Cooper Vet Appt....Please leave feedback for me!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
HRH has dry eye that at first seemed might be entropian. Her vet wanted to try optimmune ointment first and it fixed her issue enough that she doesn't need to have the surgery. She had really goopy eye boogers every morning before the ointment. Now she gets hardly any goop. So my advice is explore the options before jumping into surgery.

I agree, trying antibiotic eye ointment first, or having the eyes tacked would be less expensive, often times the entropion is caused by something else, such as an allergy or eye infection. Every other appt Jesse had as a young pup they said she did, she didn't, she did, she didn't. I finally found it was the food, (I was feeding Iams back then :barf:), and she has never had anything since. Both Tidus's eyes had it when he had an ulcer issue, and they sucked the $$$$ right out of my trying to "Avoid Surgery". Heck as much as I spent "Avoiding surgery" I could have given him a facelift! I am still mad about that! :angry:

Just be careful that they do not do unnecessary things, many vets see a bulldog and think "Cha Ching!"

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
OMG what happened to Coop!! I'm so sorry he isn't feeling well :(

First of all, if it is acid reflux they will probably tell you to give him Pepcid every day. I have zero experience with eye problems but as others have said, it's expensive but can be dealt with. And if he's swallowed something they (depending on what it is) they will either give him something to help it pass or they will try to pull it out right there while he is sedated. Sometimes it requires surgery but lets not think about that just yet :)

Stay positive. I'm glad you found a vet that you like. I think the right doctors make all the difference. I'm praying for you 2.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
If he did swallow something that he's having troubles passing an Xray will more than likely show that (but not always!!!).

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] who was it who's bully was doing this and ended up swallowing his daughter's bra? The xray showed it buy only the metal clasp.

The gal that cuts my hair, her weiner dog had over 20+ hair ties that he had swallowed for who know how long that were her daughter's.

An xray for Coop is now in order.

Agree with this as well. I also remember [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] was it who swallowed a head of a toy and had tons of troubles during the food switch?

Also Jesse is my sock/blanket/rug/towel eater, I have found towels that were torn apart by her a month prior and she vomited them up. After she eats a sock (and I catch her) I will give her some peroxide to help her get it out, sometimes it does not come. So I watch her for a few days, and she will eat/vomit/eat/vomit/eat/vomit and I take her to the vet. They do an x ray, shows nothing.

About a month later I go outside and spot purple in my desert. I go over to it and it is the LARGEST piece of purple blanket I had thrown away that she chewed up forever ago!

Tidus ate a head off a very small toy, saw him do it too, thought it may have been small enough to pass. Well three weeks later he :barf: it up! Still in the same shape as it went down too!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Also..[MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] ate a training bra and had big issues! My daughters Golden Retriever has acid reflux. Now his is usually stomache bile when he :barf:.. How she dealt with is..he gets a rice cake right before bedtime..works like a charm.
poor Coop! I'm glad you found a vet you like..that's so important.

OP
C

Cooper11

So he probably has entropian in one eye..Getting the surgery will fix it. I had a foster with it..We just did the tacking surgery and it fixed it. On the acid reflux, I would assume that dogs could get it too.. Ive never experienced it. Are you doing any allergy testing? It may be as simple as an allergy to something he is eating. Maybe the yogurt some cant handle dairy.

The recovery from the entropian is pretty easy.

Hope Cooper gets better fast..
I am going to mention allergy test tomorrow. I was thinking of it today but when he was rambling my mind went blank :eek: I know me not talking lol. But he is thinking more acid reflex because of their body the way it is formed. And the fact he is throing up in the morning. He said he is eating the grass trying to make himself throw up cause the acid in his tummy must be pretty bad. I guess we will see what the blood test says.

He himself even told me that English Bulldogs are not like any other breed of dog, they truly are a breed amongst themselves. :) That made me happy. He was very good with Coop too. The other vet never even looked at his eye the way he did. And you are right that is what he said it was. He said a name with a "d" to just can't remember it!

OP
C

Cooper11

aww...what is going on with Watson's buddy? Hope nothing serious. If they are going to scope him they will sedate him a put a little telescope into his esophagus and down into his stomach to see what is going on in there. I am a little concern still that he may have swallowed something that he can't pass. Watson swallowed a bunch of bedding material yesterday and threw up all over the bed this morning and it was a gigantic matted blob of bedding material. I am watching him closely too. He seems to be normal. No vomiting since this morning.

Yeah that is why he wants to do more xrays. He said he doesn't trust the other vets and wanted to do it his way. He was asking if Cooper is one to eat anything and random things...but he is not a chewer and doesn't eat everything he sees. Now Gracie does but not Coop!

