Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Hi everyone, so when Gio sleeps he is a loud breather and twitches sometimes. But today while the dogs were both napping at one point his twitching became faster and his breathing was louder, when I looked at him his eyes were open and his eyeball was shaking side to side. I started rubbing his back and saying his name to calm him down and his twitching and breathing slowed down and went back to normal and his eyes closed and he was right back to sleep (so the extreme twitching and eyes shaking lasted maybe 10 seconds). I woke him up about 30 seconds after and he was completely normal, just mad that I woke him up! Could this be a seizure? Or was it maybe a dream and he just started twitching more? Or maybe even sleep apnea? I wasn't too concerned only because he has been his normal self all day.

Just a couple of pictures of them napping today then Gio mad after I woke him up!:ROFL:

mail-1.jpegmail-2.jpegmail-3.jpeg

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hey! My Brutus had about 4 seizures and he wasnt sleeping when they happend! He was walking around and would plop on the ground and shake! ...I have seen dogs having seizures and most happen while they are awake. I dont know what it could be and I am sure others will be by soon to help out with this! It could have been a bad dream b/c Brutus does that a lot and when he was having the seizures it would scare me b/c I thought he was having one but wasnt....I think they are just passed out and dreamining it takes a min to wake up :)

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] sorry I can't be any help but I know kmarino has a lot of experience in seizures. I'll direct here ;)

Edit; how embarrassing, I've been away for a while, I meant to direct libra here as well, it was Vegas I was thinking of !

Last edited:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I would think he was only dreaming as my guys do that sometimes.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds like dreamin' to me... but [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] - her Vegas has epilepsy and she can give you more insight

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I would say it's more like a dream than anything. Seizures are brain waves going haywire and usually leaves the pup exhausted and can leave them confused. As for having his eyes open...Orion will snore (loudly) and still have her eyes open. If you want, I can tag you with a link to one of Vegas seizures.

**Just so you know...99% of Vegas' seizures happen when he is sleeping. Usually between the hours of 3am and 6am.** Tag me will a notice if you would like to see the video of him having a seizure.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=2106]mbuxx[/MENTION], it is [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]'s Vegas that has seizures, not my Vegas. My Vegas had 1 episode of head tremours when Joe was playing keep away with his favorite stuffy. It was due to over-excitement the vet said. So keep away is a No-No in this house!!

mbuxx

Mar 26, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
[MENTION=2106]mbuxx[/MENTION], it is [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]'s Vegas that has seizures, not my Vegas. My Vegas had 1 episode of head tremours when Joe was playing keep away with his favorite stuffy. It was due to over-excitement the vet said. So keep away is a No-No in this house!!

Hehe I just realized !

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
I don't have any experience with my pup having seizures. But I have read that dogs also go through a REM cycle during sleep just like we do, which might explain the eye movement that you saw. I hope it was just a really crazy dream that you woke him up from... he does look disappointed that he didn't get to finish it.

OP
mcraven2

mcraven2

Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks everyone for replying, I figured it might have just been him dreaming but wanted all you bully experts opinions!

[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] so sorry to hear that Vegas has epilepsy! Is it something that is controlled with daily medication? But I would like to see a video, I am very interested what a seizure in a bulldog looks like. Thanks!

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=4081]mcraven2[/MENTION]

Ok. Here are the links. Two are of grandmal seizures and the 3rd is what happens to him after.

People watch these videos on youtube and just don't know how I can let him suffer. He doesn't suffer. 99% of the time he is a normal 4 year old bulldog who finds mischief where ever he can. He picks fights with his little sister and finds ways to annoy her. Vegas use to have cluster seizures. Up to 7 sometimes 15 in a day. As he got older, they started to get further and further between incidents. In 2009, Vegas went 4 months with out a seizure. Once Orion joined our family, he started having them every 3 to 6 weeks. He hasn't had one since 12-10-11. We have a video camera on him during the day and [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] usually keeps an eye on him for us. He sleeps next to us in bed..since usually he had them between 3 and 6 am.

Last edited:
OP
mcraven2

mcraven2

Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] wow, props to you for being so calm and supportive towards Vegas during both those seizures! You are so great! And sorry to hear people would assume he is suffering, clearly they are not aware of epilepsy! He seems like a normal loving funny bully to me (watched more of your vids, they are both so cute!) Thanks for sharing your videos, and happy to hear Vegas hasn't had a seizure since December!

Libra926

Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] wow, props to you for being so calm and supportive towards Vegas during both those seizures! You are so great! And sorry to hear people would assume he is suffering, clearly they are not aware of epilepsy! He seems like a normal loving funny bully to me (watched more of your vids, they are both so cute!) Thanks for sharing your videos, and happy to hear Vegas hasn't had a seizure since December!

Well............I jinxed him. At 5:45 this morning we woke up to Vegas having a seizure. :bang: Almost 3 months. Almost!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Oh Baby Vegas! Sorry it happend again! I know it's not fun but mama is there for you! I just want to tell you [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] how amazing you are for taking good care of him! He is a perfect baby no matter what and deserves you! You inspired me through your videos and words when Brutus first started with his seizure! It's been since 2 weeks after surgery he hasn't had one (knocking on wood)! I hope it was from trauma of the body! But thanks to you I am prepared to deal with it if its a condition and just want to thank you! Sorry Vegas goes through this but just know how you've helped not only him but others!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.659162,-74.233490

OP
mcraven2

mcraven2

Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] oh no! Sorry to hear he had a seizure this morning! :(

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.