LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Ok so here it is....THE REPLY.
I have to say, I am impressed with how quickly they responded. I'm not sure how to take their response though...it almost leaves me shrugging my shoulders and scratching my head and saying 'well i guess'. What do you all think? ([MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] you were waiting for this)

"Ashley,

Thanks for your inquiry. Briefly the rationale behind the nutrition aspect is that dogs and cats are carnivores, not omnivores like humans. As such they afforded a certain set of biochemistry that leads to a different nutritional set and how they are able to break food down to be able to use it. Not all raw diets are the same, and from our experience the one that works best for most animals is the Abady frozen raw.

In regards to the products if they are medically acceptable to the situation being used for and contain ingredients that are true to the packaging, than we can consider their use for a situation. Unfortunately some stores sell goods that could be considered unacceptable, or contain ingredients that make the product riskier to use than other available treatments. Without specifics it is tough to comment further.

We maintain records to the best of our ability. To date we have not received any fines for improper hospital operation from the State of Massachusetts, a fact we uphold by the maintainenance of the entire hospital.

It is frustrating to hear about your past problems with prednisone and would be interesting to hear more. Prednisone would not typically treat the problem, but the symptoms derived from the initial problem. As a medicine however its safety and efficacy has been well established if dosing protocols are followed and allergic reactions to the medicine are noted.

We have about a dozen active English Bulldogs but have cared for many over the years. They are a tough breed to have as part of the family-- the wrinkling while cute comes at the price of constant frictional rubbing, leading to long term irritation and inflammation problems. However with regular cleaning using mild cleaning agents this can be decreased. They also have their joint/heart problems that makes getting attached to them a heartwrenching relationship.

The first exam fee is $45.00, but can range from 22 to 25 depending on the type of visit. Nail trims are $15.00 and anal gland expressions are $25.00. We are capable of performing a surgical procedure to remove the anal glands, and have done so successfully for many dogs.

We hope this allays some of your concerns. Please contact us if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

PAH "

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Why did he mention 'We maintain records to the best of our ability. To date we have not received any fines for improper hospital operation from the State of Massachusetts, a fact we uphold by the maintainenance of the entire hospital.'
Did I mention something that would have prompted something about Fines and hospital operations?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Wow, it seems as if they're only going around your concerns and not addressing them. I'd find another vet. I switched my boys to a holistic clinic, but they do recommend non-holistic remedies if necessary. For instance, they gave Stig antibiotics for when he had UTI and Punkin was given a mild steroid ear drops for his yeasty ears. Have you looked into it? I found my clinic by joining a local natural rearing group on Yahoo.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
They also have their joint/heart problems that makes getting attached to them a heartwrenching relationship.

This is a strange thing to point out to a bully owner. Very blunt, I guess!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Thanx you for asking my opinion.... not that it is worth much.. LOL

I would ask you; Was there anything in that reply that made you feel that you would want them to treat your precious baby???

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@AshleyWoodman what a great note you sent them and I think their reply SUCKED.... move on. Talk with @savemejeebus about finding a group on Yahoo that may help in finding the right vet for you in your area. I told our vet office ONCE - no predizone... and it is never brought up when we have issues. And, he also always suggest some thing over the counter or home remedy before do a script.

You are not asking for much and are being very straight forward and honest with them.

Side note -- my vet office is extremely busy -- six doctors and 20 tech/assistance. The building is small, but they run such a caring facility that they are worth the wait and hour drive

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think the reply seems a bit cold. Just my opinion. I would agree that they don't seem to like EBs too much.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Thank you everyone!!! I wasn't very impressed with the response from that vet either. Thanks for the link, i'll check that out. And asking the bulldog rescue, i never thought of that. I hope I find one soon.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
So I basically sent the same email that I sent to Dr Wang to a few others and here is one of the responses I received (this is the best one) so I may give them a try...although my jaw is still dropped from the prices! I am trying to tell myself 'you get what you pay for'. I actually emailed them on Tue, received a response Tuesday stating they got my email and would like to take some time to respond to it, so they will email me the next day. Guess what? They actually did what they said they were going to do and emailed me!! I'm impressed with just that.

Ashley,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you we had a busy day. I do think we would be a good fit for you. We see 16 English Bulldogs in our practice currently. Dr. Rogers formerly worked at Slade in Framingham and saw a large number of Bulldogs at that practice some of which followed her here. She had hand raised an English bulldog puppy in the past as well.
Both Dr. Caviness and Dr. Rogers use a combined approach to treating pets. Both doctors are open to clients that prefer an alternative approach to treating their pets.
We offer all the services a general veterinary practice offers along with acupuncture, Chiropractic, massage, Reiki and flower essence, a full Chinese herbal pharmacy and low level laser treatments. I'm sure there are things I am forgetting.

A sample of some of our prices:

Exam New Patient: 79.00$
Exam Annual: 64.00$
Rabies Vaccine:22.00$
Distemper/Parvo titers: 38.00$ we titer instead of automatically vaccinating
4DX heartworm test:51.00$
Fecal: 30.00$
Nail Trim:22$
Anal Glands:31.00$

Please let me know if you have any more questions or if I can help you at all.

Kris Hanley (Vet Tech)
So...
1.emailed me same day
2.did what they said
3.see 16 EB's
4.one vet used to have an EB
5.they do a distemper titer instead of vaccinating right away!!!
6.combine both alternative and conventional

I just have to get over those prices!! AND convince my bf the prices are worth it

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I like that second vet. They actually answered your questions. I don't think their prices are so bad. Abby's regular vet gets 72.00 for the initial visit, 42.00 for follow-ups and 19 for what they call "brief visits". 41.00 for the distemper 5 in 1, 43 for stool testing and 47 for urinalysis. I don't know what they charge for nail cutting, she always just does that if Abby needs it and I never see it on the bill.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.