Drama Queen... Nail trimming issues..

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
We've been trimming Molly's nails since we first got her.. We also CONSTANTLY play with her feet and make sure she's used to us 'man-handling' her. Now at the rotten age of 5 months old she's learned a new trick...

She has started howling, growling and spazzing out when the clippers get close to her feet.. we move the clippers away and she is her normal happy/goofy self.

At first we thought she was hurt, but after a thorough inspection she's fine. We can roll her on her back and play with her feet & toes, squeeze and pull her feet/legs all we want and she just drool's and takes it.. but as soon as the clippers come out and she feels them on her nails she screams bloody murder.

We ended up hiding the clippers in a towel and she didn't notice until we where on the last paw... but next time i don't think the towel trick will work.

She's not afraid of the clippers (like she is with her arch nemesis... Mr. Vacuum). She'll come up and sniff, lick and chew on them if they are in your hand. The clippers are high quality and super sharp... she hardly notices the actual *snip*.

Any ideas how to stop this behavior before it gets worse? We can play with her feet all we want... we can play with her feet with the clippers in our hands... but as soon as the clippers touch her nails she starts her Oscar worthy performance.

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
Some owners take their dogs to the vet or groomers and let them deal with it. I can't afford it so I have someone hold them still while I clip their nails.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i just did Lola's nails while she was half asleep on the couch :)

C

Cooper11

Cooper was like that....he is such a big baby! I would be holding him and he would try to get away acting like i was killing him. I am sure it is quite the site to see me holding using my one hand and my legs and feet to hold him still...lol He is almost 7 month now and he does a lot better! Gracie is kind of the same way. She hates being on her back and she hates if you are holding her up so you can see her tummy...so my mom usually has to hold her while I clip!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
BabyGirl is the same way. She struggles everytime and wears us both out. Physically and emotionally we are spent. She also bites us gently as a warning that if we hurt her she'll hurt us! So far she hasn't...

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
I take gunny to the vet, no way would he let me do it , but at the vets he just lays calm and lets them do it with no problem. I think he can feel my nervousness when trying to cut his so for 12.00 I leave the vet do it.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I am one that takes Vegas to Petsmart, for $11.00 they dremel his nails, so no sharp edges. It takes 2 groomers, one to do the nails and one to hold him from trying to jump off the table. He has went there for over two years and they love him and know his ways. Angie (the nail tech) automatically calls out for some help as soon as we walk in the door. LOL. He has never been hurt, never whined or cried, he just HATES having it done!!

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I just experienced the same thing this past week. My baby has had his nails clipped 3 times in past 3 weeks since he came home. The first time he was great, second time we trimmed them while he was sleeping and this past weekend after bath. You would have thought I was killing him! My sweet puppy that never whimpers was having a fit! So I quit and got a battery powered rotary file. That scared him too. So them I used a heavy duty emery board and that worked!nhe wasnt crazy about it, but he did tolerate it. I know clipping doesn't hurt unless you cut into the quick, but the pressure on the nail must be uncomfortable, plus they are also being restrained, so that also makes them resist, too. I suggest you try a file. Hope it helps.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Abby is at the vet so much I just let them do it.

I had a rabbit and one time I cut his nails and he bled for an hour. Now just knowing the clippers are in the drawer makes me feel guilty.

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
I am one that takes Vegas to Petsmart, for $11.00 they dremel his nails, so no sharp edges. It takes 2 groomers, one to do the nails and one to hold him from trying to jump off the table. He has went there for over two years and they love him and know his ways. Angie (the nail tech) automatically calls out for some help as soon as we walk in the door. LOL. He has never been hurt, never whined or cried, he just HATES having it done!!

Dang it! We don't have a Pet Smart around here,my vet charges 16.00.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
I didn"t know petsmart did it with a dremmel, that would be better than cutting and being jagged afterwards. I"ll try them thanks for the tip

Georgiasmom

Feb 3, 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
I miss having a petsmart :hissy:. But Georgia has done okay so far. I was :lol: because it made me think of when I was told by my daughter's doctor to bite her nails when she was sleeping. I could see all of us on our couches as our bullies nap trying to clean and bite their nails!!! :LMAO: Sorry deployment making me crazy! :p

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I can do Gracies, Bogarts, Ziggys, and Mojos but with mojo I have to lay on him. Lola I cant do. Caleb I wont do, he has all black nails. I take them to the local groomer and for 10 they cut and dremel.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I use Pedicure (yeah, I bought it from a TV Ad - sucker! LOL) weekly. It makes it really easy and the dogs deal better with it than the clipper.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=3952]TheLost[/MENTION] Distract her with treats

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.