English Bulldog Worries

Blacklite

Dec 18, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
Hello all. I am considering an English Bulldog as a possible dog for me in the near future, however I come to you with questions/concerns in hopes that you guys, with personal experience can help clear it up.

I LOVE Bulldogs. Perfect dog for me. Moderate exercise, couch potatoes, funny, friendly guys. Only things that worry me are the short life spans, and vet bills.

Are these things exaggerated? I would be happy if my dog passed at 11,12+ years.. that's a pretty good life, but I heard Bulldogs on average only live till about 8? Is there any way this short life span can be extended, other than the obvious keeping up on it's health and regular vet visits?

Which brings me to my next point, are the vet bills also exaggerated, or is the over-expensiveness of them a reality? This isn't as big of a deal, but just curious.

Also one last question; how are bulldogs with strangers? I am looking for a dog that is friendly, but that is aloof with strangers, in that they won't just go with anyone that gives them a rub. How are EBs in this department? good, bad, so-so?

C

Cooper11

Even though English Bulldogs sound like lazy easy dogs...they are pretty high maintenance. If you are wanting a dog that you don't have to do daily grooming to this is not the dog for you. Bullies have a shorter life span but there are bullies that have lived longer like around 12 years. My breeder has had quite a few live that long. As for expensive vet bill. Be ready to pay a hefty amount just to purchase your bully. No on here can tell you that there won't be expensive vet bills. Bullies are know for having some health problems but not all bullies have them. You could get a bully that is perfect and never has any allergies or anything wrong with it and lives a long healthy life. But if you are not wanting an expensive vet bill then I wouldn't get a bully because there are chances he can have something wrong or have to have this and that done and it all adds up. With strangers every bully is different ...my bully get along and lives everyone but you have some who are protective of their family.

I think your concerns about having a bully you should really think about it. Because everything you are afraid of can and might happen and if you are not wanting to deal with any of it i would go with another breed. They are awesome dogs but you just have to really research this breed and a breeder before you jump right in an get a bully! They are like no other breed of dog, they are different, and they are special.

Hope this helps my advice is do your research!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hey I totally agree with [MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] ! I did all the research and found a great breeder and paid a priceless price for my baby but at 8 months he required surgery not something hereditary just another possible health concern and it cost more than what I paid for my baby! He is priceless in my eyes and I will sell my home if had to! But you never know what can happen with any animal but the bullies are so special! You have to be ready for anything! I have a pitbull and my Brutus (ebd) is totally different than her from food, treats, excersize, toys, everything is different! Take time before making a decison and do a ton of reasearch! I waited 1 year before my decison and I thought I knew everything and I dont still learning new things everyday! Glad you found us and Good Luck

C

Cooper11

Hey I totally agree with @Cooper11 ! I did all the research and found a great breeder and paid a priceless price for my baby but at 8 months he required surgery not something hereditary just another possible health concern and it cost more than what I paid for my baby! He is priceless in my eyes and I will sell my home if had to! But you never know what can happen with any animal but the bullies are so special! You have to be ready for anything! I have a pitbull and my Brutus (ebd) is totally different than her from food, treats, excersize, toys, everything is different! Take time before making a decison and do a ton of reasearch! I waited 1 year before my decison and I thought I knew everything and I dont still learning new things everyday! Glad you found us and Good Luck
I left for the store right after I replied to this thread and when I was driving I said o I should tag Snook cuz she is prime example of you just never know and it can happen to anyone! :) Love ya Bru Bru

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
everyone says that we treat lola (our 10 month old puppy) like a child, and its kind of true...very high maintenance :) no vet bills yet, knock knock, but we have puppy insurance just in case. lola doesnt have bad allergies, but she has some tear stains which might mean she's allergic to somethin in her food, which we pay $20 for 5lbs....about 5lbs every two weeks or so she eats. its not cheap to buy or to feed or to maintain (lots of baby wipes and sweaters hah). but not joking on the baby wipes. but god can lola snuggle, and she has the sweetest face, and she just loves us. she's a little scared of strangers, but we slept at my parents house one night and lola got up and growled (first time ever) when my mom passed through the living room to make coffee and we were still sleeping. every bully is differnt, mine is shy but gets dirty alot. she's needy emotionally but not exercise wise (about 3 15 minute spurts a day :) think about it, they are seriously the sweetest animal on earth. but your friends will think you spoil her/him :)

Last edited:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] Yes it can defintaley happen but I wouldnt have it any other way! High maintence isnt the beginning :rofl:

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
The love makes it worth every penny. They are definitely high maintenance with the wrinkle and bum wiping. My pup is only four and a half months. To date nothing serious but her routine vaccines. I feed her a high quality food to hopefully help her live longer and avoid health issues. There are lots of little things that can go wrong, but if you do your research and find a good reputable breeder you also increase the probability of a healthy pup.

