Melissa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: English Bulldog Worries

@Blacklite the wrinkles really become part of a daily routine. After doing it for so many weeks it's just another chore during the day. The vet gave me wipes for his wrinkles that have a drying agent in them so all I do is use one a day and it takes no more then 30 seconds. Gio also has a deep tail pocket that I also have to clean every day but I use the same wipes I use for his wrinkles so it doesn't take a long time to do at all. But if you miss a day it's not going to be the end of the world, I have missed days before but I just make sure to never miss two in a row. Some bullies just have way deeper wrinkles than others that require more cleaning.

Also like @GatorRay said maybe another dog would be an option, I also have a French Bulldog and she is just as clownish and playful as my English Bulldog but she has way less medical and daily needs!
    Princess, Diva, and Gio <3

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

And yet most Bulldog owners have more than one....Even with all the wiping and worries. We must be mad? There is also a lot of bullies to rescue, so not everybody is cut out to be one. The ones that are never regret it.

I am in total control....I think Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Oh, and one more thing about the vet bills...if you do with a bully with issues (and my GatorRay comes from an excellent breeder and has issues), it isn't a matter of whether or not you are willing to pay vet bills because everyone who loves there dogs would plunk down that cash in an instant, it is a matter of whether or not you CAN pay the vet bills. With what we have had to pay for his treatment, it has been a huge struggle but luckily, we have always managed to make it work and I would sell everything I own to pay those bills if necessary (though that isn't necessary YET lol).

And you could get very lucky and have a dog like our Gypsy who has had minimal issues and barely cost us anything.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    And yet most Bulldog owners have more than one....Even with all the wiping and worries. We must be mad? There is also a lot of bullies to rescue, so not everybody is cut out to be one. The ones that are never regret it.
    Just like potato chips....you can't have just one
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruby, Pebble and Stella
    Likes (Received)

I show and own 3 bulldogs and many in the past. I am not rich by any means but would always choose the bulldog for my breed. They are funny, smart and love attention amoungst other things. I take out insurance on them and made sure they would cover breed specific ailments like cherry eyes or tail problems in bulldogs etc. I have had some with allergies, some with cherry eye and then some that had no health problems at all. If you decide to purchase a bulldog in the future make sure to check out their tail, eyes and don't look for tons of wrinkles around the face area which could cause problem. Also check the nose to make sure it is open and can breathe easy.. Hopefully you can see the mom who should be a good example of a bulldog. Good luck in your search. If you need more advice I like others in this group would be happy to help.
    Roanne
    I would also suggest to have care credit in case of emergencies....

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lupe (or Lulu)
    Likes (Received)

Some thoughts: do you have $5,000 you can get overnight if needed? I have a bank account just like parents have for their kids: $100 buck goes straight in from my pay check.

Do you like to travel? If you’ve got places you’ve wanted to visit that require longer than 3-4 days my personal opinion is to wait on a bulldog.

I have missed a day with wrinkle/butt maintenance, but you’ll probably look forward to it. Our bully sees the cleaning kit and rolls over on her back. Grooming is love.

In terms of life expectancy, there are so many variables. Keep their weight in check, go for short walks often, and stay tuned in to everything.

You are smart to match a temperament with yours (I would avoid a Border Collie at all costs!). That said, I had a rescue German Shepherd for 14 years who people said was my “dog twin”—she slept when I slept, vegged on the couch when I did, walked when I did.

If you can get hooked up with a local bulldog rescue, just the process alone of getting checked out will help you learn even more about the breed. Good luck. I love dogs and will always have them in my life, any shape, breed or size, and if I can do it responsibily, at least one will always be an EBD.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Athena and Ty
    Likes (Received)

We have 2 bullies and love them to pieces. They can be very demanding whether its play time or they are just looking for love. As far as being a couch potato? At times they can be, but they would much rather being running around and playing than laying around any day. Our babies love people, we have never had an issue with company coming over and them being aggressive what so ever. As said in previous posts, bullies can be expensive only because they are so high maintenance. You will want to find a reputable vet that knows bullies and have them on a good quality dog food. Never never buy the cheapie stuff.
    All the expense is so worth it tho. We love our babies as if they were one of our children. There is no other breed of dog like a bulldog and if you do decide to get one you will never regret it. But do your research, read read read about them. Read posts on here, books whatever you can get your hands on. Becuase just when you think you have it all figured out something else comes up.

Good luck with your decision. And if you do decide to get a bully baby please feel free to come back here and post lots of pics.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads