Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do people feel the need to..

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why do people feel the need to..

@[replacer_a] I HATE the fat comment!! They have no idea that this is what they are supposed to look like!! I tell them that Gio is actually small at 50lbs!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bailey, Otis and Diesel
    Likes (Received)

We always get the.... "oh my goodness are they ok? Why do they snort and breathe so loud" my response generally is surprised because until they point it out to me I honestly don't hear it. I know that silence is now deafening but snorting is bliss!!! I then get the "that noise would drive me nuts" well in my opinion it wouldn't be that far of a drive!! I love all 3 of my bully babies and all of their slobbery noisy snorty snotty gassy sweet habits.

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Very nice pictures of them both! I get it as well and quite frankley it is annyoing!!! There are somethings you keep to yourself and dont say! We know the truth about our babies and thats all that matters! But I def agree
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chance
    Likes (Received)

I haven't had any negative incidents regarding their health but I have had a few people ask about health problems with the breed (in the same way they would ask about health issues with another breed). One guy actually talked about hip dysplasia in his GS before asking me what sort of issues are common with bullies. I am okay with that.

We DID however have two negative incidents in the last week:

1) We were at an offleash park. Earlier in the day Chance had joined Stiggy, Punkin, Gregory and other TO bulldogs for a bully meetup. Because I couldn't join them at the time and because it was a great day, Chance's dad took us back to the park that afternoon.

One dog was barking at Chance and Chance barked back. We sat Chance down, as did the other dog's owner and continued talking. This lady (whose dog was not involved) hurried over to tell me that the "law" said that an uncastrated male isn't allowed in an off-leash park. The guy whose Shiba Inu was barking at Chance didn't seem concerned and was actually taking pics of him (and came to our defense) but the lady was adamant. While I cannot fault her in that there were signs on the park gate, there had been several uncastrated males running around earlier during the event. On top of that, the law has actually changed in Toronto but the sign was out of date. (I looked up the off-leash by-law last year before Chance had finished his shots so I'd know whether he could run off-leash).

I didn't want to argue with the lady so we left but it really put a damper on my day being told to leave a park.

2) Chance went to the vet yesterday to get his eye looked at. A whole host of things pissed his dad off but the icing on the cake was the vet saying "there's a guy who wants to breed with Chance. Can I give him your number?" Sean told him (politely) that any type of inquiry like that would have to go through our breeder (which was his nice way of saying "WTF dude...we're not randomly breeding our dog with some guy.") The VET actually responded with "What? Really? Are breeders that picky?"

For real?!

And they wonder why there are health problems with the breed.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

My responses to those would have been

Incident number 1) ..... I might have been obnoxiously rude to the woman.

Incident number 2) ..... I might have been obnoxiously rude to the vet.

Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chance
    Likes (Received)

Chance's dad stopped me from responding to the woman (but I am not confrontational by nature). I wasn't at the vet though... as it was Sean was pretty close to telling him off so I can't imagine what I would have done. Looking for a new vet now.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Well..I've got a story for you! I was in line at the post office at Christmas time... The wait was at least 45 minutes. Soooo who comes and gets in line behind me? My ex vet that I "fired" because of the way we were treated when we had to euthanize our sweet Rottie, Ana. (Long Story). Well, we hadn't really spoken since I cut the cord and moved on to a new vet. We started with small talk about the holidays..blah..blah..blah. Eventually the conversation turned to pets and she asked what we had in our menagerie now. I talked about Dena Dog, whom she knew, and the cats. Then I said, "Oh ya..we got our first puppy after 20 plus years!" She asked what we got, and the look on her face when I said English Bulldog, was priceless!! "Oh my gawwwwd," she exclaimed! "Are you crazy? Do you realize the health problems you have just purchased? Their eyes..their skin, their hips??". I let her go on and said yes, of course I was aware. We had done plenty of research and tried to get a healthy pup. How are his eyes?? She asked this at least 4 times! I informed her that he had been a very healthy guy and such a joy. She just kept shaking her head..I finally said.."look Dr. D......, we spent thousands and thousands of dollars, with you, on mixed breed dogs and other "healthier" breeds. And then the thousands on cats we've spent! I'm thinking your more worried you might be missing out on our money than you are about our Jake."That shut her up and I felt sooo good.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack
    Likes (Received)

I have 5 English Bullies and have not been to the Vet for illness/ailments in over 3 years. (Knock on wood). Next time someone brings it up, just ask them have they ever had one. If no, then chalk it up to lack of knowledge. If yes, chalk it up to their experience. Not all English Bullies have health issues.

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Well..I've got a story for you! I was in line at the post office at Christmas time... The wait was at least 45 minutes. Soooo who comes and gets in line behind me? My ex vet that I "fired" because of the way we were treated when we had to euthanize our sweet Rottie, Ana. (Long Story). Well, we hadn't really spoken since I cut the cord and moved on to a new vet. We started with small talk about the holidays..blah..blah..blah. Eventually the conversation turned to pets and she asked what we had in our menagerie now. I talked about Dena Dog, whom she knew, and the cats. Then I said, "Oh ya..we got our first puppy after 20 plus years!" She asked what we got, and the look on her face when I said English Bulldog, was priceless!! "Oh my gawwwwd," she exclaimed! "Are you crazy? Do you realize the health problems you have just purchased? Their eyes..their skin, their hips??". I let her go on and said yes, of course I was aware. We had done plenty of research and tried to get a healthy pup. How are his eyes?? She asked this at least 4 times! I informed her that he had been a very healthy guy and such a joy. She just kept shaking her head..I finally said.."look Dr. D......, we spent thousands and thousands of dollars, with you, on mixed breed dogs and other "healthier" breeds. And then the thousands on cats we've spent! I'm thinking your more worried you might be missing out on our money than you are about our Jake."That shut her up and I felt sooo good.
    I would have loved to see the face after that! Wohoooo You go Girl! LOL But seriously we all know what she was really worried about and it wasnt your Jake! Good for you for saying something to her! Sorry about what you had previously gone through but think without that you wouldnt know what you know now!
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post

You GO GIRL

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gracie Mae "The Diva"
    Likes (Received)

I get told that mine is fat....that's a face only a mother could love. But I do get more compliments that outweigh the negative ones! If you can't say anything nice than don't say anything at all....I've always liked that old saying!

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Having a set of "stock answers" for people's weirdo comments is helpful for me - but I use the time to educate idiots. Hey, THEY talked to me first, so they're going to get my EB elevator-speech-education on whatever erroneous topic they were dumb enough to comment to me on.

I had an experience with my first Bullie's vet that mirrors yours @malaviKat . Thankfully, there's a little tool online called "YELP" and I was able to share my experience with the rest of the world, for eternity.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads