Crate training help!!!!!!!!!!

englishbulldogLA

Dec 7, 2011
Louisiana
Bulldog(s) Names
Smash
hey im trying to house train my puppy he is 8 weeks old and this is my first bulldog puppy so im trying to crate train him but he just cries and barks when i put him into his crate at night and i eventually just let him out and the next morning he has destroyed the whole living room. what am i doing wrong someone please help please

Attachments

• IMG_0643.jpg
    IMG_0643.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 121

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
awwww what a cute baby!!! i think you should put the crate in your room and put your hand in to calm him down when he whines. we got lola when she was 11 weeks and she was kind of already used to being crated, albeit with her siblings, so she went in no probelm. you can also fill a kong with peanut butter or cream cheese and that should keep him occupado for at least 1/2 hour. and make sure he is TUCKERED OUT when he goes in. and then stay strong and hope the neighbors are kind :) :) :) more pics of puppy please!

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I switched kernels from a pen tonight. Used my clicker training to teach lay down and stay in the new pen and it went great. I believe you have to get him tired and let him cry it out. Through the day try reinforce positive stuff with the crate, ice cub treat, kong etc "only" in the crate. Never for punishment.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
We had a hard time in the beginning as well with Brutus! He will cry at night b/c he wants to be with you but he will soon realize that the crate is his kingdom! Never use the crate for punishment and encourage him to go in with treats, toys, blankets, etc...It will take some time but dont give up lol I gave up about 50 times :lol: Dont leave him unattented b/c these bullies are very curious and get into not only trouble but could get hurt! Hope all goes well! Good Luck and keep us posted

I

ImAGuinneyPig

I know it is hard to listen to him whine and cry, but you can't give in. You have to leave him in the crate. Not only will it become his little cave, but it is for his safety. You can't leave an 8 week old puppy alone overnight unattended. He could seriously injure himself.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Oh My God... LOVE HIM!! What kind of dog is your other one? It looks like a fraggle :)

Abby didn't like the cage when I first brought her home either. I gated off the kitchen so she couldn't hurt herself and put blankets, treats and toys in the cage and left the door open. I didn't put her in it, I let her go in on her own. After a couple of days she was fine.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I have a great way of crate training and will respond more in depth later today/tonight (gotta get to work now). It really works too and I'm on my 3rd puppy in less than a year. :up:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Hi again,

Ok, like I said earlier, I'm on my third puppy in less than a year. Wilson and Jack (non bully) are just over a year and Emma is 14 weeks. I read quite a few puppy/bully books and they had some great ideas that really worked well for me. It was 30 years since I had a puppy so I was quite rusty at it and now I feel like a pro, in my own mind that is.

For crate training: Always make it a happy place for them, never a bad place. Quit letting him out at night because he's whining, even if he doesn't stop....he's getting HIS way and that's what he wants!!! Get his crate next to your bed for at night when you're sleeping (this is very important imo). Both Wilson and Emma whined for the first couple of weeks. Here's what you do - get an OPEN wire crate (not a plastic one), cover it with a light weight blanket, put the crate close to your bed in touching distance, and when your little guy starts whining, just reach down and place your hand at the door and your fingers through the openings. They just want reassurance that you're there - it works wonders trust me!! If they continue to whine, it's just like a baby, leave them be they'll be ok and will fall asleep. Emma only whined for a week and now she's good to go. I usually have her up on the bed with us for about 1/2 hour and then when it's sleepy time, in the crate she goes - she's usually asleep at this point too.

Now on potty training, lots of praise is needed!!! If you wake during the middle of the night take your guy outside!! This is very important. Wilson was fantastic at letting us know he needed to go potty - he'd bark in the middle of the night (he trained fast). Emma was another story. I had to take her out at 12-1 to 3-5 am for the first three weeks. Now it's just once a night. :up: She's had several piddle mishaps during the day, but those are usually because WE have not paid attention to getting her out. Always take them out after they get up, they'll only get about 20 steps and then piddle. Always take them out if they've been playing too. We're usually pretty good about getting them out even if they don't appear to need it. They'll always go. Also, and this is really important, give your guy TIME to go, especially for a :poo: Emma gave NO warning during that time when she had to go. Wilson would go to the door to go out (he caught on fast). Now Wilson he's a two-time pooper.....meaning that he'd go once and then when you think that was it, he'd walk around for a bit and :poo: a big one out. Take Jack, he was a two time piddler, still is. And Wilson's still a two-time pooper. Emma, well we're working with her still, lol.

Just accept that you'll be doing lots of laundry for the next few months. :D Heck I have a load in now of their crate beds because Emma piddle this afternoon and then poop on her crate pad. I've just accepted laundry as part of the puppyiess. :luv:

Again, patience will be your BEST FRIEND. :yes:

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
He looks so cuddly, I never crate trained Gunny he was free as the wind all his life did what he wanted when he wanted he went thru the house just a didi boppin on his own, never got into much trouble just chewed the legs off my wifes new amish rocker that didnt go over good but life is short be happy when you can and dont sweat the small stuff everyone gets over it after awhile and if they don"t then they will be mad for a long time. My wife is so used to him and I she just goes along with everything Gunny and I want to do in the house, great lady!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG --- he is beyond cute! :luv: him!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.