Eating Grass?????nd

C

Cooper11

So it has been a crazy warm winter here in Iowa. The snow i gone and we have grass now.....I just let Cooper out to go potty and called for him to come in but he ignored me. His nose was the the ground and i was yelling his name thinking OMG he is eating poop! SO yelled for him again and of course totally ignored ..

so I went outside and there is nothing there. I secretly watch him and he was nose to the ground walking around sniffing the grass and in random places he was eating the grass...I think that is what he was gong anyway. he was puling his up in a motion like he was trying to rip the grass out of the ground. I thought maybe there is rabbit poop out there and he is eating it. SO i searched and saw nothing (i looked 3 times) ....

Should I be concerned he is eating grass and why is he eating it....He is still on bland diet, antibiotic, and 2 other med type things I have to give him....Is he losing it....or is he that hungry you is trying to eat the grass...He had just gotten done eating. Seriously was the weirdest thing i have ever seen and he has never done it before!

EmmittPylate

Feb 17, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Sometimes it means they have a upset tummy that's what I was always told..

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
Gunny would do this when his tummy was upset and would make him throw up to get up what ever was not setting right in his tummy, Im not a vet but I dont think its anything to worry about

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Ruggles is a grass eater, that's how he came to us as a baby! So Mack sees him eating grass and Mack joins in. It gives both of them a loose stool which is messy to clean up. So we keep them away from long grass--mowed, short grass is fine because they don't

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well from what I have read on petmd, and webmd-pets, they say it will not hurt them. Sometimes they eat grass because they are just bored, sometimes they need a little more fiber in their diet, and some times if they have an upset tummy they will gulp grass to help them vomit. They say it will not hurt them. If they do it all the time they may have a medical condition called Pica, it is the technical term for the disorder characterized by eating things that aren’t food. Hope this helps.

OP
C

Cooper11

Well from what I have read on petmd, and webmd-pets, they say it will not hurt them. Sometimes they eat grass because they are just bored, sometimes they need a little more fiber in their diet, and some times if they have an upset tummy they will gulp grass to help them vomit. They say it will not hurt them. If they do it all the time they may have a medical condition called Pica, it is the technical term for the disorder characterized by eating things that aren’t food. Hope this helps.

aaaaa......so your saying Coop has a disorder? :eek:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] Nope.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
My dogs will occasional eat grass, and sometimes in massive quantities. Griz and Peggy eat the most. From all the research I've done on this subject, it's perfectly normal, let them have at it, they know what they are doing. I don't know about that, but, Griz ate so much of it the other week I thought he was going to burst. Big time, It scarred me. It's usually a tummy ache or they just like it sometimes. Not to worry, unless you have treated grass.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
You are SOOOO Lucky, Vegas eats sand!! then he comes in and throws up wet cement!! We live in Florida where our yard is grass or whatever its called and sand. We are going to the vet tomorrow over this issue (and other's). I can ask tomorrow if you want me too.

OP
C

Cooper11

My dogs will occasional eat grass, and sometimes in massive quantities. Griz and Peggy eat the most. From all the research I've done on this subject, it's perfectly normal, let them have at it, they know what they are doing. I don't know about that, but, Griz ate so much of it the other week I thought he was going to burst. Big time, It scarred me. It's usually a tummy ache or they just like it sometimes. Not to worry, unless you have treated grass.

Yes we do have treated grass....right now it hasn't had anything done to it because it is winter. The grass is pretty much dead, I am not even sure if he actually ate any but I know he was trying. I thought maybe it was because the grass was cold and felt it to see if it was semi frozen because today was a little colder but it was frozen just chilled :). I did some searching and found your post from a couple weeks ago so I was happy I wasn't the only one with a Bully who eats the green..at least it is the yard grass and not the other green stuff...I don't think he has been hanging around Banks @2BullyMama don't need another bully having to go to rehab! :(

[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] was joken with ya! :)

[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] yes if you would ask...I guess we should both feel lucky, at least they aren't eating poop and coming in and throwing that up :barf: My sister in laws dog use to do that!

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] I know you were. :tease:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
the only one with a Bully who eats the green..at least it is the yard grass and not the other green stuff...I don't think he has been hanging around Banks @2BullyMama don't need another bully having to go to rehab! :(!

Yo -- back off woman -- Banks is two weeks clean!

OP
C

Cooper11

No not Cooper but his mama :girlwacko:

HAHAHA :laugh:

More like Coops mom Jersey friend......took her 12 hours to become a 4 paw member....its okay though...I still will tell people you are my friend!

Most Reactions