Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going for walks!

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Angus and Eddie
    Likes (Received)

Default Going for walks!

Angus doesn't like to go for walks!! ...I usually take him out in the morning, but once he goes to the bathroom he won't walk!! He just sits there and keeps looking back wanting to go home! He's a stubborn . At night he does a little better, but have to pull and tug until he finally decides to walk. Does anyone have a similar problem? How much walking is recommended for a bully?? I just want him to walk on his own one time a day without having to stop and pull on him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -424362_402677663079950_100000131588241_1757422_733405166_n-jpg  

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Going for walks!

Maybe take along a favorite toy or treat to motivate him to keep moving? Boy he looks stubborn, that looks like a mad face...but he sure is cute too!

Bulldog(s) Names
    jameson and titan
    Likes (Received)

jameson is the worst!!! he goes out and he pulls where he wants to go to the bathroom...but i make him go to the dog walk. then he either stands there and looks around or i start to walk and he does the stop and pull because he wants to just sit there. he is horrible...he wants to wait to see if any dogs come out to see him...i have to shove treats in my pocket to get him to walk at all. then occassionally we have a day where he just walks and walks and walks and then he doesnt' want to stop. i can't win

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Angus and Eddie
    Likes (Received)

I take treats but I only give him some when he goes to the bathroom. I guess I'm going to start giving him some more to motivate him. He's also extremely nosy!! He has to stop every time some one walks by and every time he hears a noise.

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Do you know anybody with a dog that Angus could walk with? Maybe if he had a good example he could do it?

My Bully Gave Me Wings Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Bev
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I walk Roxy and Abby together. Problem is, as soon as Abby is finished she thinks we need to go home. She doesn't care that Roxy hasn't even gotten started yet lol Abby is pulling towards home, Roxy is pulling toward down the street... I'm stuck in the middle.

One day when she was trying to bully us I picked up a stick and scratched it on the sidewalk. The sound caught her attention and jumped on it. She carried that stick for our whole walk. I guess the moral of that little story is that distraction really works well.

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Angus and Eddie
    Likes (Received)

@MamaAndi yes he has a pug as a walking partner only on Sundays! He seems to do ok, but he seems to be more into the human walking the dog lol.

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tom Fraley
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarge and LuLu
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Gunny used to like to walk but not anymore we have 3 acres and he will take his time and follow me out in the pasture, then he will find a tree to sit under and just look around I sure wish I could read his mind.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruggles and Buster
    Likes (Received)

Could Angus have tender feet? Maybe try walking at a park, on grass to see if he is more interested, and yes, having a buddy to walk with may keep him moving. My boys both love their walk.

Cooper11

I was just talking to my mom about this. I am scared to take Coop for a walk because if he decides he has had enough I don't think I wold be able to carry his big butt back home!

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

Brutus loves going for walks! My cousins Mia girl hates going for a walk heck she hates walking to the backyard to go potty! LOL Brutus would be even more misbehaved if he didnt have 2 walks a day!
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Bea likes to walk now - but as a puppy it was a struggle. Treats, a squeaky toy worked. What really motivates her is chasing a long branch. She's got an insane prey drive so when I need to get her somewhere fast, I find something to drag in front of her.

Bo loves to walk so taking the two of them together, is a daily challenge but I do it. The walk is my daily opportunity to show leadership.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads