Peeing in rebellion? Or for attention?

BoneHat

Jan 2, 2012
Los Angeles (Glendale)
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergie
Hi All,

New to the site and this is my first post and of course I have to start with a concern on peeing behavior. Here goes:

I've spend a lot of time with Fergie and of course she loves it. However, some days I have appointments or things to take care of where she has to stay home alone. There have been only a handful of times that she has wet her bed and usually I find that it is circumstantial (i.e., she has done it when I leave home shortly after I arrive and don't play with her or walk her b/c I'm pressed for time. I'll come home to discover she has wet her bed or in the a.m. next day). So, my concern really is about this being a behavioral problem. Does anyone else find that their beloved bullie acts out this way when they don't get the attention they seek sometimes? Is this normal behavior? It happens if she doesn't get something she wants also. E.g., I let her spend the night in bed with me on my birthday and the following night she slept in her bed. That following night she wet her bed. I'm pretty sure it was b/c she was expecting to sleep in my bed again.

Again, she does not wet her bed at all and when she has it usually involves me not spending time with her in some way or form. I have had the vet check her out for infection or some other congenital urethra problem but she is good health wise. I find it strange that she does this b/c my concern is if one day I have to go away for a few days and leave her with family, I don't want to burden them with her rebellious attention seeking peeing. I have heard from some people that leaving a shirt with my scent may help. She does not wet her bed when the cover is washed or any other time. The only correlation I've been able to make is that she wants attention or is not happy about something not going her way.

Anyone have a similar experience?

C

Cooper11

Coop would pee in his kennel randomly when he was a pup...how old is your bully??? I am sure she will grow out of it. Just make sure you are letting her out right before you leave and maybe hold back on the water if you know you will be leaving. Don't not give her any but just don't let her drink as mcuh

OP
BoneHat

BoneHat

Jan 2, 2012
Los Angeles (Glendale)
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergie
Fergie's 4 yo and potty trained. She never has accidents and lets me know when its time to go anywhere we are. Her peeing is deliberate and intentional. She has one of these episodes at least once a month though. I mean, I gotta take care of stuff sometimes ya know?

But, I can't be upset with her when it happens b/c I have a hand in it. She's just being her. But, I would like to know if its normal for the breed or dogs in general. I did peruse another post and discovered that it may be b/c some bullies poop when they don't get their way.

I can't stay angry when she gives me the face...you know the one.

photo4.jpg

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
As Cooper said we need a little more information. How old is she being the first thing. How long has she lived with you.
Is she peeing in bed after ample opportunity to go outside, or after an extended time (hours?) being crated. Has she ever gone out, then within a few minutes of coming in peed?

We had issues with Gracie when she first arrived here even though she was 3 1/2 and potty trained. Some of her "accidents" seemed almost intentional, but if anything were likely fear based (because she is terribly afraid of outside). But after she settled in and got comfortable that this was home it stopped and she hasn't had "an accident" in well over
a year.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm certainly not a behavioral expert...but if she's healthy and 4 years old...she's mad at you! I'm not sure how to correct it..but I would bet she's retaliating! Hang in there someone will be here to help you!

:welcome: by the way! Happy to meet you!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I'm certainly not a behavioral expert...but if she's healthy and 4 years old...she's mad at you! I'm not sure how to correct it..but I would bet she's retaliating! Hang in there someone will be here to help you!

:welcome: by the way! Happy to meet you!

Hang yeah she's mad at you girly, LOL lucky she's not chewing stuff up too. :cursing:

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Yes experience that myself as you know. Not fun! I'm sure someone will have advise for you. Like I said I had a dog before Tess that was rebellion to and he was a German Shepard. It was like they were telling you take that for not responding to me 😏

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

C

Cooper11

I couldn't get mad at that cute face either!!!! Well she is a girl that gets whats she wants and does what she wants.......What the problem here :blink:
:)

C

Cooper11

O and my brussells Griffen would poop every time I left the house! So yes pee is better than poop. He not only would poop but he would run in it and everything . He did it in the kennel and it was so gross so I locked him in the laundry room when we first moved to our house....thought well if he poops then it won't be all over like it is in the kennel..BIG Mistake me 7 months prego come home to a dog that is no longer in the laundry room but upstairs and I walk down to investigate and I had closed the door and put a fence in front of it because the previous owners had a doggie door on the door! He tore the doggie door off and chewed through the gate and left me a nice big mess of poop all over my laundry room....I about killed him. Seriously!!!

