Need Help with Food Switch

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
So I have Brutus who is 9 months old on Solid Gold Lamb & Rice Puppy Food! He has been on that since he came home (breeder used Diamond) slow switch at 12 weeks. The past 2 weeks I have been noticing he has been licking his paws and his eyes are red! I have been scared to take him off puppy food before 12 months but after getting a lot of advice from other members IM NOT SCARED ANYMORE :tease: So we have decided that we are going to try grain free to start! We have decided on the Fromm Beef Frittata all stages. If this doesnt stop him from licking his paws we are going to cut to the chase and perform allergy testing. He isnt chewing his paws but licks here and there after eating. With all stages about how many cups a day would I start with. Right now fat boy lol he is eating 4 cups a day of puppy food. Any advice would be helpful

Thank you

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No more than two cups a day... we did 1 cup AM and PM since 10 months

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Okay thanks! It seems like not alot of food lol The puppy food states 1/12 2x a day but I did extra 1/2 each feeding bc he always seemed hungry! Great info and thanks for the advice! 62$ for 24lbs and I htought I was gonna continue 4 cups a day I was saying to myself OMG! lol Thanks again

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Okay thanks! It seems like not alot of food lol The puppy food states 1/12 2x a day but I did extra 1/2 each feeding bc he always seemed hungry! Great info and thanks for the advice! 62$ for 24lbs and I htought I was gonna continue 4 cups a day I was saying to myself OMG! lol Thanks again

They can be very food motivated --- use it to your advantage for training. I get Fromm Beef Fritatta get the large bag (I think 28lbs) at $65.00, but it last for two months since I only use 3 cups a day. 2 for Banks and 1 for Cheli

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] Yes I have to use food to get him to do so many things lol I want to feed him less store bought things and more healthy stuff along with his food! I was spending so much on the blue buffalo salmon treats and figured it was healthier for him to get homemade treats(vegt, fruit) This week I am starting him on eggs :fart: I hope no more :fart: or not as bad :lol: His coat is good, no scratching but I have noticed some licking of his paws not much but I also wanted to switch him off Solid Gold as I feel more comfortable switching him to adult stages. His poo has also been getting soft so well see how the beef fritatta goes if no good we will do allergy test so we dont go crazy with changing food too much! Thanks and I will keep you posted

Most Reactions