Rabies!

C

Cooper11

I wanted to post this because it really shocked me....I was at the grocery store tonight and there a boy that works there that got his mom an American Bulldog around they same time we got our EB's .....I asked him tonight how his pup was doing and he said not good. He said that the pup was very aggressive and nipping at his little sisters so his mom decided it wold be best to put her down. So the vet agreed and they put her to sleep and later the vet called them and said it was a good thing they did that because blood test showed she had rabies!!!! I was shocked and the whole family had to go get shots and I guess if a human gets it the survival rate is 8%!!! The kids at the store said he was so scared because he had a scratch the days before the dog had licked it and I remember right after they got the pup he said the pup bit him in the lip really good!The puppy did not act sick or anything just was a little aggressive. I just wanted to make people aware of this because I had no clue. The vet says that the rabie shot is 99% effecttive and there is that small 1% that can still get it even with the shot! So scary!!! I thought maybe other wold find this interesting because I have never known a dog that has gotten rabies. Actually with all of my dogs growing up I think we even skipped rabie shots sometimes....I will NEVER do that now! His older brother got the sister of this pup and she is perfectly healthy and a very loving nice pup! So make sure you get your pups and older dogs up to date on shots!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
That is scary. I hope the family will be ok. All my pets get vaccinated. I still feel sad for the American Bulldog though as I guess it was really the Rabies making him behave that way.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I hope all is well too. It's very important to keep vaccinations in check, cause not all people do. Sorry, but one thing I have to wonder though. The family desided put the dog down (at that point not knowing about the rabies) instead of seek help with the training or take to the vet to check if there's something wrong with the pup.

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] I kind of agree with [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] the pup was only 6 months old right? seems a little precipitated to put him down at such a young age..

OP
C

Cooper11

[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] [MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION] To tell you the truth I thought the same thing. I am sure my face said it all when I looked at him in total shock that they put the puppy down. And that was when he went right into the rabies thing. I am thinking there is more to the story because I don't think any vet wold put a pup to sleep with out good reason. I also feel bad for the pup :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
sad story and situation all the way around

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Poor thing...I hope that the story was totally true and they didn't just give up on the pup for bad behavior.

OP
C

Cooper11

Poor thing...I hope that the story was totally true and they didn't just give up on the pup for bad behavior.

They are good people...so I am thinking it is true! They had always wanted an American Bulldog and I think it was a hard choice for them. They are going to be getting another one. The one the brother has is totally fine so maybe the pup was born sick and the breeder didn't know! I know it was aggressive from the get go because I would ask him about it every time I saw him and he would ask about Cooper. He would always tell stories of it biting and I think they thought at first it was being protective but then it started going at them! Sounds like it could have been a very bad thing if they didn't put him down,,,they have a lot of small kids in the house!

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
It"s a sad situation when something like this happens but I would"nt have put him to sleep if I didn"t know he had rabies my heart goes out to them and the puppy.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.