I'm really upset--Finn bit the neighbor!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
My neighbor and I both live on the same floor and we were riding in the elevator together this evening. I knew I should not have taken the same car as her and should have just let her go first but my neighbor insisted and said she didn't "mind" the boys and all their excitement. Bad move. Within 10 seconds Finn lunged at her and she let out a yelp. He bit her on the knee!

I was at a loss for words. I apologized profusely, I made Finn stay in a sit position before continuing to our condo unit. I really didn't know how to handle the situation except to keep apologizing to this young woman.

I asked my neighbor to let me know what kind of injury she had and about 15min later there was a knock on my door. She showed me the bite--definitely a puncture wound around the kneecap. I assured her that Finn was up to date w/shots and told her I would be monitoring him very closely these next few days b/c he has never done such a thing like this before.
She kept saying it was okay, she's a dog lover herself, etc...being very gracious about the whole incident. As we said goodbye and I opened my front door (we had been talking outside), Finn ran out and started chasing my neighbor! Then Tate followed and my poor neighbor was running down the long corridor, screaming all the way to her condo unit, and as she got into her own home before slamming the door, she yelled, "Now I'm really afraid of him!" (referring to Finn). When I got to Finn he was laying in a down position. I think my neighbor must have scared him off enough for him to do that.

This feels like a bad dream right now. Except it's not a dream, it's real. I'm trying to figure out what got into Finn's head to bite this lady? Today the boys were at their sitter's. I picked them up, both of them were very tired so I thought it was going to be a mellow kind of evening. When we approached the elevator Finn was definitely fixated on the neighbor and started yelping at her. That's why I didn't want to go in the same car w/her and told her to go first. This lady is non-threatening, she's tiny, she's very friendly...so i just do not get it.

I'm going to research possibly getting some outside help here, with a behaviorist, and maybe getting Finn medically evaluated too at the vet. He will be 1yo next Monday and I'm like, what the :cursing: is going on here??!!

C

Cooper11

:( You are so lucky that he bit the nice neighbor and not a stranger that would of called the cops of animal control. Poor Finn there must just be something about her that he feels he has to be defensive about. I too would have the vet check him out....maybe there is a deeper issue here. Did he act like he was in trouble when you reached him after he chased the neighbor home???? him only being 1 I just find this so odd and strange he would do this especially with no prior anger issues. Does she have a dog??? Maybe he got a bad scent from her or maybe she was afraid of him before this happened and he sensed that???? I feel for you. This problem is something that is hard to fix and to understand! Keep us updated!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION], yes, my neighbor does have a dog also...a chihuahua mix.

Finn did act like he knew he was being naughty when i caught up to him after he chased neighbor down the hall.
He was laying down and then saw me and started running away. I picked him up and carried him back home and then put him in his crate b/c i had no idea what to do at that point.

I was thinking that maybe Finn thought the neighbor was invading his space by being in "his" elevator; we always take the elevator w/out anyone else in there so i'm wondering if Finn thinks it's his territory.

C

Cooper11

@Cooper11 , yes, my neighbor does have a dog also...a chihuahua mix.

Finn did act like he knew he was being naughty when i caught up to him after he chased neighbor down the hall.
He was laying down and then saw me and started running away. I picked him up and carried him back home and then put him in his crate b/c i had no idea what to do at that point.

I was thinking that maybe Finn thought the neighbor was invading his space by being in "his" elevator; we always take the elevator w/out anyone else in there so i'm wondering if Finn thinks it's his territory.
Could very well be, just felt out of his comfort zone. He probably is use to you guys not sharing the elevator and when she was in there it threw him off. Maybe you should ask another neighbor to go down the elevator with you and Finn and see how he reacts? Obviously have him on a leash and now you will be prepared for a response if he has one...but I am curious?

