Help! I love them both...

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I used to be anti dog wiener too....always had girls.

As for the pup, I say choose the one with the energy that most matches yours. :D

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps

I think............your wife is going to miss you,,,, but,I would take the male

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
I like the male even though i have 2 females. Perhaps you could let the pups decide. Which ones seems to like you best? Amy was all over my husband when we met her.

C

Cooper11

I like males too.....but i think that little male is WAY Cute. The female is cute too....but I really like him! Either way you will fall in love!

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I'm partial to boys, but I think the female is cuter!

OP
D

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
i'm anti-dog weiner so i prefer girls, but really you should get each of them alone in a room and see how they react to you and your wife separately. one might just come and sit contently right next to your leg and peer up so attentively and thats the one you want :) good luck, they are both sweet pups

The female climbed up in my wife's lap and basically just fell asleep! It was really sweet. The male just kep playing and rolling on his back and pulling at shirts and pants! lol

OP
D

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
My wife went with me, however she is not a fan of bulldogs. So she is very neutral in this whole thing. She knows how bad I have wanted one so she just says whatever you want!

OP
D

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
Luckily I do not have to make an immediate dicision. Still another week before they can come home anyway.

My next question, even though I really don't have an answer to the first one...lol, is what should i do to prepare for the arrival.

I already have a crate that is perfect size, but what else should I be doing.

Chew Toys - Which Ones?
Food and Water Bowls - Stainless Steel I assume?
Food - Breeder has them on Blue Buffalo - The fish formula one, but she is talking about switching all of her animals to Taste of the Wild - which I have been looking at. I have also been reading about Earthborn.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
My wife went with me, however she is not a fan of bulldogs. So she is very neutral in this whole thing. She knows how bad I have wanted one so she just says whatever you want!

There's your answer! She said you could have whatever you want. You want both!! :D

Personally, I'd take the girl. Girls are easier ;)

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
their heads, bodies and noses rope are similar so conformation wise it looks like a wash. Cesar Millan says when picking out a puppy pick the calm submissive one. The male you say is mischievous so he may be harder to train but his brindle coat is gorgeous. Since they are both similar you should go back and observe them when they play and pick the calm submissive one. just my opinion though

+1 exactly what I was going to say as well, Great advice!

I've always went with female dogs so I told myself I was going for a male bulldog for sure.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I love boys, I would go with the boy if thats what you originally wanted. And yes definitely stainless steel, these english bulldogs are messy eaters! Chew toys also tend not to last long, but the stuffed animals with a plastic bottle in it instead of stuffing are awesome, you can just change the bottle as needed. And Gio also loves to chew on rubber frisbees (the Kong one is awesome!).

Keep us posted when you decide! Either way you are gonna be in love with which ever one you choose!

C

Cooper11

Well coop was the wild naghty one when he was a baby...he would bite like no other and now at 7 months he is the chillest dog I have ever had! So don't let that scare you away. Gracie was the more chill one when she was a baby and slept all the time, but now she is a little ball of spunk! But she has a awesome personality!!!! You will know when you know!

Crate, pee pee pads if yo are going that route ( I never used them) toys, nylabones, carpet cleaner/disinfectant :) she/he will have accidents. Get him a blanket or something for inside his crate....go to petco or whatever pet store you have there and go Crazy!!! You will constantly be buying stuff for your bully believe me!!!! Yes stainless steel bowls! collar, leash

Last edited:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I think the boy has great coloring! But you say the girl is sweet. So you already know they won't stay little and puppy-cute. I know it's hard to see the future but try to imagine a boisterous male that might be hard to keep in control but probably smarter because of his curiosity and then a more calm submissive female who will lay on the couch next to you with her head on your lap. How much of yourself are you willing to put into training your new baby? Females have heats. Will you and your spouse be willing to deal with the maintenance of that plus the wrinkle cleaning and the bootie cleaning? Is the tail easy to clean around? Both sexes can be stubborn so that is a given.

I'm not one to talk though. I went to pick up my male and came home with him and his sister! Guess what? My husband didn't leave me! Well, uh he couldn't have anyway. He was in a rented hospital bed in our home as he had just had foot surgery. Ha! But he never objected and became extremely attached to the female and had her on his lap all the time and even sang to her (but he'll never admit it). Good Luck!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
That's such a hard choice, they're both beautiful! I've always been partial to males too and have only had makes for many years, until this past January. I too as torn between two pups, one male and one female. But deep in my heart I knew I really wanted a female this time and home came Emma. Our other guy is a male and he's just over a year now. Both sexes are. Sry different on their personalities. Go with what your heart says, deep down you may already know which on you want. They're both so so cute!!! Good luck!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.