financial planning

sgasz

Mar 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hi everyone! as many of you know i am one of the few that is still in the research phase. No bully yet to claim. I want to be a well prepared momma and was wondering about cost. I started a savings acount and would like to save up for the first six months i have my bully either puppy or rescue. I was thinking about 6000. Does anyone hage any idea of what kind of costs i can plan for and how much?

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
It might be a good idea to call the vet you will use and get prices on cherry eye surgery, entropian, spay, shots, allergy testing. That may give you a better idea of what you will need.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I think there are way too many variables to come up with any reasonable estimate.

C

Cooper11

Girl, I think 6000 would be plenty.....Yes there are chances you could run into health issues but lets not think about that or assume it will happen. I think if you really are thinking of getting a bully then you are willing to spend the hefty amount it takes to purchase one therefore you will/shold have considered vet bills, and pet expenses. I think it is too hard to say save this amount because you will nee this because your bully could get this or that. I think 6000 is actually quite a lot to save up just for a bully! Let just think positive in that you will find a healthy puppy and not have to worry about vet bills, and if by chance you get a bully that needs extra vet attention, you will figure out the expenses and how to get them....we always do. You can plan for every up and downs in life! I can tell you are going to be an awesome bully mommy already! Thinking ahead and wanting to make sure you have everything ready just in case. But don't stress about saving money for the just in case or the what ifs.......Research how much bullies cost in your area, what pet food cost, spading or neutering, normal vet visits like shots or just the random here and there kind of thins, and go from there. Those are the biggies that will be your cost when you first get your bully. I am sure yo living in NY stuff is a little more expensive there than they are here in hickville Iowa :). But don't stress about money. You have already chosen the English Bulldog Breed and you are aware of the health sisks or possible vet bills so you already have an idea that o if this would happen I coul afford this or make payment here and there. If you are some one who lives check to check and struggles then I wold possibly hold off because you are right...you never know when things will come up. But if you are living comfortable and have some spare change at the end of the day in case some expenses would come up I think you are set! It just like owning a car.....cars are expensive and there is always the chance of something breaking down or happening but you can expect or plan for those things to happen you just have to take them as they come! Good luck! Hopefully this makes sense....sometimes I get a rambling and thinking of 20 things and they come out...sometimes not in the best order or jumping here and there lol!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
lol I would say having 6000 puts you in a good spot for having a bully. My Cutty wasnt a cheap purchase but aside from neutering he hasnt cost me anything since. My Miila was a cheap purchase and since I have spent about the same on her as I did Cutty cuz she did have cherry eye and a long pallet along with needing spayed. BUT so far nobody in this house has come near 6000, knock on wood.

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
You might also want to check on the price of pet insurance in your area. We pay ~$40 a month for $250 deductible and 90% coverage.

$6k seems like a good 'nest egg' :)

If you buy from a breeder make sure its reputable... If you do a rescue then anything you spend will come back in Karma :)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
There really is never a way to tell how much you are going to spend! I agree with what [MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] said if you can understand the babble! :ROFL:

C

Cooper11

There really is never a way to tell how much you are going to spend! I agree with what @Cooper11 said if you can understand the babble! :ROFL:

:cursing::cursing: Hey after I read it I am pretty impressed with my babbling.... Sometimes I just have too much to say and can't get it all out! But i think I made some valid points! Just sayen! :picknose:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
You might also want to check on the price of pet insurance in your area. We pay ~$40 a month for $250 deductible and 90% coverage.

$6k seems like a good 'nest egg' :)

If you buy from a breeder make sure its reputable... If you do a rescue then anything you spend will come back in Karma :)

I agree about the insurance! It's not cheap, but worth every penny if there's something wrong! And when you are prepared with insurance usually nothing happens. Then you maybe can buy some nice things for him/her with your money.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It's always a good idea to plan for the worse and hope for the best, even though I usually don't do that. But if you get a little nest egg it will help if something unexpected comes up. The best thing to do if you are getting a puppy is do your homework on the breeder. If you get a good breeder with a good blood line your chances of problems go way down.

OP
S

sgasz

Mar 6, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Thank you all for the support and yes i know 6k seems like alot. I was thinking about all the cost including his bet, crate, electric fence, obedience classes, food really the how kit and kabuddle. :-) did i mention that im also i first time dog owner? I guess i just need to stop being so nervous. And who do you purchase pet insurance through?

C

Cooper11

Thank you all for the support and yes i know 6k seems like alot. I was thinking about all the cost including his bet, crate, electric fence, obedience classes, food really the how kit and kabuddle. :-) did i mention that im also i first time dog owner? I guess i just need to stop being so nervous. And who do you purchase pet insurance through?

Not sure about insurance thing..I'm sure some one will chime in....Wow you first dog huh? Be ready to fall in love! If I knew they were this fun and I would fall this much in love with him..I would have bought a bully years ago....I sit here and regret that I didn't but at least I have my Cooper now! :) Good luck!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.