help picking new puppy

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
So i am finally ready to purchase my first bully puppy, and was hoping for some help. I have found a local reputable breeder an the puppy i think i want.

What questions should i be asking the breeder? what type of health guarantee is standard? what should i be looking for in a healthy puppy?

Thank You

C

Cooper11

I have a health warranty of a year for Cooper and Gracie.....I think you yourself this is a good can tell if you have a feeling that breeder than you are probably right...Is there anyway to get in contact with any one that has purchased puppies from them...That was one thing I liked was they had Facebook and I could talk to ALOT of people who had gotten puppies from them. If you haven't yet you need to go to their house and check out the place where your puppy is going to be coming from. Should be clean and should see healthy adults and puppies. If you have an inkling that something isn't right back off and find a new breeder.

OP
D

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
thank you for the reply. one more question to help me solve a dispute with the wife...

do bullys slober.often? she had a friend who owned one that had to keep a slober rag available all the time. i have.never noticed it on any i have been around.

C

Cooper11

thank you for the reply. one more question to help me solve a dispute with the wife...

do bullys slober.often? she had a friend who owned one that had to keep a slober rag available all the time. i have.never noticed it on any i have been around.

:ROFL: So funny these are questions I asked the others who bought bullies from this breeder. They pry thought I was annoying. They Do shed, they DO :fart: , sometimes bad! As for slobber some bullies slobber some don't. I have Cooper and he does not slobber just sitting her but he will a little if there is food that smells really good and it is hella mess when he drinks it is just all over his face slobbing all over the floor. As I sit and type he is right by me and dry as can me. My mom has his sister and she doesn't slobber either. I live by some one who has another English Bulldog and she doesn't slobber either...Tell you wife she is going to LOVE this dog and will be obsessed. Believe me she and you will!!!!! They are just and awesome funny breed. The positives def outweigh the negatives. And look now you have some one to blame the smell on when you :fart:

C

Cooper11

Just make sure you do your researach about the health problems they can get and allergies. Where ever you go an English Bulldog is always the center of attention! I have owned many dogs and different breeds and there is no breed to compare. They are a breed of themselves. They are the funniest most awesome dogs ever! When I got Cooper I wold never have guess I would be this into and crazy about a dog but I am and so Is my mom....heck so are all of us this website! I am sooo excited for you and your family to get your baby! You will not regret it!!! I was worried about the shedding and slobber too ...he does shed but I vacuum everyday and it really doesn't bother me...I love his too much! I have never owned a dog that sheds and said I never would! :) Can't wait to see pics!!

I

ImAGuinneyPig

To ME, this is what a reputable breeder does (and it's A LOT):

-registered with AKC (or equivalent REPUTABLE club, CKC here in Canada)
-breeding to BETTER the breed, not to make a quick buck
-written health guarantee
-both sire AND dam have all health clearances -- for Bulldogs that means cleared hips, elbows, and knees from OFA, and eyes from CERF
-both sire and dam health checked with vet prior to pairing
-made sure sire and dam were a good "match" or complimentary - didn't just breed any male and female because it's convenient/nearby/cheap
-willing to take the puppy back anytime during its life should your circumstances change
-does not send puppies home with new family until 8 weeks or older
-belongs to the breed club
-will not breed any stock that was not health cleared or has congenital disease, genetic defect
-only breeds excellent temperaments
-provides proper care (vet, socialization, health, nutrition, exercise, etc.) for ALL of their dogs
-thoroughly screens all potential new owners
-supports you throughout the life of your puppy - will stay in touch
-does not over-breed
-does not sell their puppies to brokers or pet stores
-has a spay/neuter contract
-supplies references from previous buyers
-registers the litter and provides the documentation
-does not breed a b*tch or dog under the age of 2
-very knowledgable about the breed
-breeds to the standard
-doesn't breed "rare" colours and charge more for them
-shows their dogs in some form - conformation, field trials, agility, obedience, herding, etc.
-usually involved in breed rescue
-will have you sign a contract
-all dogs, b*tches and litters are kept in safe, clean, and comfortable environment

I think that's it :D

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
To ME, this is what a reputable breeder does (and it's A LOT):