OP
C

Cooper11

If he did swallow something that he's having troubles passing an Xray will more than likely show that (but not always!!!).

@2BullyMama who was it who's bully was doing this and ended up swallowing his daughter's bra? The xray showed it buy only the metal clasp.

The gal that cuts my hair, her weiner dog had over 20+ hair ties that he had swallowed for who know how long that were her daughter's.

An xray for Coop is now in order.

Yeah he had xrays last week that didn't show anything but will make me feel better after this vets checks! Thanks for your input Queenie!

OP
C

Cooper11

I agree, trying antibiotic eye ointment first, or having the eyes tacked would be less expensive, often times the entropion is caused by something else, such as an allergy or eye infection. Every other appt Jesse had as a young pup they said she did, she didn't, she did, she didn't. I finally found it was the food, (I was feeding Iams back then :barf:), and she has never had anything since. Both Tidus's eyes had it when he had an ulcer issue, and they sucked the $$$$ right out of my trying to "Avoid Surgery". Heck as much as I spent "Avoiding surgery" I could have given him a facelift! I am still mad about that! :angry:

Just be careful that they do not do unnecessary things, many vets see a bulldog and think "Cha Ching!"

Yes I agree. I think he had mentioned the oitment too! I am glad I asked all of you! I think I will ask for alternatives ..really wasn't having a problem with his eyes other than that one drained more and had a worse tear stain than the other. Just yesterday it started really tearing and I couldn't get it fry and I noticed yellow around in the tear stain. Used the MalAcetic wipes tonight. Coops hate them but too bad. I put gold bond on after. I got witch hazel tonight also...do people use that on yeast??? I can't remember!

OP
C

Cooper11

Also..@Jack Daniels ate a training bra and had big issues! My daughters Golden Retriever has acid reflux. Now his is usually stomache bile when he :barf:.. How she dealt with is..he gets a rice cake right before bedtime..works like a charm.
poor Coop! I'm glad you found a vet you like..that's so important.

OMG Thanks you so much! I am going to try the rice cake thing. The vet also mention having an empty tummy at night time and suggested giving a handful of kibble right before bed. Coop has been throwing up the yellow junk too. It started out he was throwing up after he ate and now that is fixed...now he is throwing up only in the morning and only the yellow stomach stuff!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
You're very welcome. The reason I thought or Piamitch is that had that metal clasp not been on the bra the X-ray did not pick it up, only he clasp showed up!!! The bra was traveling down to the point of no return. Ask you vet what is the possibility of something in the tummy, just to be safe. :)

OP
C

Cooper11

OMG what happened to Coop!! I'm so sorry he isn't feeling well :(

First of all, if it is acid reflux they will probably tell you to give him Pepcid every day. I have zero experience with eye problems but as others have said, it's expensive but can be dealt with. And if he's swallowed something they (depending on what it is) they will either give him something to help it pass or they will try to pull it out right there while he is sedated. Sometimes it requires surgery but lets not think about that just yet :)

Stay positive. I'm glad you found a vet that you like. I think the right doctors make all the difference. I'm praying for you 2.
He went to the vet last week and they gave him and antibiotic and a pill that I think it just like pepcid. They helped and he didn't throw up for like 3 days and then all the Sudden Sunday morning he threw up the yellow junk and then again on Monday Morning same thing. Today he didn't throw up be he ate a little later last night and they say it help if they have something in their belly when they go to bed. I am just so tires of :barf: :) I have no right to complain about Coops issues I am thinking and hoping they are minor compared to Miss Addy's problem! I am soooo sooooo happy :dancing: he test came back the way they did! You need to tell those vet techs to back off she is your baby!! :nono: :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
OMG Thanks you so much! I am going to try the rice cake thing. The vet also mention having an empty tummy at night time and suggested giving a handful of kibble right before bed. Coop has been throwing up the yellow junk too. It started out he was throwing up after he ate and now that is fixed...now he is throwing up only in the morning and only the yellow stomach stuff!

My daughters vet..mine too..:D..said if its yellow. It's because the tummy is empty. Usually early in the morning or late at night. I hope this is it..an easy fix! One note on the rice cakes..get the unsalted ones..

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
My daughters vet..mine too..:D..said if its yellow. It's because the tummy is empty. Usually early in the morning or late at night. I hope this is it..an easy fix! One note on the rice cakes..get the unsalted ones..
i never new that. Wilson tossed a cookie shortly after I got home and it was yellow. Now I know why. :up:

Was I wrong on Piamich, was it Jack Daniels I was thinking of?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.