Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Okay so does this happen to anyone else? ....

So today we are at the park like we do everyday and a lady noticed my frenchie first and complimented how cute she was, but when Gio came running down the path and the lady gasped and went on to tell ME how unhealthy english bulldogs are and how many health problems they have, and she knew this because she watched a special on them 3 years ago! UMMMM THANKS! Ya I politely told the lady that I know everything about this bread all ready and was fully aware of the health problems these EB have before I adopted him, and I also went on to explain that these guys still have great lives even with the health problems as long as the owners take care of them like they should! BUT THEN I brought them to the groomers for a bath and when I was there I saw a guy with an Olde English and was telling the guy what a cute dog he had and that I had an english and french getting bathed, and the guy did the same exact thing the lady at the park did, he began to tell me how unhealthy they are! Is it just me or does anyone else ever have this problem?! I was so taken back by this, I have gotten these comments before but both people seemed as if I was a bad person for owning an EB! But then I saw Gio running around and as happy as a clam and realized that they are just jealous they don't have a sweet, happy, loving, funny dog like my Gio!:D

Just wanted to upload some pictures from today! (The first two are of them after getting a bath, SO CLEAN! And the last one is of Gio on the way to the groomers (you can see little Diva looking out the window behind him!)
photo-8.jpg photo-10.jpgphoto-9.JPG

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
Ug! I hear you one this one!!! Last week, when we were in getting Rook's stitches out from his neuter I got the same lecture... from the vet! Needless to say I'm on the hunt for a new vet.

ps Gio is very handsome and obviously very happy. How dare those jealous people give you a hard time for giving such a sweet boy a good life in a home where he is loved!

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Your dogs are beautiful!

Yeah I've gotten comments before. I am rarely outwardly rude to people but I usually say "I did not ask for your freaking opinion on my pets, worry about your own damn business" usually with a slight personal jab in there as well. It gets me irate!! Certainly not the best approach but I find when I am nice and try to explain or educate people, it just gives them a platform to spew more uninformed opinions.

One time this lady at the dog park, who must have owned bulldogs before, said "they are great dogs, they will break your heart when they die". This is when Poppy was 4 months old. Yeah ok lady. Thanks for that ray of sunshine!!

Let's both make a vow to take things with a grain of salt ;)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have not had this happen before, but have had people ask me if they drool a lot. I just tell them not that much, usually only after they drink water and move on.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
I think some of the recent negative opinions stem from the NYT article about the bulldog. Most people missed the point that it's the dangerous irresponsible breeders that should be eradicated, not the breed itself. This should apply to all breeds of dogs! But hey folks will believe everything they see/read without question.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
***touching wood*** ........ that is one thing I HAVEN'T had said to me.

What I get are the comments about how ugly they are .......... makes me so fricking mad I could just kick 'em!!! :girlfight:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I get it a lot too.... 'wow, I hear they are always sick and cost a lot at the vet.' :cursing:

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
My favorite is "don't they only live for 6 years?".

I'm surprised I haven't been arrested yet!!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I just usually get "aren't they expensive to own" and "OMG, he's so fat" (about Oliver) now that one really ticks me off. He's not fat, he only weighs 62 pounds, but he has the ultimate bulldog build, tank like.

OP
mcraven2

mcraven2

Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3904]Poppy[/MENTION] ya the lifespan one is always fun to get! Thanks for telling me when my dog is gonna die...:cursing:! And I agree with you that everyone is saying this because of the NYT article, but like it said, its the breeder NOT the breed! And I also agree with the not getting arrested part, I think if one more person said something to me today I would have flipped!! We should definitely vow to take things with a grain of salt :yes:!! And thanks for calling my babies beautiful :D

[MENTION=3735]LaurenA[/MENTION] your VET said that!? WOW! And thanks for the nice compliments!!

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] its amazing what people will say! I am pretty sure we are the one looking at the vet bills, not them!

[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] I get mad too!! How could someone call these guys ugly, we are so lucky to be able to look at these cute faces everyday!!

[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] I get the drool comments too, and I answer the same exact way you do!

[MENTION=4277]gunnyboy[/MENTION] you're so right! I have to learn to let it go. I usually don't take it to heart but I think because two strangers said it in one day I reached my boiling point!! But they do put so much love and joy in our hearts that those people are just missing out :D!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
If anybody gets the lifespan one .... my foster bully, Tinkerbell, sadly passed away in February and she had just turned 12. In our rescue we have a few sprightly seniors around 9 or 10 ... so tell them to stick it where the sun don't shine! I mean ... why would anybody comment on how soon somebodys pet is going to die. Totally unacceptable!!

OP
mcraven2

mcraven2

Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
@Kim Sebastian n Oliver I HATE the fat comment!! They have no idea that this is what they are supposed to look like!! I tell them that Gio is actually small at 50lbs!!

traciehorne

Feb 2, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey, Otis and Diesel
We always get the.... "oh my goodness are they ok? Why do they snort and breathe so loud" my response generally is surprised because until they point it out to me I honestly don't hear it. I know that silence is now deafening but snorting is bliss!!! I then get the "that noise would drive me nuts" well in my opinion it wouldn't be that far of a drive!! :) I love all 3 of my bully babies and all of their slobbery noisy snorty snotty gassy sweet habits. :heart:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Very nice pictures of them both! I get it as well and quite frankley it is annyoing!!! There are somethings you keep to yourself and dont say! We know the truth about our babies and thats all that matters! But I def agree

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online