wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
I recently updated my sunporch to be a place me and the guys can hang out, watch tv and smoke cigars and not have the rest of the house smell. However, wherever I go I have a short, fat shadow that always wants to be with me. This leads me to my dilemma. I feel bad smoking cigars with the dog with me due to the second hand smoke. There is no type of informed consent for something that doesn't understand English, and I feel awful contributing to him having a higher chance of obtaining some type of cancer due to the cigar smoke. Does anyone else on here smoke with their dogs and has it led to any problems. I dont mind putting him in the other room for the hour or so I smoke a cigar a few times a day but I feel basnbecause I can him cry because he can't come to where I am.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
That's a good question. Don't have the answer but hope someone chimes in soon. I myself cannot tolerate cigarette smoke and feel like I'm suffocating when I'm around it.

C

Cooper11

Sounds like he has your wrapped around his little paw! :) My mom doesn't smoke in the house she goes out to the garage and I know Gracie sometimes goes out there with her. I am not sure about the health risk it can cause but when I took Coop to the vet for his eyes tearing because it came out of nowhere they asked me if he was around smoke. I would say with these bullies being so sensitive to stuff that it probably will effect them in some way it they get too much of it. But I am not an expert so don't take my word for it.

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
I would err on the safe side and not smoke around him.
Since second hand smoke isn't exactly healthy for humans, it isn't a big leap to assume that it also would not be safe for our pets.

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Best bet would be no smoking for him or you. Lost too many to cancer here, my mom, wife's mom and sister. All Waayyyy to young also. Not the answer you want but that's my vote :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I smoke cigarettes - outside on my fabulous garden porch which I created - fountain and all - for this purpose. The dogs get to go out there with me as a privilege. And they know it. The smoke goes up and never gets anywhere near their pink lungs. While I am out there, they have rules to follow and I enforce those so I am ever being the leader. (They can't chase the cats, they can't step OFF the porch without my OK, they can't eat plants in the pots, etc.) We sit out there and watch all the hummingbirds (they can't allowed to chase or bark at anything either)

I say smoke em up, big guy. More bonding time for you and the pup!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I would just see how if affects him if you really want him to be with you. I'm assuming boys night is probably what...once a week at most? As long as you guys aren't blowing smoke right at the dog and maybe (for everyones sake) crack a window to let the smoke get out.

Just keep an eye on your pup and make sure he doesn't seem bothered by it....if he gets watery eyes or starts breathing differently...send him on out. Have fun! :)

I

ImAGuinneyPig

My vote would be to leave him in the house. I would rather listen to my pup whine then compromise her health. Second hand smoke is not good for people, so it can't be good for our furry friends either!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I will admit that I am a smoker and never really paid attention to what it was doing to my Chanel! She is a pitbull and has always been healthy no problems at her 6mnth checkups... When we got Brutus we knew we had to change something b/c of his breathing to begin with! Its sad it took me to get a bullie before we stopped smoking in front of her! We have a indoor/outdoor porch used for smoking now!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Can he see you while you are in this room? If yes, let him lay by the door, but I would not bring him in the room unless you can open windows/doors.... the cigar odor will remain in his fur

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.