How much how often to feed?

stoonley

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
I'm feeding Wellness, puppy brand and it doesn't give any indication on how much to feed. I was told by the breeder to feed 3-4 times a day, but how much per serving??

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I fed Brutus 3x a day 1 3/4 cup am lunchtime dinnertime! At 6months he went to 2 x a day 2 cups am 2 cups pm he is 9 months now! I know a lot of peope recommened adult food for them as its better for them proetin wise b/c our bulllies take longer to grow! I am not familiar with wellness but I do know most bullies have some type of allergy like rice and chicken being the most commen but what works for one doesnt work for others! You can also go to the nutritien forum and search the food recomendations based on star rating which gave me the info for changing Brutus's food and I am so happy I listened to my friends here! Let me know if you need anything else!

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
[MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] : wow we feed much less to our bullies, on the advice of the vet, and he still says they could lose a few even though i can feel their ribs and they have a tuck. i use orijen, and i know it has more calories, but i feed them 2 cups a day am and supper. i hope it's enough!

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
clarification: 1 cup at each meal, ivy a little less because she is tinier.

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
OMG...just read orijen's website...looks like i am feeding the way to little!! good lord.

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
OMG...just read orijen's website...looks like i am feeding the way to little!! good lord.

Hey! He is only 9 months and he is a pig! He was eating a lot more during the time I was giving him puppy food as he was pooping more! Now with the Fromm the bag says 2x a day 1 3/4 cup 2x but its not enough for him he likes his food! lol Oh thats okay just start increasing little bit more into each meal! Lol ur funny

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
i feel bad:*( well, they are going to get a little bit extra tonight! god, maybe that's why ivy had those head tremors--her blood sugar too low!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i understood that if you have a breed that has low energy, you should feed less than the recommended amount on the bag. maybe even up to half the amount that it says, so you are probably alright. but a puppy should be allowed to eat as much as she wants during every meal

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes I totally agree if your dog is lazy and not very active you wouldnt feed as much! Brutus doesnt stop all day he is very high energy so he needs it! lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If you are doing 3 or 4 small meals... 1/2 or 3/4 cup. but the puppy experts can give better advice [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
How old is the pup? at least 3 meals a day unless he is very young then 4 times a day and the amount depends on how old and how big the pup is.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Well, if your puppy is very young like 8 weeks old, the food should still be made moist with warm water, If your puppy is 10 or 11 weeks old, a little more on the dry side. If your puppy is 12 weeks old dry is ok. 3 to 4 smaller meals a day in the beginning. If your pup is "big bone", they need around
3/4 cup a feeding. We should know how old your pup is, and pictures will help too

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
With Kain @ 14 weeks we are doing a heaping 1/3 cup so about 1 1/4 cups for the day. When I read these posts I feel I'm under feeding, I will be doing 2 cups a day in the future but not sure brand yet. Btw he is 22 lbs @ 14 weeks or so. Is that about right?

Most Reactions