Hubby paid a heft sum for Raven and he would do it again. They are a wonderful breed despite any possible issues. Good luck in making your decision.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Might I also note that with most purebred dogs you have health concerns in one form or another.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
They are alot of work, but they are worth it the love they give back is priceless, gunny is nine now but he has had his share of health problems and at his age I take him to the vet every 2 months just to make sure everything is good. They are like kids and give so much love. I think you have to be a special person to have one because they do take a large part of your day and if it"s work to you it just wont work. they need attention all the time and I love giving it to gunny he is so worth it. You just have to have one own you to know how much they better your life and teach you how to love, gunny is old now but he still plays like he"s a year old they keep giving and giving.

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Every dog is different... and all breeds have their own qwerks. Your in the right place to find out of a bulldog is for you.

We are 3 months into our bulldog ownership, and i can honestly say its been a *hoot*. She is 5 months old and unlike any puppy I've ever had. Stubborn, Quirky, Eccentric... ~26lb's of wrinkly little love!

Here is my review of our bulldog:

Expensive to own? Yes.... Vet bills, Pet insurance, good quality food. (This is true for most dogs BTW)

Low Maintenance? Nope.... Daily wrinkle cleaning, Multiple Bum cleaning's a day, Never ending chewing (teething).

Couch Potato? Nope.... If she's not sleeping, she's working on lowering the value of my house.

Funny? YES!.... She goes out of her way to make us laugh. Like i said, her personality is unlike any dog I've ever had.

Friendly? YES.... If you come into our house, you won't leave until she's had a chance to snuggle in your lap.

Does she snore? YES.... She could wake the dead with how loud she snores, and she's still a puppy!

Is she smart? YES... Too smart for her own good.

Is she Trainable? Only when she wants to be :)

Would i get another bulldog? YES!

I

ImAGuinneyPig

Bulldogs CAN have health issues, especially if you do not get your pup from a reputable breeder. Getting a Bulldog from a BYB, puppy mill, broker, pet store, almost guarantees you will have a puppy with health issues. This puppy may be at a cheaper price, but will cost you more in the long run in vet bills. Paying more up front for a puppy from a breeder whose goal is to breed healthy, temperamentally sound Bulldogs is going to be worth it in the long run.
But of course health cannot always be 100% guaranteed. You still may have a puppy with allergies. And despite testing and cleared parents, a pup can still have HD.
Putting your puppy on a high quality food, keeping up with regular vet care, and exercise will go a long way towards a long, healthy life for your Bulldog.
A lot of owners also get pet insurance. Some health issues can get to be quite costly. For some dogs you will need this insurance. For others you won't ever touch it. Every dog is different.
The same can be said for level of activity. My Bully is fairly active. She loves nothing more than to play, and loves going for long walks. That's not to say she also doesn't crash hard :p
Like others mentioned, they also require a level of maintainence every day, like cleaning face wrinkles, their rope, and tail pockets. Also take care with extreme temperatures.
Dealing with strangers again is going to be dependent on the dog, and how you socialize them as a pup. When Guinness was young she was introduced to all kinds of situations, people, dogs, etc. For the most part she buddies up to whomever will give her a bum scratch. Other people she is more cautious with, and wants to sniff them before she allows pets.
I would suggest you really reserach the breed because they are a commitment, just like any of other dog, but they do have their "special needs".

kaikousha

Jan 25, 2012
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor & Odin
They're so much work! You put endless hours into researching their food, that noise they made the other day, toys, health issues. We treat ours like he's our child. BF says his previous dogs did their own thing and could eat anything. Your friends will think you spoil them way too much, you have to make sure people don't give them food and treats you didn't OK first. They are total velcro dogs. It's all worth it because every second you're home they're the happiest dog you ever saw! It's a labor of love :)

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
They're so much work! You put endless hours into researching their food, that noise they made the other day, toys, health issues. We treat ours like he's our child. BF says his previous dogs did their own thing and could eat anything. Your friends will think you spoil them way too much, you have to make sure people don't give them food and treats you didn't OK first. They are total velcro dogs. It's all worth it because every second you're home they're the happiest dog you ever saw! It's a labor of love :)

[MENTION=4152]kaikousha[/MENTION]. Agree!! Wouldn't haven't any other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
I treat my EB like a child too. But then again I don't want children, I got a dog, so it works for us. Luckily we have had no major health problems yet but the like every one said they are not cheep dogs and nether are the vet visits. As for personality, they are awesome! That is what drew my to owning an EB in the first place. They are so friendly, silly, funny dogs! If fact sometimes I say Uni is too friendly, but she still is a puppy. She wants to say Hi to everybody, I and I really do mean everybody. She has even got into other peoples cars when they were friendly to her! And then I couldn't get her to come to me either! I had to pull her out!!!

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
The only other issue I can think of that some people can't deal with is- their fur gets all over the furniture,they drool, and boy,they can clear out a room when they fart!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.