English Bulldog Worries

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Even though English Bulldogs sound like lazy easy dogs...they are pretty high maintenance. If you are wanting a dog that you don't have to do daily grooming to this is not the dog for you. Bullies have a shorter life span but there are bullies that have lived longer like around 12 years. My breeder has had quite a few live that long. As for expensive vet bill. Be ready to pay a hefty amount just to purchase your bully. No on here can tell you that there won't be expensive vet bills. Bullies are know for having some health problems but not all bullies have them. You could get a bully that is perfect and never has any allergies or anything wrong with it and lives a long healthy life. But if you are not wanting an expensive vet bill then I wouldn't get a bully because there are chances he can have something wrong or have to have this and that done and it all adds up. With strangers every bully is different ...my bully get along and lives everyone but you have some who are protective of their family.

I think your concerns about having a bully you should really think about it. Because everything you are afraid of can and might happen and if you are not wanting to deal with any of it i would go with another breed. They are awesome dogs but you just have to really research this breed and a breeder before you jump right in an get a bully! They are like no other breed of dog, they are different, and they are special. Hope this helps my advice is do your research!

as hard as this is..... <sigh> [MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] gave you great information. :D

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
it's true, bulldogs are high maintenance. they are expensive to buy and to keep. they can have a myriad of health problems, and the likelihood of having to deal with one or more of these issues is pretty high. they require daily hygienic maintenance.

moderate exercise, i suppose. my bullies are very active, and if they decide to burn it, you'll never catch them!

friendly? yes, but they definitely do NOT like some people, and i'm not sure why, but i trust their judgement.

friendly with other dogs? ivy is, ollie is a bully and can be aggressive.

worth every moment and every single penny? i'll tell you this...i am filled with gratitude every single day that i am fortunate enough to have these two bully spirits as a part of my family. i love them so much and they bring so much joy and laughter into this house that i just can't believe i have been blessed with them most of the time. i could stare at them and love them all day long, every day (and do, as much as i can). they have changed me, and changed my life.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
New owner here as well, had some of the same concerns. I always wanted one and finally said "Let's do it!"
I drove 18 hrs with 4 hrs sleep in 2 or 3 days to get my dog from a reputable breeder. Was he expensive sure they all are when you buy with papers and from people that know what there doing.

I can tell you this, our last month or so has been changed like you wouldn't belive. I wipe wrinkles, clean tail, clean ears, get used to touching there feet to clip toe nails, etc etc.

My Clicker training and house breaking has been Phenominal to say the least. 2 weeks and he can Sit, Stay, Leave it, Spin, Touch, Down, High 5, Shake a Paw you name it he is a learning machine.

Does he cuddle, <lol> to say he is an affectionate dog is highly an understatement, unbelievable it's like another child. I remind myself to not get overly attached and still treat him like a dog.

Does he snore, <lol> absolutly, but you know what? It's actually relaxing, and a joy to have him snooze in my arms while watching TV. The fact we can go from playing full steam to sleeping full steam in 10 min's is crazy... I've never seen any dog like it.

Head turner, You bet, never seen anyone that doesn't instantly fall in love. I do side photography so he always is willing to pose for the camera.
Check out his albulm here : https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150529764331852.372611.696586851&type=3&l=2ee59c0000

Would I do it over again! Absolutly, I'm actually finding we have to convince the wife NOT to get another one yet because were working 100% on Kain so far and he deserves it.

Hope I don't have any long term health issues, believe me I don't want that but i'm preparing for costs in advance and if they happen they happen, I took that on when I decided to give him a home.

Good Luck! I'm very pleased with my decision, just make the commitment to him to teach, train, love and don't neglect there attention drivin spirits.

OP
B

Blacklite

Dec 18, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Sorry for not replying for while-- things came up.

A lot of insightful and interesting posts. Learned a lot. Quick question however; how often are you guys wiping the wrinkles? Does this depends on the dog? Are there ways to maybe get one with less wrinkles? This is one part that kind of worries me since one day I not have the time to do it, or happen to forget.

Taylor

Jul 10, 2012
Pittsburgh
Bulldog(s) Names
Miss Charlotte Elizabeth
try to get an adult bulldog from a shelter:
1. you're saving his life
2. you will have an idea of what's going on medically if they have his/her history (hereditary issues usually show up before 3-4 years)
5. you'll pay less for the dog, and you can start saving more for your emergency vet bills fund

edit: after your wrinkle question:
with an adult dog you can see how many/how deep his wrinkles are (without worrying about him growing up and them changing)

I wipe Char's once a day, every day.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Everything that the other members have said is true. They are amazing, wonderful, unique individuals and IMO are the best in the world.

HOWEVER, they do not have a long life span and though there are quite a few that can make it to 12 years old, there are many others who do not.

