anal glands

C

Cooper11

I am sorry I am posting this because it is quite a gross topic if you know what anal glands smell like anyway.Well Gracie needed her anal glands last week and I have noticed Cooper being very tired, well more tired than normal and looking depressed. He was by me tonight and he jumped down of the couch quick and I swear I kinda smelled anal gland smell. He also has been running down the hallway like he was naughty. I say Coop what are you doing and he gets all down and submissive like he did something wrong. I was wondering maybe if his anal glands are releasing fluids and he feels like he is pottying in the house. I just took some diaper wipes to his but and under his tail and it was pretty gross..I mean he def. needed cleaned..he does't have the cork screw tail he has the other so no tail pocket but under his tail gets gross! He is not rubbing his butt on the ground but I know something is irritating him because when he jumped down tonight he was trying to clean himself or sniffing his butt. He also did a BIG loud :fart: a minute ago. Anal glands....or do you think I should stop the salmon oil and it may just be gas and he is not comfortable!

BoozysMom

Mar 1, 2012
Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
boozy
One of his anal glands may be obstructed and full (YUCK!). It can be painful and some dogs will react exactly as you described(had this happen with my mastiff, not fun) If you know how to express anal glands then give it a go, if not take him somewhere and have them done.

OP
C

Cooper11

One of his anal glands may be obstructed and full (YUCK!). It can be painful and some dogs will react exactly as you described(had this happen with my mastiff, not fun) If you know how to express anal glands then give it a go, if not take him somewhere and have them done.
:barf: Yes I do know how.....but I dunno if I can find his....eeewwwww.....I don't even want to think about it!

BoozysMom

Mar 1, 2012
Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
boozy
may be best to take him to your vet or groomer. Its a very nasty experience thats worth paying someone else to do and then your not the "Bad Guy".

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
poor cooper!! :cry: do you have any nursie friends who would do it?

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
My bully is just a pup and we haven't had that issue yet, but my Shih Tzu used to have that problem. Thank goodness he never rubbed his butt across the carpet but he did act very uncomfortable like you have described. I could tell by feel if they were full, but could never get the hang of expressing them, so I would just take him to the vet every several months. He always felt much better afterwards and the vet didn't change very much. I recommend that you have them checked out so your baby will feel better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
C

Cooper11

Thank You! My shih tzu I had to do his every time I cut his hair. I wasn't sure if it would be it for Cooper since he wasn't rubbing his butt on the carpet but since yo said this I am going to maybe try to do it myself :barf:......Or I may be calling the vet in Monday! Thanks Again!

OP
C

Cooper11

okay everyone! I did it! But I didn't get very much out. I have to say my shih tzu was so much easier to do. I probably will not do Cooper again because i think it was pretty uncomfotable for him and the first time he kinda whined I stopped!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Glad you liked it. :p. I did Jack's once but didnt get much out. The videos are really good and although it's gross and disgusting smelling, it's very easy to do. Highlight of my night is Emma sound asleep on my belly right now: :heart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
This is what a groomer and or vet tech get paid for..... :barf:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.