Question about pedigree...

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
I understand that at some point in the pedigree, way way back there may have been some form of inbreeding, but would a responsible breeder have any reason to inbreed only one generation apart?

I looked up a very well respected breeder in the area, who is very active in the BD community as well as a member of the AKC and BCA. They have some gorgeous dogs and puppies and I had asked for a recommendation based on some characteristics I provided. The puppy that was recommended had a mother who was the granddaughter of the father.

This just seems very wrong to me, but I would like to know if this is a normal practice and what the possible reasoning would be behind it?

Thank you all,

P.S.

The puppy I was getting from the other breeder was sold about an hour before I could get there! So I am on the hunt again.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I don't quite understand all the ins and outs, but apparently some breeders purposely do what they call line breeding. To try to improve certain characteristics. So perhaps that's what they were doing. Search the term line breeding. I know we had a thread about it not long ago.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Granddaughter of the father, OK,,, daughter of the father, not so much ;) It is line breeding as far as I know but [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] knows all about such stuff as he breeds beautiful bullies.

OP
D

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
Ok, just seemed so odd so close in relation..thats why I asked, I will look it up.

This dosnt effect the health? I mean I understand that u r trying to increase the positive traits, but cant it cause genetic issues also?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I honestly don't know enough about dogs to voice an opinion.... now FISH......that I know a little more about. LOL

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I honestly don't know enough about dogs to voice an opinion.... now FISH......that I know a little more about. LOL

Do fish have pedigrees too????

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hello, yes that would be line breedingM many breeders do line breeding and inbreeding. As previous, two or three generations is MUCH better that one, but still it is better to not. INBREEDING is FAR worse in my opinion. I will never inbreed and only 5 generations away on line breeding. Its like the term six degrees of separation, it kinnda hard past 5 or 6 to have no one in common. Having breed Arabian horses for over 25 years has taught me lots that is similar to EBD, Good Day

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Father to Daughter is in-breeding and in my opinion should not be done. Daughter to grandfather or uncle to niece is line-breeding and is very common. I have some bullies from line-breeding, and do sometimes breed this way. The benefit of line-breeding is the production of more consistent litters. If you search it on the web you can get a better explanation.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Ok, just seemed so odd so close in relation..thats why I asked, I will look it up.

This dosnt effect the health? I mean I understand that u r trying to increase the positive traits, but cant it cause genetic issues also?

That is the problem. Dogs do have those bad genes too and the negative traits can be increased just as the positive. I've read from somewhere that there should be at least 4 generations in between.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] Most responsible breeders, will try to breed out the bad traits, or will not breed one that does have a bad gene when they know about it. This is what everyone should do. But unfortunately most people out there just breed for money and will breed anything, and this is why we get so many bullies with so many health problems. We had a beautiful girl we were going to breed but as she got a little older her lower jaw was growing a little crooked. Our vet said he didn't think she would pass it on, but could not guaranty it, so we had her spayed and found her a good pet home. When breeding you have to watch your litters and pay close attention to the pedigree your are breeding with, plus do you research on that pedigree before using it. We always try to better the breed and this is what most responsible breeders will do.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
We were planning on breeding Brutus but when he had a prolasped urethra we did a lot of research and hadnt found anything proving it was genetic...To be safe since I couldnt guarantee it wouldnt pass to others we decided to neutuer him to prevent this from happenining and also informed the breeder..>good breeders dont breed just for money they want to better the breed ...

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
All true statements, but to strive for the perfect standard for show and the good traits in the breed, line-breeding is ok. Not in-breeding like some have already said. Will you get freaks, probably not. On the other hand, you can get a sick dog even if they are not in the same line., yes bad traits will be passed along with the practice of line breeding, that is why you never want to breed a dog that isn't healthy. Hips, eyes, heart, things of those nature.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] but what about genes that they don't know? Or when the gene is hidden and you need to get it from both lines to get affected? There are really horrific conditions that can already kill the whole litter.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] There is always that chance of something you did not see or know about, that can come up. I have never seen it "kill" as you put it, the whole litter. Yes things can appear when the conditions are just right with the genetic makeup of a sire and dam that may appear. But we strive to not have this happen. That is why we choose our mates carefully. When you know the pedigree and the off spring, and I'm talking going back 4 and 5 generations, you pretty much know what you will end up with. Nothing in breeding is a guaranty, but we try to do the best we can.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] I'm sure you do the best you can. That is not the question. I just disagree, I think the risks outweigh the benefits and I know of whole litter being killed one by one in the first month after birth.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.