! I will be watching your posts about this with interest! There's a massage therapist for animals in my area (well, Seattle) but I've never heard of a dog acupuncturist....I'll bet there is one though. This is Seattle, after all.

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] - making sure you see this, Sandra.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] That's super interesting...I used to see a traditional Chinese medical practitioner and she helped me with better food choices that reduced inflammation...it makes sense how they approach food and herbs as medicine to support health...could you pm me with her contact information?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I'd be very interested in seeing how this works out for Maggie and the rest of your tribe @kazzy220.
I really feel our oriental friends have much to teach us when it comes to health and how they treat ailments.
I see a Chinese Herbalist myself for my ears and am having some good results and am even trialing a hold on my antibiotic cover :eek:
I just pray that I don't get another infection. But anything is worth a try as I am already on my 3rd antibiotic after building up resistance to the others .

Angie..... I really don't like the fact that vets and MD's for that matter always go for the antibiotics whenever there is a problem. Your body has the ability to repair itself given the right signals from the brain.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
The only pharmaceutical meds that I have been giving Abby are the aluminum hydroxide and pepcid and I am going to start phasing the pepcid out since her stomach seems fine now. I'm not sure if her fluids count as pharmaceutical? It's saline and electrolytes. Everything else that I have been giving her is herbal and organic. I have also been doing hydrotherapy for her every night and I also found a great canine acupressure map online and have been doing that for her too.

I stopped giving Abby yogurt and cottage cheese when I read an article saying to avoid it if the phosphorous in the blood is high, and hers was critically high. Oddly enough, I read that article while sitting in the vets office. Abby had a cough that I couldn't explain so I took her in. The doctor said it might be the start of something and gave her antibiotics. I got home and decided to only give her those pills if the cough got worse. I didn't want to fill her blood with extra stuff to filter out on a "just in case". I stopped the yogurt and cheeses and the cough stopped. I still have a full bottle of antibiotics sitting on the dresser if anyone needs them :)

OP
kazzy220

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
@kazzy220 That's super interesting...I used to see a traditional Chinese medical practitioner and she helped me with better food choices that reduced inflammation...it makes sense how they approach food and herbs as medicine to support health...could you pm me with her contact information?

[MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION] Im training the husband again tomorrow morning and he's going to bring in her card for me. The Case Western client is also interested in this so I'll passing the information on to her too. As soon as I get the name and the address I'll PM it to you. I do know that she is based in North Ridgeville!!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Very interesting. I'll have to look into something like that, it hasn't gotten real bad but arthritis has definitely set into Samson's one leg that was broken and had the orthopedic surgery and I know I'm going to have to find a good way to manage that pain in the future. I think it's also really good to know about the dairy causing phelm as well because I know alot of people here feed yogurt as a healthy treat/food topper and may not know it is causing an issue. I knew about that in the case of humans, like avoiding dairy when you are congested but had never thought of it applying to dogs as well even though it makes total sense LOL

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.