Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm really upset--Finn bit the neighbor!

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Schultz
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry that happened to you....my only advice is that you let your neighbor know that you are taking action to make sure this never happens again & if she's willing enlist her help at some point when things are super calm to leave things on a better level with her and Finn...it always helps to make sure the person who got bit feels/knows that the owner is really (as you are) aware of seriousness of the incident.

I just say this because I had a rescue dog ( yellow lab) who got labeled as vicious because I didn't handle his first bite incident well...by not including the victim in the steps I was taking to prevent another incident.....good luck and let us know what happens

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am ~ author unknown

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I'm really upset--Finn bit the neighbor!

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    Are they used to the elevator? Or does it freak them out a bit?

Were YOU especially nervous when you were riding with the woman? He could have picked up on that and saw the woman as a threat to his pack. Dogs feel our energy! I've seen this in action soooooo many times.

Something triggered the boy.... I know you'll figure out what it is. A bite is just a reaction to something else. He's not inherently mean or even aggressive or anything.... he just acted out. I'm anxious to hear what the behaviorist will say.
    Yes, both of them are quite used to riding up/down the elevator, but it's never been with anyone else but me. Last night, when we were walking towards the elevator, Finn was already yelping and barking at the lady who was in there before us. I mean, he was barking a high pitched bark and she later told me "his eyes were fixated on me." So, something about her presence set him off. I don't think I was particularly nervous but I was annoyed at Finn b/c he was getting so excitable and yelpy.

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Saalwi View Post
    I'm sorry that happened to you....my only advice is that you let your neighbor know that you are taking action to make sure this never happens again & if she's willing enlist her help at some point when things are super calm to leave things on a better level with her and Finn...it always helps to make sure the person who got bit feels/knows that the owner is really (as you are) aware of seriousness of the incident.

I just say this because I had a rescue dog ( yellow lab) who got labeled as vicious because I didn't handle his first bite incident well...by not including the victim in the steps I was taking to prevent another incident.....good luck and let us know what happens
    I am definitely going to let my neighbor know that I'm taking action on this. I think she already knows how sorry and distressed I feel about it but I feel like I have not conveyed this enough to her. Finn is my responsibility, he's my dog, I am the one who needs to be able to control him. I certainly don't want him known as the wild dog who chases down and bites neighbors! It would be great if later on down the road, neighbor and Finn could be friends again! She always liked both my boys too...I've contacted a behaviorist for an inhome visit and will wait and see what comes of this.
    Thanks for sharing your experience.

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post

@cali baker

I'm sorry this happened to you. I had to laugh a little . The way you described Finn chasing the lady down the hall was funny. Im sorry for my dry sense of humor...

Buy the lady a bottle Of Jack Daniels and just show her your sincerity.!
    Good Luck !
    It's okay, as I was running down the hall yelling out my neighbor's name to RUN!! b/c Finn got loose...I felt like i was playing a role in some bad scene in a bad movie...when i caught up to Finn and Tate and the neighbor slammed her door...boy, I was shaking so bad b/c i thought Finn was going to tackle her down and maul her. I had all these wild thoughts in my head! by the time I got everyone back inside...I could've used a shot of Jack Daniels myself!

BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Erin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

I am so sorry this happened. She may have been nervous herself, despite being proclaimed a "dog person" and Finn may have picked up on it. My dobie nipped at my old supervisor and I was extremely lucky that she was so understanding....I apologized profusely and gave her a gift card to Petsmart for her dog. I have never forgotten it though and it freaked me out at the time. It happened so fast and I know it was because he just was skittish around new people. So loving once he got to know you but very wary of newcomers. Is Finn like that...maybe more hesitant about new people?

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Thanks everybody.

I scheduled an appt. w/someone my friend told me about who may be able to assist me with Finn. I knew I've been wanting to consult with someone as Finn exhibits a lot of growling and aggression towards Tate and I've posted before, that Finn usually starts fights w/Tate. Well, last night's incident just made me realize I need to seek help now.

I'll let you all know how the consultation goes...it won't be til next Sat though.

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Rosemarie
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
    Likes (Received)

@cali baker So sorry this happend! I don't have any advice as you already are doing all you can! I just wanted to wish you and your boys luck and hope everything works out for you!
    Everyone wants to kiss a bullie

ImAGuinneyPig

Oh dear. Biting people and aggression towards people is a no-no I am so glad you have set up a consultation with a behaviourist. You and BOTH of your boys will be happier for it. No dog wants to be aggressive. Kudos to you for doing all that you have. It is wonderful that your neighbour is so understanding. Hopefully Finn will get the help he needs to be a balanced member of canine (and human) society

P.S. I need to move to your building where no one has to share an elevator Our is always crammed with people and dogs!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Watson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear what is going on with Finn. Is he neutered?

A few years ago I was bitten by my neighbor's Weimeraner right in the thigh. I was wearing jeans and the bite marks still came through. He called me over to his garage because his garage control was opening our garage as well and as soon as I stepped in the dog got loose and chomped on my thigh. Needless to say I tried to avoid the dog from then on. I can understand your neighbor's fear.

Hope things work out for you and Finn.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Will - Killer of All Ninjas
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack Daniels
    Likes (Received)

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    @Jack Daniels, you are hilarious!

Yeah, Jack better make some room for Finn...they'll be cell mates soon!
    Last edited by cali baker; 03-02-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I feel a little more relieved...I just got off the phone with Karen, the behaviorist. She'll be over next Sat to evaluate Finn (and Tate too).
    She has a very calming voice. That's already a big plus right there!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads