Troubles with training.

Rockybow

Mar 12, 2012
Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
my rocky is a english bulldog he will be 2 years old on st.patricks day!... He is still not fully obedience trained he is a very stubborn boy!. We have. Hard time with him and trying to dominate other ppl when they come into the house, nothing we do makes him stop and our friends have become either afraid of him or don't want to come over. He is not fully out of hand he don't bite or try to eat them lol.. But he does jump and he will protect our kids if he does not know the person around them by backing them into a corner showing his teeth and nipping if he has to.. He also try's to dominate me often. I still can not sit on the floor with out him biting at me or trying to sit on me. Once I give him attention he will not stop he will jump and growl and bite until I pet him again I end up haing to lock him in my room to get him to stop biting at me and whatnot... Oh please he is a dog from hell sometimes,, I NEED help. He is sooo gental with the kids just not with adults haha

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It is a dominance thing, he thinks he rules the house. There are several ways to control this. You may want to get Cesar Millan's book on dog training, or take him to a professional trainer. You have to become the alpha in the pack and make him see he is not. Another way is the "you have to earn everything" way. I have not used this, but several peeps on here do and have had success with it. I do Cesar's way most of the time. Just be consistant with which ever way you decide to train.

OP
R

Rockybow

Mar 12, 2012
Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Okay... I tried to get someone to help me train him before but I guess around me ppl are not familiar with bulldogs and said they do not know how to train them. And I had one lady say she wanted to train him with cheese and hot dogs! And I really do not think that is a great idea! So I just tried myself.. I can get him to listen better after I held him down and told him no pet him and said good boy. But then he returns to the same bad boy. He is the same out in the yard he gets to hyper and we can not control him and his biting and jumping on you. He is a big boy he over powers me for sure. I have a prong collar for him I am going to have to let him wear it all the time and see if that helps

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas does not show his teeth or growl, he just humps everyone that comes in the door. He is almost 3 and has been neutered since before he was one. It is a dominence thing, What I have to do it "put him down" on his side until he submits, sometimes this works and other times he will just go right back to humping. :eek: I have tried for almost 3 years to stop this behavior, but he still will get one in once in a while.

OP
R

Rockybow

Mar 12, 2012
Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
That is a lot like rocky!.. He just wants to hump legs! He was neutered as a baby I almost regret it now I dunno if that would make a difference lol... Yes I do that I flip him upside down. But he still when ppl come in he goes at them.. Some ppl he does and some ppl he does not its strange. The one guy that comes here I know rocky just does not like him and I don't think that will ever change. But he just does not give up on the ppl he wants to "dominate" I feel so bad for the ppl who come over then I feel bad for putting him in my room when they are he because he just won't leave them alone.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ok, he needs you to be firmer and the leader. Put a leash on him when company comes over and tether him to something that he can not pull off of. Get a spray bottle fill it with water and every time he does ANYTHING you do not see as appropriate squirt him right in the face with a firm NO.. not a scream. Work with him using a treat you approve of place him in a sit and then tell him to stay, if he move squirt him.

This will take weeks and you and every one in the house need to be on the same page. Locking him in a room is going to make it worse and petting him is telling him that the behavior is acceptable. Also, this is dog behavior not specific to a bulldog breed.

Here is a book that will help.. get it on audio so you can get through it faster -- 'the other end of the leash'

Good luck and keep us posted.

OP
R

Rockybow

Mar 12, 2012
Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Thank you! I will for sure give that I try. I was always worried spraying him would scare him from water! I will have to get a water bottle. Would it be best for a harnes for him I noticed bulldogs wear them I am not to sure if that is better then the collar he has it's a prong one.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you! I will for sure give that I try. I was always worried spraying him would scare him from water! I will have to get a water bottle. Would it be best for a harnes for him I noticed bulldogs wear them I am not to sure if that is better then the collar he has it's a prong one.

Most use harness because of the bullies having small trachea which can be crushed easily. The puppy will become aware of the water bottle, but not that it is water - should not be any impact, if anything he may begin to see it as a toy, which my girl Banks did (UGH!); however it still works with her and she is 6. Prong collars do a really good job in relation to making correction when walking and/or jumping, but not- in my opinion, I would not use it on a bulldog use to what I stated above.

OP
R

Rockybow

Mar 12, 2012
Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
imagejpeg

That is rocky doing pretty much what he wants! Since I had the new baby he was worse!.. He is mostly only agressive with me I think maybe it was because he as mad at me for the baby. But I do plan to correct the problem. I want to be able to take him places again!And I will get a pray bottle and a harness to see if that is better for him

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Not sure why but I just can't do the water bottle or prong collar thing. Following Ceasers methods all that seems so wrong ad unnecessary. Have you taken a calm assertive approach with a leash to correct the unwanted behavior? Practice over and over with planned door visits to break the bad behavior down and confirm you are the pack leader.

OP
R

Rockybow

Mar 12, 2012
Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
I have tried many of things in the past year! He does not listen at all to me .. He really listenes the most to my 3 year old daughter sadly... he does listen and a pretty good dog in other places of life just not the visitor or the playing outside part. If we take him out however he is pretty good he is gental and tries not to jump but gets excited he just thinks he is truly the runner of the home

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
It is a dominance thing, he thinks he rules the house. There are several ways to control this. You may want to get Cesar Millan's book on dog training, or take him to a professional trainer. You have to become the alpha in the pack and make him see he is not. Another way is the "you have to earn everything" way. I have not used this, but several peeps on here do and have had success with it. I do Cesar's way most of the time. Just be consistant with which ever way you decide to train.

David is right. Spot on.

The Dog Whisperer's season opener this year on Nat Geo describes an English Bulldog JUST AS YOU HAVE. He's dominant and ruled his people. He was obsessive with the door and a bit to assertive (even aggressive) with visitors. This is not an easy fix. But it's possible with much commitment.

Watch that video and then go learn everything you can about being a pack leader to your controlling bully. This scenario is typical of the dogs we see at rescue. Don't let your Rocky become a statistic! Please look to this board for support. The problem is you - not your dog: and i mean that in the most loving way possible! Ask anyone! :lol:

OP
R

Rockybow

Mar 12, 2012
Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocky
Yes this is all very true I do beleive it to be my fault as i baby him to much!.. I have started to watch the clip with the bulldogs and the dog whisper and i am happy to say rocky in NOT like that at all!.. he is only seen him like that once when someone rushed to fast to my daughter. But I still plan to watch it all get pointers and work really hard on making him even more lovable to everyone.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.