Going for walks!

elyrig

Feb 16, 2012
SO-CAL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus and Eddie
Angus doesn't like to go for walks!! :nope:...I usually take him out in the morning, but once he goes to the bathroom he won't walk!! He just sits there and keeps looking back wanting to go home! He's a stubborn :bully:. At night he does a little better, but have to pull and tug until he finally decides to walk. Does anyone have a similar problem? How much walking is recommended for a bully?? I just want him to walk on his own one time a day without having to stop and pull on him.

Attachments

• 424362_402677663079950_100000131588241_1757422_733405166_n.jpg
    424362_402677663079950_100000131588241_1757422_733405166_n.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 51

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Maybe take along a favorite toy or treat to motivate him to keep moving? Boy he looks stubborn, that looks like a mad face...but he sure is cute too! :)

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
jameson is the worst!!! he goes out and he pulls where he wants to go to the bathroom...but i make him go to the dog walk. then he either stands there and looks around or i start to walk and he does the stop and pull because he wants to just sit there. he is horrible...he wants to wait to see if any dogs come out to see him...i have to shove treats in my pocket to get him to walk at all. then occassionally we have a day where he just walks and walks and walks and then he doesnt' want to stop. i can't win

OP
elyrig

elyrig

Feb 16, 2012
SO-CAL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus and Eddie
I take treats but I only give him some when he goes to the bathroom. I guess I'm going to start giving him some more to motivate him. He's also extremely nosy!! He has to stop every time some one walks by and every time he hears a noise.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Do you know anybody with a dog that Angus could walk with? Maybe if he had a good example he could do it? :)

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I walk Roxy and Abby together. Problem is, as soon as Abby is finished she thinks we need to go home. She doesn't care that Roxy hasn't even gotten started yet lol Abby is pulling towards home, Roxy is pulling toward down the street... I'm stuck in the middle.

One day when she was trying to bully us I picked up a stick and scratched it on the sidewalk. The sound caught her attention and jumped on it. She carried that stick for our whole walk. I guess the moral of that little story is that distraction really works well.

OP
elyrig

elyrig

Feb 16, 2012
SO-CAL
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Angus and Eddie
[MENTION=3756]MamaAndi[/MENTION] yes he has a pug as a walking partner only on Sundays! He seems to do ok, but he seems to be more into the human walking the dog lol.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Gunny used to like to walk but not anymore we have 3 acres and he will take his time and follow me out in the pasture, then he will find a tree to sit under and just look around I sure wish I could read his mind.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Could Angus have tender feet? Maybe try walking at a park, on grass to see if he is more interested, and yes, having a buddy to walk with may keep him moving. My boys both love their walk.

C

Cooper11

I was just talking to my mom about this. I am scared to take Coop for a walk because if he decides he has had enough I don't think I wold be able to carry his big butt back home!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Brutus loves going for walks! My cousins Mia girl hates going for a walk heck she hates walking to the backyard to go potty! LOL Brutus would be even more misbehaved if he didnt have 2 walks a day!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea likes to walk now - but as a puppy it was a struggle. Treats, a squeaky toy worked. What really motivates her is chasing a long branch. She's got an insane prey drive so when I need to get her somewhere fast, I find something to drag in front of her.

Bo loves to walk so taking the two of them together, is a daily challenge but I do it. The walk is my daily opportunity to show leadership.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Kain was also trouble walking at 10-12 weeks, slammed on the brakes and wanted to go home. It was cold also so that didn't help.

I used clicker training also on the walk so when he walks beside me and a little back (never ahead of me) I would randomly reward him. Leaving the house is still a struggle but we can walk a full 4 or 5 blocks with minimal issue now.

I walk he has to follow, I try not pull but walk with calm assertiveness and expect him to follow, every once and awhile he tugs back and I end up jerking him back in the groove. Worst part sometimes he tries to poop and when I keep him moving I don't realize he's trying to go to the bathroom but I have to stay positive and move forward.

He's pretty awesome now but still wants to stop now and then.

Lastly if he pulls... Change direction and make sure he follows you. Your the leader so he has to obey! Good luck...

I'd say 1 week and we made huge progress!

hoopdid

Nov 27, 2011
Pensacola, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Jaeger
Jaeger still fights me when I take him for walks. I use his treats, but he will move to me, grab the treat and refuse to move again till I offer up another treat, lol. One thing he does is once we turn around to head home, he will run the entire way. Goofy dog is all I have to say.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Never an issue.... they all love to go on walks

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online