-registered with AKC (or equivalent REPUTABLE club, CKC here in Canada)
-breeding to BETTER the breed, not to make a quick buck
-written health guarantee
-both sire AND dam have all health clearances -- for Bulldogs that means cleared hips, elbows, and knees from OFA, and eyes from CERF
-both sire and dam health checked with vet prior to pairing
-made sure sire and dam were a good "match" or complimentary - didn't just breed any male and female because it's convenient/nearby/cheap
-willing to take the puppy back anytime during its life should your circumstances change
-does not send puppies home with new family until 8 weeks or older
-belongs to the breed club
-will not breed any stock that was not health cleared or has congenital disease, genetic defect
-only breeds excellent temperaments
-provides proper care (vet, socialization, health, nutrition, exercise, etc.) for ALL of their dogs
-thoroughly screens all potential new owners
-supports you throughout the life of your puppy - will stay in touch
-does not over-breed
-does not sell their puppies to brokers or pet stores
-has a spay/neuter contract
-supplies references from previous buyers
-registers the litter and provides the documentation
-does not breed a b*tch or dog under the age of 2
-very knowledgable about the breed
-breeds to the standard
-doesn't breed "rare" colours and charge more for them
-shows their dogs in some form - conformation, field trials, agility, obedience, herding, etc.
-usually involved in breed rescue
-will have you sign a contract
-all dogs, b*tches and litters are kept in safe, clean, and comfortable environment

I think that's it :D

Excellent points... Thanx for taking the time to make that list.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
None of my bullies slobber..

OP
D

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
Thank you everyone for the help. I can tell you the breeder offered a 1 year heart and hip guarantee, provided pedigrees for both parents, does show their dogs, and seems to have been doing so for years.

They did not really screen me, although I went in asking a lot of health and background info, so I probably came off as someone who knew what he was getting into. I need to make a deposit on the puppy, however I am out of tow until Thursday. I hope he is still available then, but if not I guess it was npt meant to be.

OP
D

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
Well I got back home today from my trip, and the puppy was sold. :begging:

So now my question would be, can anyone recommend a breeder in Florida, or possibly southern Georgia?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well I got back home today from my trip, and the puppy was sold. :begging: So now my question would be, can anyone recommend a breeder in Florida, or possibly southern Georgia?

[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] .... what is the one that she needs to stay away from that is down there??

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
My macy is only 6 months old. She only slobbers her water all over the place. And i mean all over the place...icckk. Lol

Kelly aka Macy's Momma

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
The answer to this is yes! Bullies style mouth than most dogs, it's square like hippo. It's not so much that they slobber, it's when they drink the water pools in their mouth and out the extra comes. I am forever wiping my floors!!! Then they walk away from their water bowls and the dripping follows them. Good luck on your search. They're worth all the work if you really love the breed. :)

OP
D

Dissident

Feb 21, 2011
The breeder contact me back and said he was back to available... not sure why but im excited! Going to call first thing in the morning. I could not find any reviews, negative or positive, about the breeder, but they are listed on the AKC site.

1. YES I provide AKC individual dog registration applications to the puppy buyer.

2. YES I am a member of an AKC Parent Club .
I am a member of Bulldog Club of America

3. YES I am a member of an AKC specialty club.
I am a member of Tampa Bay Bulldog Club

4. NO I am a member of an AKC licensed or AKC member all-breed club.

5. YES The applicable health screens have been performed on the sire and dam as recommended by the Parent Club for this breed. (AKC recommends you ask about health issues as discussed on the web pages of the respective AKC Parent Club). Please make sure appropriate certification data, which is recorded by the AKC, is recorded for the sire and dam if indicating yes.

6. YES I will provide a written bill of sale detailing responsibilities for the buyer and the seller.

7. --- If the puppy buyer cannot keep a puppy purchased from me, I will take the puppy back under all conditions.

8. YES I will provide the puppy buyer with information about socialization, exercise, training, feeding, immunizations, proper veterinary care, and responsible dog ownership.

9. YES I provide a health guarantee for the puppies I sell.

10. YES I permanently identify all my breeding stock by microchip or tattoo.

11. YES After my puppies are permanently identified, I enroll them in AKC Companion Animal Recovery.

12. YES My dogs compete in the following AKC events: Conformation

13. YES I have been breeding for: 20+ years

Should I be pretty safe with them? They have lots of photos, the parents are on site, and they provided all proper paperwork.

C

Cooper11

That is Great! Can't wait to see if you get him!! Let us know!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online