Health issues abound with this breed and you could get lucky and have a very healthy bully with few issues, or you could pay and arm and a leg for the vet. For example, we have two bullies. One is 1.5 years and one will be 2 in September. Our 1.5 yo has only had to go to the vet for a few small issues and her vet bills the time that we have had her have been maybe $400 (and that includes shots). Our male, on the other hand, has had plenty of issues and between eye surgery and back issues, we have spent at least $6,000 and maybe closer to $7,000 in vet bills and expect more to come because of an ongoing problem. If you don't have the money to get insurance or at least sock away for emergencies, don't even think about it!!!

They are a lot more maintenance than you would expect, you do have to clean their wrinkles often and check tail pockets, etc. If you want a dog you can bathe once or twice a month and that is it, this isn't the breed for you.

Their personalities are wonderful and amazing which is why it makes all of the other issues worth it for those of us who have chosen a bulldog to share our lives with. Let us know if you decide to go for it! You are doing your research which is the perfect first step.

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
You know.....I was thinking that if you don't mind shedding (bullies shed something awful), a basset hound may be a good breed for you. Their personalities are very similar to a bulldog. They are couch potatoes, very pack oriented (meaning they love their families soooo much!), very minimal exercise, comical as well. Plus, their health issues are much less likely. The only difference other than looks is that they have a higher prey drive and will chase rabbits and stuff if not on leash.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
[MENTION=3919]Blacklite[/MENTION] the wrinkles really become part of a daily routine. After doing it for so many weeks it's just another chore during the day. The vet gave me wipes for his wrinkles that have a drying agent in them so all I do is use one a day and it takes no more then 30 seconds. Gio also has a deep tail pocket that I also have to clean every day but I use the same wipes I use for his wrinkles so it doesn't take a long time to do at all. But if you miss a day it's not going to be the end of the world, I have missed days before but I just make sure to never miss two in a row. Some bullies just have way deeper wrinkles than others that require more cleaning.

Also like [MENTION=1906]GatorRay[/MENTION] said maybe another dog would be an option, I also have a French Bulldog and she is just as clownish and playful as my English Bulldog but she has way less medical and daily needs!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
And yet most Bulldog owners have more than one....Even with all the wiping and worries. We must be mad? There is also a lot of bullies to rescue, so not everybody is cut out to be one. The ones that are never regret it.

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh, and one more thing about the vet bills...if you do with a bully with issues (and my GatorRay comes from an excellent breeder and has issues), it isn't a matter of whether or not you are willing to pay vet bills because everyone who loves there dogs would plunk down that cash in an instant, it is a matter of whether or not you CAN pay the vet bills. With what we have had to pay for his treatment, it has been a huge struggle but luckily, we have always managed to make it work and I would sell everything I own to pay those bills if necessary (though that isn't necessary YET lol).

And you could get very lucky and have a dog like our Gypsy who has had minimal issues and barely cost us anything.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
And yet most Bulldog owners have more than one....Even with all the wiping and worries. We must be mad? There is also a lot of bullies to rescue, so not everybody is cut out to be one. The ones that are never regret it.

Just like potato chips....you can't have just one

roanne9145

Apr 11, 2010
Palmyra New York
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Apple, Grudge, Chisel and Rukus
I show and own 3 bulldogs and many in the past. I am not rich by any means but would always choose the bulldog for my breed. They are funny, smart and love attention amoungst other things. I take out insurance on them and made sure they would cover breed specific ailments like cherry eyes or tail problems in bulldogs etc. I have had some with allergies, some with cherry eye and then some that had no health problems at all. If you decide to purchase a bulldog in the future make sure to check out their tail, eyes and don't look for tons of wrinkles around the face area which could cause problem. Also check the nose to make sure it is open and can breathe easy.. Hopefully you can see the mom who should be a good example of a bulldog. Good luck in your search. If you need more advice I like others in this group would be happy to help.
Roanne
I would also suggest to have care credit in case of emergencies....

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Some thoughts: do you have $5,000 you can get overnight if needed? I have a bank account just like parents have for their kids: $100 buck goes straight in from my pay check.

Do you like to travel? If you’ve got places you’ve wanted to visit that require longer than 3-4 days my personal opinion is to wait on a bulldog.

I have missed a day with wrinkle/butt maintenance, but you’ll probably look forward to it. Our bully sees the cleaning kit and rolls over on her back. Grooming is love.

In terms of life expectancy, there are so many variables. Keep their weight in check, go for short walks often, and stay tuned in to everything.

You are smart to match a temperament with yours (I would avoid a Border Collie at all costs!). That said, I had a rescue German Shepherd for 14 years who people said was my “dog twin”—she slept when I slept, vegged on the couch when I did, walked when I did.

If you can get hooked up with a local bulldog rescue, just the process alone of getting checked out will help you learn even more about the breed. Good luck. I love dogs and will always have them in my life, any shape, breed or size, and if I can do it responsibily, at least one will always be an EBD.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online