Neuter at 6 mo will keep puppy features?

thomasgrecojr

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Scotch
Hi - we too Scotch to the vet yesterday to get his eye checke and they told us that we needed to decide when to neuter our boy. They also said that if we do it sooner he will keep more of his puppy features and if we wait to 9 months he will maintain a more adult look. Has anyone heard this before - and what type of features are we talking about? At what age is it best to neuter your baby boy? I thought they would look relatively the same either way as they grow.

Updated pictures...

IMG_1034.jpgIMG_1045.jpgIMG_0971.jpg

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
There are no right answers behind this. It's really up to you. I neutered Bunk at 10 months and he looks like a baby. I have read that neutered dogs actually grow to be bigger than intact because the hormones tell the body when to stop growing, and without them they just go and go. But ask anyone and they will tell you something different.

It's really when you are comfortable, definitely between 6-12 months. Personally I wait until they are close to a year, but that's just my personal opinion.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
He is so cuteeee! I had Brutus neutered at 8 months due to prolapsed urethra... I would have probably waited a little longer before doing surgery b/c I was scared for him to go under at that young of an age...but due to emergency we had to...You will get a lot of great advice on waiting or not waiting! ITs up to you ! Good Luck

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well first let me say your little guys is just too cute. When to neuter has always been a good debate. my vet say to wait until about 18 months. This lets them mature a little more, their chest will widen a little more and their head will get a little bigger. But on the other hand I have seen bullies that have been neutered at the age of 6 months and they look fine, wide chest and big head. So I think it's really up to you. If they are putting him out to fix his eyes, I think I would just let them neuter him at the same time as long as they will not keep him under too long. I would talk to your vet about that to see what he thinks, or how long the eye surgery will take.

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I am a new bully mama but my vet is bully certified. he suggest that after 6 months and before 9 months is a good time frame for neutering. His reasoning is that large dogs needs the testosterone to allow bone growth and strength but if you wait too long they will start marking and hiking and wanting to roam, especially if there are any females around that are in season. I will probably wait till around 7 or 8 months, depending on Tanks mannerism. Continual hiking and territory marking drives me nuts, as well as aggressive behavior. Once these actions begin, i know it will be time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I had both my bullies done before 8 months and they still filled out real nice -- heck, Nitschke's head I think continue to grow until he passed and Banks -- her chest is very big.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Reading Ceaser Millan's "the Perfect Pet" book and his recommendation for "Mr. President" was 6 months, nothing to gain by waiting and no sense dealing with the frustration of marking and attitude that comes with the expense of waiting. I believe I will also be getting Kain done at 6 months.

C

Cooper11

I'm no expert.....but I have never heard of getting your little guy fixed will keep his puppy features......hmmm......but I got Coop fixed he was around 6 months....and he did great!

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
the sex hormones will cause the growth plates on the long bones to fuse together and stop growing as they sexually mature. there is some basis to it that your bulldog can grow bigger if you neuter/spayed your dog early because no sex hormones around means the long bones grow for a longer period of time.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I too have heard all kinds of thoughts on this ... some say wait until a paticular age and some say wait until they reach a weight.

We are going to try and put off having Linus done for as long as we can ... he's almost 5 months now so we will still hold off for a few more months.

OP
thomasgrecojr

thomasgrecojr

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Scotch
Wow - thanks for all of the advice. He is 5 Mo today so I guess we will see how he does over the next 4-6 weeks and make a call then. Just want to make all of the right choices for the little guy!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.