Why do people feel the need to..

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
I haven't had any negative incidents regarding their health but I have had a few people ask about health problems with the breed (in the same way they would ask about health issues with another breed). One guy actually talked about hip dysplasia in his GS before asking me what sort of issues are common with bullies. I am okay with that.

We DID however have two negative incidents in the last week:

1) We were at an offleash park. Earlier in the day Chance had joined Stiggy, Punkin, Gregory and other TO bulldogs for a bully meetup. Because I couldn't join them at the time and because it was a great day, Chance's dad took us back to the park that afternoon.

One dog was barking at Chance and Chance barked back. We sat Chance down, as did the other dog's owner and continued talking. This lady (whose dog was not involved) hurried over to tell me that the "law" said that an uncastrated male isn't allowed in an off-leash park. The guy whose Shiba Inu was barking at Chance didn't seem concerned and was actually taking pics of him (and came to our defense) but the lady was adamant. While I cannot fault her in that there were signs on the park gate, there had been several uncastrated males running around earlier during the event. On top of that, the law has actually changed in Toronto but the sign was out of date. (I looked up the off-leash by-law last year before Chance had finished his shots so I'd know whether he could run off-leash).

I didn't want to argue with the lady so we left but it really put a damper on my day being told to leave a park.

2) Chance went to the vet yesterday to get his eye looked at. A whole host of things pissed his dad off but the icing on the cake was the vet saying "there's a guy who wants to breed with Chance. Can I give him your number?" Sean told him (politely) that any type of inquiry like that would have to go through our breeder (which was his nice way of saying "WTF dude...we're not randomly breeding our dog with some guy.") The VET actually responded with "What? Really? Are breeders that picky?"

For real?!

And they wonder why there are health problems with the breed.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
My responses to those would have been

Incident number 1) ..... I might have been obnoxiously rude to the woman.

Incident number 2) ..... I might have been obnoxiously rude to the vet.

:evil:

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Chance's dad stopped me from responding to the woman (but I am not confrontational by nature). I wasn't at the vet though... as it was Sean was pretty close to telling him off so I can't imagine what I would have done. Looking for a new vet now.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..I've got a story for you! I was in line at the post office at Christmas time...:bang: The wait was at least 45 minutes. Soooo who comes and gets in line behind me? My ex vet that I "fired" because of the way we were treated when we had to euthanize our sweet Rottie, Ana. (Long Story). Well, we hadn't really spoken since I cut the cord and moved on to a new vet. We started with small talk about the holidays..blah..blah..blah. Eventually the conversation turned to pets and she asked what we had in our menagerie now. I talked about Dena Dog, whom she knew, and the cats. Then I said, "Oh ya..we got our first puppy after 20 plus years!" She asked what we got, and the look on her face when I said English Bulldog, was priceless!! "Oh my gawwwwd," she exclaimed! "Are you crazy? Do you realize the health problems you have just purchased? Their eyes..their skin, their hips??". I let her go on and said yes, of course I was aware. We had done plenty of research and tried to get a healthy pup. How are his eyes?? She asked this at least 4 times! I informed her that he had been a very healthy guy and such a joy. She just kept shaking her head..I finally said.."look Dr. D......, we spent thousands and thousands of dollars, with you, on mixed breed dogs and other "healthier" breeds. And then the thousands on cats we've spent! I'm thinking your more worried you might be missing out on our money than you are about our Jake."That shut her up and I felt sooo good. :D

