OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I'm a posting machine!!! I feel better though...Thanks everyone!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our first (and only) vet visit was $250. That was an exam, antibiotics, anithistamine, ear drops, heartworm test...exam ok, antibiotics eh fine, antihistamine...can't I use benadryl, ear drops...won't the antibi, Iotics help that, heartworm test..i give him interceptor every month..does he really need a test? If only we were close to PA...we actually got Bruin from Ephrata and Lilly from Lititz.

Yes, you can give Benedryl or Zyrtec ... 1 mg per pound per dose. Banks is 60lb and I give her 50mg in the AM and again in the PM. I am not far from there... about 45 mins.

BoozysMom

Mar 1, 2012
Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
boozy
The best thing I did for my bully (and my boston) was to see a veterinary dermatologist. An intradermal skin test got to the root of the allergy issue. Now both my dogs are on allergen vaccine twice a week and we havent had to use any medications or special shampoos/ear flushes. Apparenty the blood test is very inaccurate and gives false results (which I found to be true in the past with my mastiff). The initial cost was frightening but in the long run it has paid for itself with not having vet visits every couple months and expensive prescriptions. I do still feed Purina HA because it is nutritionally balanced which is something I was concerned about when I fed homecooked bland diets. I also found out from the dermatologist that chicken is a high allergen food for most dogs as is rice and when feeding home cooked its best to use rabbit as a novel protein source and add in some sweet potato for fiber.

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
absolutely not over-reacting. my vet office always calls back the same day, and they always make follow-up calls for a week after any procedure or problem. if i ask to speak to a vet instead of a technician, the vet will call me back the same day. i think this is, or should be, normal protocol. regardless of what you spend on a vet, this is common courtesy, good business practice, and accountable medical practice!

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=4439]BoozysMom[/MENTION] I've read the blood test can be inaccurate but I really prefer not to do the intradermal only because I don't want to unnecessarily sedate him. Fortunately I don't think Bruin is bad enough where he would need allergen shots. I'm really wondering if his immune system just sucks and that's the problem. If the Earthborn Meadowfeast doesn't help then the Nupro doesn't do anything then I think I'll do the elimination diet. I'm really trying to avoid Rx products at all costs. If it comes down to it though, I'll have to give it a whirl. I'll absolutely keep rabbit in mind too, thanks for that!

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
absolutely not over-reacting. my vet office always calls back the same day, and they always make follow-up calls for a week after any procedure or problem. if i ask to speak to a vet instead of a technician, the vet will call me back the same day. i think this is, or should be, normal protocol. regardless of what you spend on a vet, this is common courtesy, good business practice, and accountable medical practice!

I agree! Do they have to take customer service classes when going through vet school? If not, they should!!

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I'm going to copy & paste what I just wrote to a potential new vet.....let me know if you think I've probably scared them away and I won't do it in the future.

"I am searching for a new vet. I've been through 3 in the last 2 years. Unfortunately, I am losing patience and need to be 'to the point'. I prefer not to make you say 'Oh my goodness, we don't want her as a client' but I'd rather not waste either of our time. :)

Some of the reasons I left previous vets are:
They are product pushers (Hill's, Iams, Royal Canin etc)
Not knowledgable of English Bulldogs (I have 2 EB's).
Can't refer any products besides the ones they sell (ear solutions, supplements, etc), even if I bring the product in for them and they can look at the label...they refuse too.
Notes are not made (Example: I have a bulldog that has allergies, I told them I will never use prednisone (due to past experience), why did they feel the need to mention prednisone to me everytime we talked about his allergies. That note should have been made. And this was the same doctor mentioning it over and over!)

I hope this does not make me sound high maintenance (I'm really not, I'm not the type to call for every vomit)

I am very much hoping your facility is different. Your website explains that you promote raw/low grain diets, which I love to see. You don't have any ads or links to manufacturers like Hills or Royal Canin. You caution about over-vaccination. I am more than ecstatic to see that Doctor Wang has even studied Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine. Honestly, my hopes are up now.

Please tell me that Doctor Wang is the type of vet that won't push products on me and on my second visit will actually remember or have notated our first visit. Would you be able to send me a price listing perhaps? Just basic services like exam, nails, anal glands, etc. How many English Bulldogs do you have as clients?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. As I mentioned above, I really am frustrated and tired of going to vets that only care about their bottom line. I don't know what else to do.

Thank you
Ashley"

Yes his name is Dr Wang :blush: and I think I can get past this as long as he's an awesome vet, :lol:

BoozysMom

Mar 1, 2012
Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
boozy
Have an IgA (immunoglobulin A) level done. If the level is too low oral alpha interferon may boost the level and in turn increase his immune systems abililty to respond properly. I had to do this with my boston. after 2 years he was able to stop the alpha iterferon and his IgA levels continue to be normal. Good luck with what ever you do. If you have any questions please ask. I've been dealing with allergy issues for years, boozy is my 3rd allergic dog.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I'm going to copy & paste what I just wrote to a potential new vet.....let me know if you think I've probably scared them away and I won't do it in the future.

"I am searching for a new vet. I've been through 3 in the last 2 years. Unfortunately, I am losing patience and need to be 'to the point'. I prefer not to make you say 'Oh my goodness, we don't want her as a client' but I'd rather not waste either of our time. :)

Some of the reasons I left previous vets are:
They are product pushers (Hill's, Iams, Royal Canin etc)
Not knowledgable of English Bulldogs (I have 2 EB's).
Can't refer any products besides the ones they sell (ear solutions, supplements, etc), even if I bring the product in for them and they can look at the label...they refuse too.
Notes are not made (Example: I have a bulldog that has allergies, I told them I will never use prednisone (due to past experience), why did they feel the need to mention prednisone to me everytime we talked about his allergies. That note should have been made. And this was the same doctor mentioning it over and over!)

I hope this does not make me sound high maintenance (I'm really not, I'm not the type to call for every vomit)

I am very much hoping your facility is different. Your website explains that you promote raw/low grain diets, which I love to see. You don't have any ads or links to manufacturers like Hills or Royal Canin. You caution about over-vaccination. I am more than ecstatic to see that Doctor Wang has even studied Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine. Honestly, my hopes are up now.

Please tell me that Doctor Wang is the type of vet that won't push products on me and on my second visit will actually remember or have notated our first visit. Would you be able to send me a price listing perhaps? Just basic services like exam, nails, anal glands, etc. How many English Bulldogs do you have as clients?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. As I mentioned above, I really am frustrated and tired of going to vets that only care about their bottom line. I don't know what else to do.

Thank you
Ashley"

Yes his name is Dr Wang :blush: and I think I can get past this as long as he's an awesome vet, :lol:

I'll be anxious to hear how they respond.... if at all.... LOL ;) Better practice saying Dr. Wang with a straight face before going there :ROFL:

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
[MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] Do you think I shouldn't have written that? Oh geez! Well, if they don't responsed then they're not the vet for me! I'm sick and tired of these vets and I'm putting my foot down! I mean business! :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
NO NONO.... I LIKE what you wrote... lays it on the line for them... :)

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We had a Dr. Wang once (people doc though :)) and it was actually pronounced like Wong, just a heads up lol

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
We had a Dr. Wang once (people doc though :)) and it was actually pronounced like Wong, just a heads up lol

:lol:Thanks I'll have to wait for the vet tech to say 'Dr Wang/Wong will be right with you"

Members online

No members online now.