So I learned to let him roam free in the house and that solved the problem! :) for the most part anyway!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Yea I had this issue when Brutus was a puppy he would do that and I eventually took out his bedding and blankets and for 1 week he had nothing! Once I put it all back it never happend again! MAybe luck thats what hubby said! He knows its more comfy with 4 blankets 4 toys and a bed come on who wouldnt want that lol! GOod luck with this hope it all works out! Yea there is no way you could get mad at her! Look at her...Do you have a cat that maybe is peeing and blaming it on her!:LOL:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Fergie's 4 yo and potty trained. She never has accidents and lets me know when its time to go anywhere we are. Her peeing is deliberate and intentional. She has one of these episodes at least once a month though. I mean, I gotta take care of stuff sometimes ya know?

But, I can't be upset with her when it happens b/c I have a hand in it. She's just being her. But, I would like to know if its normal for the breed or dogs in general. I did peruse another post and discovered that it may be b/c some bullies poop when they don't get their way.

I can't stay angry when she gives me the face...you know the one.

OMG -- she is gorgeous! Welcome to the site and the wonderful world of bulldogs!!

OP
BoneHat

BoneHat

Jan 2, 2012
Los Angeles (Glendale)
Bulldog(s) Names
Fergie
Thanks everyone for your replies. Funny to hear everyone has had a similar experience. She has a doggy door and like I said, never really has accidents b/c she's really good. I think what happens is when I give her an inch she runs a mile. Like allowing her on the couch or on the bed. She comes to expect things I allow or give her and it becomes the norm immediately. And if I don't give them to her again as she expects, poor thing pees her bed and the only one that loses is her!

I have taken her bed away before (she SOAKS it with pee, I have to wash the cover and let it dry and treat it) but have a smaller not so fluffy and comfy backup that she doesn't care for much.

[MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] - funny you mention removing the bed and blanket for a week. When I do take away her bed she has her backup but one time she wet the backup right after her initial episode and had to go with nothing. After this, she went with nothing for 1 day and night and went the longest w/o doing it again afterwards. So, it does help and I do think they appreciate these things for sure!

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Been having the same kind of problem with Uni. She used to sleep in her bed in the kennel through the night, but when we moved to a new house we let her sleep in our bed for a couple of nights because we had not moved her kennel. Ever sense then, she will go to bed in her kennel but she wants to get in our bed at the first light in the morning. Well I tried to resist the whining and her banging the cage at 5:eek:o am. And I did but then she started to pee in the kennel!!! So after like a week of washing her bed every day I we want back to have a bullie in the bed. My BF doesn't like her in the bed, and I don't really love it either, she's a bed hog! So what to do now?? Oh and the first time we left her in the new house for a while she pee'ed on the couch too, part of the couch she thinks is her bed, she only did it the one time, we left her for like 20 mins and she had just been outside before so I don't think it was because she had to go, I think it was because she was mad. I hope you guys are right I hope she grows out of this....

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
@ChanelnBrutus - funny you mention removing the bed and blanket for a week. When I do take away her bed she has her backup but one time she wet the backup right after her initial episode and had to go with nothing. After this, she went with nothing for 1 day and night and went the longest w/o doing it again afterwards. So, it does help and I do think they appreciate these things for sure![/QUOTE]

OMG Brutus would sometimes look at me while he was peeing in his crate with all his blankets...After a couple times I said you know lets see what happens if I take it out! I did for 1 week and he was upset and I was upset that he might not be comfy but it ended up working! Also when he was a baby I would make sure that I fed him in the cage and gave him water in their to avoid it! THey are just gonna do what they want I think sometimes lol Good LUck and hope it all works out....keep me posted

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Alot of good advice! It's definitely not a regular thing, pretty rare, but Samson has pottyed in the house and I KNOW it is him being rebellious/seeking attention.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.