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Is Finn the one wearing the "Obedience School Dropout shirt"? Just wondering.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Oh dear! I'm just as distressed hearing about this! Hugs to you and I hope nothing comes of this. Going to pray that this behavior goes away and that the neighbor forgives and forgets.

agingermom

ink-a-licious redhead bully mama
Aug 31, 2011
Washington State
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arnold Schwarzenegger and Miss Bertha Bacon and Petey Herman (Frenchie)
no, that's Tate. Finn's wearing the "I chase tail" shirt...which he certainly did do tonight!:chapped:

I chase tail, omg! That is so funny! I must have missed comments by [MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] on that shirt! :lmao:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
no, that's Tate. Finn's wearing the "I chase tail" shirt...which he certainly did do tonight!:chapped:
OMG Henny, I don't know quite what to say. I wonder what he didn't like about her. You sure didn't need this with all you have going on right now. I wonder what he didn't like about her? Was he growling and showing aggression? Not that it matters, he bit. Oh my. This is going to bother me all day. :( I'll be back later today. You have my #, call if you need to just talk or vent or send me a text and I'll give you my work #. :)

:hug: my dear dear friend!!!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
@Cooper11 , yes, my neighbor does have a dog also...a chihuahua mix.

B I N G O !

[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]

I'm sorry this happened to you. I had to laugh a little . The way you described Finn chasing the lady down the hall was funny. Im sorry for my dry sense of humor...

Aside's from the fact that Finn never rode in an elevator (small enclosed box) with anyone else, some dogs just do not like an individual's scent for whatever reason...
Both of these facts occurring at the same moment caused the Perfect Storm for Finn.....

Buy the lady a bottle Of Jack Daniels and just show her your sincerity.!
Good Luck !

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Are they used to the elevator? Or does it freak them out a bit?

Were YOU especially nervous when you were riding with the woman? He could have picked up on that and saw the woman as a threat to his pack. Dogs feel our energy! I've seen this in action soooooo many times.

Something triggered the boy.... I know you'll figure out what it is. A bite is just a reaction to something else. He's not inherently mean or even aggressive or anything.... he just acted out. I'm anxious to hear what the behaviorist will say.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I'm sorry that happened to you....my only advice is that you let your neighbor know that you are taking action to make sure this never happens again & if she's willing enlist her help at some point when things are super calm to leave things on a better level with her and Finn...it always helps to make sure the person who got bit feels/knows that the owner is really (as you are) aware of seriousness of the incident.

I just say this because I had a rescue dog ( yellow lab) who got labeled as vicious because I didn't handle his first bite incident well...by not including the victim in the steps I was taking to prevent another incident.....good luck and let us know what happens

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Are they used to the elevator? Or does it freak them out a bit?

Were YOU especially nervous when you were riding with the woman? He could have picked up on that and saw the woman as a threat to his pack. Dogs feel our energy! I've seen this in action soooooo many times.

Something triggered the boy.... I know you'll figure out what it is. A bite is just a reaction to something else. He's not inherently mean or even aggressive or anything.... he just acted out. I'm anxious to hear what the behaviorist will say.

Yes, both of them are quite used to riding up/down the elevator, but it's never been with anyone else but me. Last night, when we were walking towards the elevator, Finn was already yelping and barking at the lady who was in there before us. I mean, he was barking a high pitched bark and she later told me "his eyes were fixated on me." So, something about her presence set him off. I don't think I was particularly nervous but I was annoyed at Finn b/c he was getting so excitable and yelpy.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm sorry that happened to you....my only advice is that you let your neighbor know that you are taking action to make sure this never happens again & if she's willing enlist her help at some point when things are super calm to leave things on a better level with her and Finn...it always helps to make sure the person who got bit feels/knows that the owner is really (as you are) aware of seriousness of the incident.

I just say this because I had a rescue dog ( yellow lab) who got labeled as vicious because I didn't handle his first bite incident well...by not including the victim in the steps I was taking to prevent another incident.....good luck and let us know what happens

I am definitely going to let my neighbor know that I'm taking action on this. I think she already knows how sorry and distressed I feel about it but I feel like I have not conveyed this enough to her. Finn is my responsibility, he's my dog, I am the one who needs to be able to control him. I certainly don't want him known as the wild dog who chases down and bites neighbors! It would be great if later on down the road, neighbor and Finn could be friends again! She always liked both my boys too...I've contacted a behaviorist for an inhome visit and will wait and see what comes of this.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online