FATDADDYBULLDOG

Mar 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
I have 5 English Bullies and have not been to the Vet for illness/ailments in over 3 years. (Knock on wood). Next time someone brings it up, just ask them have they ever had one. If no, then chalk it up to lack of knowledge. If yes, chalk it up to their experience. Not all English Bullies have health issues.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Well..I've got a story for you! I was in line at the post office at Christmas time...:bang: The wait was at least 45 minutes. Soooo who comes and gets in line behind me? My ex vet that I "fired" because of the way we were treated when we had to euthanize our sweet Rottie, Ana. (Long Story). Well, we hadn't really spoken since I cut the cord and moved on to a new vet. We started with small talk about the holidays..blah..blah..blah. Eventually the conversation turned to pets and she asked what we had in our menagerie now. I talked about Dena Dog, whom she knew, and the cats. Then I said, "Oh ya..we got our first puppy after 20 plus years!" She asked what we got, and the look on her face when I said English Bulldog, was priceless!! "Oh my gawwwwd," she exclaimed! "Are you crazy? Do you realize the health problems you have just purchased? Their eyes..their skin, their hips??". I let her go on and said yes, of course I was aware. We had done plenty of research and tried to get a healthy pup. How are his eyes?? She asked this at least 4 times! I informed her that he had been a very healthy guy and such a joy. She just kept shaking her head..I finally said.."look Dr. D......, we spent thousands and thousands of dollars, with you, on mixed breed dogs and other "healthier" breeds. And then the thousands on cats we've spent! I'm thinking your more worried you might be missing out on our money than you are about our Jake."That shut her up and I felt sooo good. :D

I would have loved to see the face after that! Wohoooo You go Girl! LOL But seriously we all know what she was really worried about and it wasnt your Jake! Good for you for saying something to her! Sorry about what you had previously gone through but think without that you wouldnt know what you know now!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

You GO GIRL :bitchslap:

GRACIE11

Feb 11, 2012
Fairbank, Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie Mae "The Diva"
I get told that mine is fat....that's a face only a mother could love.:cry: But I do get more compliments that outweigh the negative ones! If you can't say anything nice than don't say anything at all....I've always liked that old saying!:sense:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Having a set of "stock answers" for people's weirdo comments is helpful for me - but I use the time to educate idiots. Hey, THEY talked to me first, so they're going to get my EB elevator-speech-education on whatever erroneous topic they were dumb enough to comment to me on. :D

I had an experience with my first Bullie's vet that mirrors yours [MENTION=2565]malaviKat[/MENTION] . Thankfully, there's a little tool online called "YELP" and I was able to share my experience with the rest of the world, for eternity. :yes:

Howardsmom

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Howard
People are so rude! I took my skin babies to the park the other day and got to chatting with another mother. I mentioned that we had recently gotten an EB puppy. She proceeded to look shocked and tried to tell me to be careful because they are unpredictable and not good with children!!! Apparently she knew someone a long time ago that had one blah blah blah. I said well that's funny because if you google best dogs for kids, you'll see EBs in most of the articles as being wonderful with children and having a gentle nature. Ugggggggg

BrooklynStar

Feb 21, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
It drives me nuts!!! When I first got Dozer 98% of everyone i told went on to tell me all the cons of owning one...idk wtf is wrong with some people. Everyone thinks they are a professor when it comes to this stuff.

C

Cooper11

ummmmm...........they are just totally JEALOUS!!!! I haven't really had many people say this to me but we don't get out much lol. I did see some one had posted a pic of their bulldog on facebook and I was asking what kind it was and they said and mini olde and I said what is a mini olde I never heard of a mini.....she describe an olde english bulldog to me and proceeded to tell me the difference between her olde and an english that they have less health problems and this and that. I have no clue why she thought hers was a mini you would think a mini olde would be a regular english......who knows!

C

Cooper11

:yes: :heart: it!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
ummmmm...........they are just totally JEALOUS!!!! I haven't really had many people say this to me but we don't get out much lol. I did see some one had posted a pic of their bulldog on facebook and I was asking what kind it was and they said and mini olde and I said what is a mini olde I never heard of a mini.....she describe an olde english bulldog to me and proceeded to tell me the difference between her olde and an english that they have less health problems and this and that. I have no clue why she thought hers was a mini you would think a mini olde would be a regular english......who knows!

Hmm.. ok I've heard of minis ... and I've heard of Olde English ... but a mini olde.... whut??? Never heard of that one before!!!! :crazy:

C

Cooper11

Hmm.. ok I've heard of minis ... and I've heard of Olde English ... but a mini olde.... whut??? Never heard of that one before!!!! :crazy:

Me either.......I ask what is a mini Olde and she replied with a description of an olde and how they have less health problem and I replied yes I know what an Olde is I never knew they had Mini Olde.....lol....I guess if they want to think that, then let them :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.