Off Leash Running Away Advice

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
So we have had really nice weather here in Jersey and I have been taking Brutus to the park in the afternoons and sometimes at night if hubby wants! It is a fairly big park that cars drive through and different areas with different things its neat! I never have my dogs off leash anywhere! Long story short I had Chanel's mother and she was either stolen/ran out! 4 1/2 years ago Long story and makes me cry to just type about her! How did you guys start taking your babies off leash and where were you when you did it! Im scared a squirrel or bird will make him lose focus and run off!

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Hmm both of mine were really young when we started off leash and are dependable 98% of the time, lol.

In dog training I learned you can keep a 6 ft leash on them and let it drag on the ground. This way if they take off you can step on the leash or grab it. Stay away from dogs that are acting crazy and their owners aren't paying attention, this is a recipe for disaster when you're unsure of your own dogs recall.

It's a lot easier to do off leash if you've mastered leash walking first.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Also kind of cheating but I sometimes bring treats and reward them for focusing on me or doing a long sit-stay.

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Well my Chanel is never off leash no matter what! Brutus has a retractable leash and usually doesnt go far from me! HE will walk ahead and smell but stop look back wait for me and the continue on ..... The only time I feel he would take off if he sees a squirrel running ughhh he hates them!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We never go off leash with ours, especially if we are walking by a road. We don't really have a good wide open place to walk them here any way unless I drive to a dog park or something like that. Then you hae to watch out for the other dogs there to make sure no one gets in a fight.

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
We never go off leash with ours, especially if we are walking by a road. We don't really have a good wide open place to walk them here any way unless I drive to a dog park or something like that. Then you hae to watch out for the other dogs there to make sure no one gets in a fight.

We have a backyard and they like it! We try to walk the side of the park no dogs/people so they can roam with leash on the retractable lets them walk away a little but Im just too scared full no leash!

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I explained recently in another thread about the "dog park" in my town. Its a small woods with different paths and all the dogs are allowed off leash. There are usually at least 10 other dogs at any given time threw out the day. When I first got Gio in December I brought him up only 3 times with the leash on and felt comfortable enough to take it off. The first few times he wouldn't listen to me when I called him if another dog was walking the other way, he wouldn't run away from me but he would start to just walk next to the other dog. After awhile I would start to really praise him every time he came back when I called him and now he will stop and stare at another dog but run right back to me. Its nice because I trust him enough to run around with the other dogs chasing each other threw the woods but he will come back when I call or if the other dog runs back to his owner.

I was nervous the first few times I had him off leash but after awhile he seemed to not be fazed by as much and didn't feel the need to wander off. He gets so tired from being up there for an hour or two that when its time to leave, he seems more excited to be going home then me! And when we finally do get home, Gio is napping for at least two hours!

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Gunny is on leash everywhere we go. But when he"s home he is never on leash, he dosen"t go anywhere just sits and watches the chickens I trust him 100% he never wanders off. He"s a good boy !

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks is on electric collar, but only in the back of our house (townhouse development).... she listens very well, but when we go for a walk she is always on leash.

Nitschke - he was AWESOME, I could walk him anywhere and he stayed right next to me, I always had a leash on if we were near a street, but if I wanted him to walk free for a while I could and he really barely left my side.

Cheli -- HA.. ain't going to happen -- psycho dog with a very strong prey drive

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online